Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is there a max of 1,000 series links?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Is there a max of 1,000 series links?

Old 21-08-2017, 19:19   #16
jj20x

Re: Is there a max of 1,000 series links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The majority are inactive remnants from Radio 4 short form series as one of the USP's of TiVo is that it will use these to start a new series without any user intervention.
Unless it happens to be "American Horror Story", which fails to do that every year. (Obviously AHS has nothing to do with Radio 4. )
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2017, 00:44   #17
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Why anyone would need 1,000 series links let alone more is totally beyond comprehension.

There's only 24hrs in a day A majority taken up by sleeping, preparing and eating a meal etc.
Depends how many people are in the house. If you have 2 adults and 2 (or more) kids in the house, all with different tastes, it's entirely possible to build up a lot of series links. Especially when you factor in those that have ended, but you haven't deleted the link in case it's repeated one day.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 09:31   #18
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Depends how many people are in the house. If you have 2 adults and 2 (or more) kids in the house, all with different tastes, it's entirely possible to build up a lot of series links. Especially when you factor in those that have ended, but you haven't deleted the link in case it's repeated one day.
Yes, and it's not wise to delete series links willy nilly because by keeping them on there, your device will pick up new seies of those programmes for you as well.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 13:26   #19
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
Unless it happens to be "American Horror Story", which fails to do that every year. (Obviously AHS has nothing to do with Radio 4. )
Where by another TiVo USP kicks in and should be used, Wishlists. As far as I know each series has American Horror Story in the title followed by x, problem solved
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 14:55   #20
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Where by another TiVo USP kicks in and should be used, Wishlists. As far as I know each series has American Horror Story in the title followed by x, problem solved
Which then goes on to record all of the repeats of earlier seasons on 5Star etc, so still less than ideal.
Old 24-08-2017, 15:10   #21
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, and it's not wise to delete series links willy nilly because by keeping them on there, your device will pick up new seies of those programmes for you as well.
For once we agree OB.
Old 24-08-2017, 17:38   #22
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Which then goes on to record all of the repeats of earlier seasons on 5Star etc, so still less than ideal.
Not sure how many channels it's on as I don't watch it but if only Fox and 5Star then perhaps select record in HD and new episodes only.

I agree it is one of those awkward series links, but there are not that many shows that change titles every season. I wonder how Sky deals with this on Sky+ or Sky Q

Last edited by Joedm45; 24-08-2017 at 17:47.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 17:56   #23
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
But how similar do two programmes need to be to be considered in the same series? There is no 'right' answer. It's a matter of opinion.

I recently had this discussion about "Wild Alaska" vs. "Wild Alaska Live". Should they be linked? And what about all those programmes with "CSI" in the title?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 21:08   #24
jj20x

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
But how similar do two programmes need to be to be considered in the same series? There is no 'right' answer. It's a matter of opinion.

I recently had this discussion about "Wild Alaska" vs. "Wild Alaska Live". Should they be linked? And what about all those programmes with "CSI" in the title?
But they are different. I wouldn't expect a Dark Matter series link to automatically record Dark Matter After Dark for example.

Not quite the same thing with American Horror Story, each season has a "sub title" which, unfortunately, breaks the series link.
Old 25-08-2017, 15:34   #25
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

Is there any way to find out if my assumption that there is a max of 1,000 SL's allowed is correct?

I'm reluctant to start deleting some, but will scrap and Radio 4 series if I have to.
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 18:18   #26
Jacquesb
cf.addict

Services: VM phone , 2xV6 (Full house XL), ViViD200 Optical fibre BB. Stream - Netflix, iPlayer,
Jacquesb is an unknown quantity at this point

Good question Richard - notice that nobody managed to give you a "straight answer"!
Old 25-08-2017, 18:20   #27
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Because it would appear that no one on here has had that challenge...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 18:52   #28
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Is there any way to find out if my assumption that there is a max of 1,000 SL's allowed is correct?

I'm reluctant to start deleting some, but will scrap and Radio 4 series if I have to.
I really don't know how you manage to watch and listen to so much, Richard.

I have not counted my series links on my previous Tivo box, but I don't think I had accumulated 500 in five years! As you haven't even possessed your current box for a year yet, accruing anything close to 1,000 series links is quite a feat.

Have you contacted the Guinness Book of Records? I'm sure they will be amazed!

However, all I can say in answer to your question is that to the best of my knowledge, there is no limit. However, I am sure that when you pass the 1,000 mark and you have the answer to your own question, you will let us know!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 18:53   #29
neilo
cf.addict

Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
neilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to allneilo is a name known to all

Oh this is just fantastic! By far the best one yet.
neilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 19:32   #30
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Why not try and go over 1000??

It may be it is a display limit rather than a physical limit.

Would be interested to know
Quote:

ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote