Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 14-12-2016, 15:28   #2386
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Double check what it says on your bill, not on the main My VM.

There is a bug on the My VM homepage at the moment where the older Talk Plans which only cover VM Mobiles e.g Talk Unlimited show as the new plans that cover all UK Mobiles.

It's the only place it is wrong. On your main bill it's correct and your charges align to that.
Just had it confirmed that I was on the Old plan and they moved me to new one and reduced my bill

I tried to get my V6 installation brought forward but wasn't able to. Gives me more time to get rid my recordings I guess lol

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 14-12-2016 at 16:30.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2016, 17:22   #2387
markliffen@googl
Inactive

markliffen@googl is on a distinguished roadmarkliffen@googl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Just had it confirmed that I was on the Old plan and they moved me to new one and reduced my bill

I tried to get my V6 installation brought forward but wasn't able to. Gives me more time to get rid my recordings I guess lol

Hi don't know if you remember me. But we bought our v6 boxes at the same time anf there was some confusion if there was 2 pm the order. Well I got given a install date of 1st Feb so rung the other day to try to bring that fate forward woman said if she canceled and restarted the order I would get a closet date she processed order and put both through at 64.95 this time . Long story short just had my install and indeed was 2x boxes just to set your mind to rest lol
markliffen@googl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 17:31   #2388
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by markliffen@googl View Post
Hi don't know if you remember me. But we bought our v6 boxes at the same time anf there was some confusion if there was 2 pm the order. Well I got given a install date of 1st Feb so rung the other day to try to bring that fate forward woman said if she canceled and restarted the order I would get a closet date she processed order and put both through at 64.95 this time . Long story short just had my install and indeed was 2x boxes just to set your mind to rest lol
Hi Mark, yeah I remember the confusion lol

Good to know you did get the two boxes. I have to wait until Feb for my install, but I'm pretty sure that I'll get two boxes too. Being on VIP we got a box for free which is always sweet and we weren't just going mad lol

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 14-12-2016 at 17:34.
Old 14-12-2016, 17:37   #2389
markliffen@googl
Inactive

markliffen@googl is on a distinguished roadmarkliffen@googl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Hi Mark, yeah I remember the confusion lol

Good to know you did get the two boxes. I have to wait until Feb for my install, but I'm pretty sure that I'll get two boxes too. Being on VIP we got a box for free which is always sweet
I actualy got a sweeter deal. When the confusion was going on I phoned and got them to charge me for another box so 114.99 for two. Then found out I should have a free box as VIP so rang up and after a fight got a credit applied for 49.98 . When she cancels that order and did the new for 64.99 the credit remained so I actually for 2x v6 boxes at a cost of 19 pound lol
Old 14-12-2016, 17:54   #2390
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by markliffen@googl View Post
I actualy got a sweeter deal. When the confusion was going on I phoned and got them to charge me for another box so 114.99 for two. Then found out I should have a free box as VIP so rang up and after a fight got a credit applied for 49.98 . When she cancels that order and did the new for 64.99 the credit remained so I actually for 2x v6 boxes at a cost of 19 pound lol
Haha nice one, even better. Jammy git lol
Old 14-12-2016, 18:24   #2391
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Personally speaking i think its a bit premature to be rushing in for these V6 boxes, I'm going to wait a few months to let them settle down and iron out any bugs that may be there, and hopefully they are a bit cheaper too.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 19:11   #2392
PtolemyIV
cf.member

PtolemyIV is an unknown quantity at this point

So I had a little bit of a dramatic install today... not great when wife at home trying to deal with virgin media install guy herself!

Our basic setup is virgin media superhub 2c in modem mode connected to a netgear r7000 router that runs dd-wrt and connects to a vpn itself to route all traffic through such

So at some point I get a call from the install guy saying "it's not working" - I ask why.. all he claims is "it has to be plugged in directly to the hub" - I ask if that is really true - "yes it is - hub only and other one has to connect to virgin wifi only". I complain and say that I'll cancel the order then since I refuse to be restricted to virgin's all-in router given its limitations etc. Then I wonder if the VPN is confusing the V6 box - so I get the wife to switch off the VPN.. box then seems to connect / install and the guys promptly leave (in the interim his manager turned up as well after the original install guy disappeared from the property for half an hour).

So I now get home - both boxes are showing the tv. The secondary V6 box is connected to the internal wifi on my own router and seems to be working okay. However both boxes are showing "On demand is temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few minutes."

