Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC Red Button

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Black Screen Recordings!

Old 07-06-2011, 20:13   #1
kenoliver

Exclamation Black Screen Recordings!

Since Sunday I have started to get Black Screen Recordings

What I mean by this is, I set a recording, but when I go to watch it it is Black screen, the length will show the correct time, but the recording content is Zero and the screen is black

This started on Sunday with my attempt to record "The Dammed United" on BBC 2, now when I go to the channel in this case BBC 2, I get a message telling me I am not subscribed to the channel on my package !!!! of course I am, I'm on XL and its BBC 2

But when I go back and delete the Black Screen recording, then go back to the relevant channel again BBC 2, all is well the channel is there

So far this as happened on BBC 2 and Sky 1 HD,

So any one else had this? before I ring up and complain though I would just post it on here to see if I am alone with this one
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2011, 20:16   #2
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack
Re: Black Screen Recordings !!

This sounds similar (but not exactly the same) to a couple of things I've read on here. The 'fix' was to actually power the TiVo down (either switch off at the wall or the switch on the back) for a minute or two then turn back on. The few who did this said it solved their problems, but like I said, I think it's similar but not totally the same issue.
Old 07-06-2011, 20:16   #3
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Were you having BB problems as well as I was over the past couple of days and this was also affecting the TIVO box as well, where on certain channels I was getting a black screen.
Do not know if they could be connected as well?
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 20:44   #4
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Were you having BB problems as well as I was over the past couple of days and this was also affecting the TIVO box as well, where on certain channels I was getting a black screen.
Do not know if they could be connected as well?
You know I never connected the two things, and yes I have had slow BB problems over the weekend, just didn't think i would effect TiVo, although it as a BB connection doesn't it

I did in fact set some recording via the web site, and none of them recorded

I'l give it a couple of days to see if it clears up, thanks for the tip

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by savvychels View Post
This sounds similar (but not exactly the same) to a couple of things I've read on here. The 'fix' was to actually power the TiVo down (either switch off at the wall or the switch on the back) for a minute or two then turn back on. The few who did this said it solved their problems, but like I said, I think it's similar but not totally the same issue.
I did think about doing that and I know its what VM support will tell me to do

Just thought Id see if it was a problem for others before I tried to do anything myself
Old 07-06-2011, 20:52   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Black Screen Recordings!

REboot the box then force a connection to the servers in the setting menu. That should clear the blank channel/recording issues.
Old 07-06-2011, 20:53   #6
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

A reboot should fix your "not subscribed" issue, as Savvychels says.

You may not get those recordings though
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 21:29   #7
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
REboot the box then force a connection to the servers in the setting menu. That should clear the blank channel/recording issues.
Thanks will try that after the football as finished
Old 07-06-2011, 22:30   #8
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

Had this a couple of days ago, rang Tivo support and told to power down/up box. May have to repeat this again over time. Never had to do this once with my V+ over 4 years so not impressed I am now part of "service maintenance".
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 23:26   #9
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

You never had to reboot your V+? You were lucky.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 23:31   #10
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Just completed the reboot, that went ok took about 7 minutes to get a picture back

The connect to the network took a lot longer, once connected it downloaded a file (I think it was a file) then installed the file, the install took 25 minutes, then it returned to picture

My tonights recordings (two) were black screen, so I've got nothing scheduled till tomorrow , so hope it will be ok then

Must say Its another disappointment to add to the other TiVo disappointments suffered so far. I still hang in there in the hope all will get sorted out as the roll out continues

Still feel like a bit of a guinea pig though, and I have paid £149.99 for the privilege
Old 07-06-2011, 23:41   #11
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoliver View Post
Just completed the reboot, that went ok took about 7 minutes to get a picture back

The connect to the network took a lot longer, once connected it downloaded a file (I think it was a file) then installed the file, the install took 25 minutes, then it returned to picture
You do know that you can watch TV while it's making a network connection, do you? Once you've started the connection you can press TV and continue to use the box as normal.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 23:52   #12
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
You do know that you can watch TV while it's making a network connection, do you? Once you've started the connection you can press TV and continue to use the box as normal.
I didn't relise that but I did have a good time watching the install complete

Better than the Black screen that is
Old 08-06-2011, 09:55   #13
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Not good for you but finally I am glad that I am not the only one that has been hit by the blank screen recordings.
I've only had it happen twice but the not authorised to this channel during trying to watch just normal live tv is making me potty. It's getting to the point where the wife is now saying why did we get a HD tv and a supposed HD box when I try to go to the the HD channels they don't work until a reboot and 80% of the time I am recording something elsewhere so can't reboot at that time.

This is a bigger issue for me than any red button, reminder missing or global padding. You should be able to switch to a channel and it be there to watch without having to do a reboot to fix it!
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:11   #14
kenoliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
Not good for you but finally I am glad that I am not the only one that has been hit by the blank screen recordings.
I've only had it happen twice but the not authorised to this channel during trying to watch just normal live tv is making me potty. It's getting to the point where the wife is now saying why did we get a HD tv and a supposed HD box when I try to go to the the HD channels they don't work until a reboot and 80% of the time I am recording something elsewhere so can't reboot at that time.

This is a bigger issue for me than any red button, reminder missing or global padding. You should be able to switch to a channel and it be there to watch without having to do a reboot to fix it!
Totally agree with all your comments

I to am being questioned about the outlay for a system that is full of problems,

Silly things like not being able to watch BBC2 as the channel is Black Screen with a message saying we are not subscribed to the channel when we pay for the XL TV package

I have rebooted and re authorised my system, but i doing this have lost recordings, so that's another thing to add to my list of "why did we do it "

Its getting harder to justify spending all this money on a system thats worse than what we had (Help)
Old 08-06-2011, 10:22   #15
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoliver View Post
Totally agree with all your comments

I to am being questioned about the outlay for a system that is full of problems,

Silly things like not being able to watch BBC2 as the channel is Black Screen with a message saying we are not subscribed to the channel when we pay for the XL TV package

I have rebooted and re authorised my system, but i doing this have lost recordings, so that's another thing to add to my list of "why did we do it "

Its getting harder to justify spending all this money on a system thats worse than what we had (Help)
O boy makes me glad that I didnt go for it. As my old man aways said about buying a new car - wait for Mark 2 !!!
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote