Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PS3 Audio the revenge

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

PS3 Audio the revenge

Old 29-09-2010, 14:51   #1
ninjatim01
Inactive

ninjatim01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question PS3 Audio the revenge

After some debating i'm stumped again. I bought an Onkyo-605 and have it setup as follows

PS3 -> HDMI -> Onkyo

Onkyo -> HDMI -> TV

When i put a game on eg. GTA IV, the Onkyo says 7.1 which is awesome. You can really tell the difference in sound quality from 5.1

Blu-ray is also great (even though its only 5.1)

Here's the problem.............. Games/Blu-ray work great! however, if i download a trailer from the PSN, there is no sound. Also standard DVD's also have no sound. Its not all DVD's but some older ones. I tried using an optical cable instead to the Onkyo and then everything works fine but no 7.1 on games only 5.1 i know its a bit petty but i paid for a 7.1 system and i personally think its more immersive. Please help!!!!!!
ninjatim01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2010, 06:56   #2
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice
Re: PS3 Audio the revenge

7.1 PCM is not available from optical The highest Via optical PCM is 2.1..
Only HDMI can do 7.1
You also will need to set up the HDMI audio options manually. To include the audio supported depending on the PS3 model you have.
FAT PS3 can't bit stream DTS-MA or Dolby True HD audio. So there's no point allowing the PS3 to even attempt that so turning them both off will force the PS3 to decode both and feed PCM 7.1 to the amp over HDMI.

The SLIM PS3 can bitstream all bitstream audio over HDMI. But it's still better not to rely on automatic and turn on all audio codecs and frequencies your amp supports manually.
You also have to set the BD/DVD options you have to select PCM OR bitstream.
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:42   #3
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Only some Blu Ray movies will be in 7.1

All games that use Dolby Digital will only be a max of 5.1
Old 04-10-2010, 13:47   #4
ninjatim01
Inactive

ninjatim01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDiamond View Post
7.1 PCM is not available from optical The highest Via optical PCM is 2.1..
Only HDMI can do 7.1
You also will need to set up the HDMI audio options manually. To include the audio supported depending on the PS3 model you have.
FAT PS3 can't bit stream DTS-MA or Dolby True HD audio. So there's no point allowing the PS3 to even attempt that so turning them both off will force the PS3 to decode both and feed PCM 7.1 to the amp over HDMI.

The SLIM PS3 can bitstream all bitstream audio over HDMI. But it's still better not to rely on automatic and turn on all audio codecs and frequencies your amp supports manually.
You also have to set the BD/DVD options you have to select PCM OR bitstream.
I have done manual codec select but it still doesn't work, i'll check the BD/DVD is on bit stream but i'm sure it already is.

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Only some Blu Ray movies will be in 7.1

All games that use Dolby Digital will only be a max of 5.1
All my games bar ruse are pumping out 7.1 though
ninjatim01 is offline   Reply With Quote