I ask the wife if she knows anything and apparently the guys made some claim that there is still a few things to be set up in the background... and that it should all be working by tonight! Seems a bit odd to me..

Has anyone else experienced similar after an install?

And, also, does anyone else run a VPN on their router and verified if they can re-enable it and actually use the V6 behind such?

Thanks
PtolemyIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 19:26   #2393
markliffen@googl
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtolemyIV View Post
So I had a little bit of a dramatic install today... not great when wife at home trying to deal with virgin media install guy herself!

Our basic setup is virgin media superhub 2c in modem mode connected to a netgear r7000 router that runs dd-wrt and connects to a vpn itself to route all traffic through such

So at some point I get a call from the install guy saying "it's not working" - I ask why.. all he claims is "it has to be plugged in directly to the hub" - I ask if that is really true - "yes it is - hub only and other one has to connect to virgin wifi only". I complain and say that I'll cancel the order then since I refuse to be restricted to virgin's all-in router given its limitations etc. Then I wonder if the VPN is confusing the V6 box - so I get the wife to switch off the VPN.. box then seems to connect / install and the guys promptly leave (in the interim his manager turned up as well after the original install guy disappeared from the property for half an hour).

So I now get home - both boxes are showing the tv. The secondary V6 box is connected to the internal wifi on my own router and seems to be working okay. However both boxes are showing "On demand is temporarily unavailable. Please try again in a few minutes."

I ask the wife if she knows anything and apparently the guys made some claim that there is still a few things to be set up in the background... and that it should all be working by tonight! Seems a bit odd to me..

Has anyone else experienced similar after an install?

And, also, does anyone else run a VPN on their router and verified if they can re-enable it and actually use the V6 behind such?

Thanks
No idea on the vpn side of things sorry. But I had my 2x installed todsy and within a few mins of him conecting the boxes and calling virgin to activate everything was working as it should
Old 14-12-2016, 22:41   #2394
Alex_gregory_uk
cf.member

Alex_gregory_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I phoned up today and spoke with a woman who didn't seem to have much of a clue. She said I paid £90 a month currently but with the new box would be over £100. I said I thought it was the same monthly price but a one off payment. She said wait a minute, then came back and said yes, your right it would be £90 a month and a one off payment. I said, that's strange as I only pay £61 a month at the moment. Again she went off and came back saying she could do it for £63 a month. I said forget it as didn't want to pay more a month so off she went again and came back saying she could do it for £60 a month with a one off fee of £64.95 or similar. She gave an installation date of 14th Feb.

I am on the following package with two Tivo boxes.
Full House (XL) TV
VIVID 200 Optical Fibre Broadband
Talk Weekends Phone

Does that mean I am a VIP customer and should I be entitled to a second V6 box for free? If so I'll ring and have a further chat with them!
Alex_gregory_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 23:14   #2395
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

You're not on VIP as you haven't got the movies and the sports in HD
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 23:58   #2396
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

V6 coming tomorow Any tips from people who have had one for a while?

We have a Fire TV box that is very, very fast for iPlayer, Netflix, etc. Is the V6 also fast for Apps or it is best to avoid for streamed content?
Old 15-12-2016, 00:26   #2397
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
V6 coming tomorow Any tips from people who have had one for a while?

We have a Fire TV box that is very, very fast for iPlayer, Netflix, etc. Is the V6 also fast for Apps or it is best to avoid for streamed content?
Here is two videos I have Done re v6

https://youtu.be/5CffW5uuC78

https://youtu.be/VE8lLONxdPM
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 07:31   #2398
Alex_gregory_uk
cf.member

Alex_gregory_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankysmagicpian View Post
You're not on VIP as you haven't got the movies and the sports in HD
Sorry, forgot to mention I get both movies and sports in HD as well.
Alex_gregory_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 10:54   #2399
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Well tried some downloads all restricted and a 390mb download takes 27 mins, I ran a download via BBC iPlayer of 650 MB took 3 mins

https://youtu.be/dDHcPBWVeLs
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 10:56   #2400
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There is a reason for the time differences.

The V6 to TV Anywhere process is transcoding a uncompressed MPEG file into a format suitable for mobile devices.

The BBC iPlayer app is downloading a file that is already suitable for a mobile devices.

Last edited by BenMcr; 15-12-2016 at 11:34.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote