Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | scam warning

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

scam warning

Old 26-03-2015, 12:21   #1
lightboy
Inactive

Services: Sky HD World Virgin 150MB
lightboy is an unknown quantity at this point
scam warning

I have just received an official looking letter purporting to be from sky saying thet they owe me a refund it then gives a number to ring 08081014437
and to give payment details for refund . sounded dodgy so contacted sky direct via website and they confirmed my suspicions.
the letter looked very authentic.
lightboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2015, 12:29   #2
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
Re: scam warning

We got a similar letter a few weeks back saying they owed us just less than £10 which was about the amount we were in credit when we left Sky many years ago. At the time we decided to leave it as it was a pretty traumatic experience trying to cancel.

Anyway, I rang the number and it was an automated system the only info they wanted was the ref no from the letter and within a few days a cheque arrived.

So I would say it's pretty genuine.

Edit

Bit more info here.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 13:02   #3
lightboy
Inactive

I spoke to a sky operator online and they said to ignore it i wasnt due any refund that only applies to former customers, i still subscribe and the account number they gave on the letter wasnt my account number. i think someone is trying to take advantage of the fact that sky are refunding some old customers.
Old 26-03-2015, 13:07   #4
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

If it's a scam it's a pretty bad one as the phone number is a genuine Sky number.

See here: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...and-users.html

Did you semi-recently move house? It may be that account number is an old one which has credit still on there that needs to be returned.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2015, 13:10   #5
lightboy
Inactive

weird because sky told me to ignore it , it wasnt genuine, maybe one department isnt talking to another dunno.
Old 26-03-2015, 13:21   #6
Stop It
Inactive

Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightboy View Post
weird because sky told me to ignore it , it wasnt genuine, maybe one department isnt talking to another dunno.
Haha, possibly they were trying not to give you money you were actually entitled to!

Either way, that letter is honestly either genuine, or a mistake, but it certainly isn't a scam.
Old 26-03-2015, 13:31   #7
lightboy
Inactive

After much hassle sky have now confirmed it is a genuine letter but they still have no record of me needing a refund. hmm.
Old 26-03-2015, 13:57   #8
Stop It
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightboy View Post
After much hassle sky have now confirmed it is a genuine letter but they still have no record of me needing a refund. hmm.
Good luck getting Sky to give you money back that they clearly don't want to give you it seems.
Old 26-03-2015, 15:24   #9
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
We got a similar letter a few weeks back saying they owed us just less than £10 which was about the amount we were in credit when we left Sky many years ago. At the time we decided to leave it as it was a pretty traumatic experience trying to cancel.

Anyway, I rang the number and it was an automated system the only info they wanted was the ref no from the letter and within a few days a cheque arrived.

So I would say it's pretty genuine.

Edit

Bit more info here.

Cheers

Grim
We did exactly the same , it was an old account we had years ago , we called the automated number and received a cheque for the amount on the letter about 10 days after.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 21:22   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/new...e-for-a-refund