Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 30-11-2016, 11:27   #1516
MisterQ

Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
No idea. But this at least, is a great feature.
In theory maybe but I would guess the downloads will "expire" after say 7 days. For me not as useful as my Humax where I can just plug in an external drive and/or copy over the network and keep for as long as I like and know that I can play it back on any device I like.
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2016, 11:28   #1517
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
It was a let down like a lot virgin media things.

1. The virgin media store great idea to rent and buy

2. The app for kids interesting concept

3. Recording 6 channels at the one time

4. A box built for apps( I thought that was TiVo original plan)

5. The telly box is cool but not if you have iPad Pro

6. What is the selected content, it would be nice to know the channels

7. When we might wonder, well wonder is the word and also the price, what excuse do they have
How incredibly negative of you, Mr Donald. You can get tablets for depression, you know. Or were you misleading us when you said you didn't work for Sky?

Personally, the only things I am disappointed about are the lack of a 2 TB box and no sign yet of Amazon.

At least they have brought us up to date, and the speed problem appears to have been resolved. It looks as though there are more apps on there too.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:30   #1518
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post

5. The telly box is cool but not if you have iPad Pro
It must surely be aimed at people who don't already have a handheld device or multiple TVs. I guess it's a way to combat the satellite SKY Q boxes but making it even more flexible. WIth Sky Q you need to have a telly set up....this thing could go into any room. Ideal for occasional 2nd TV viewing.

But for those with tablets already they may be just as happy to use those. But it does give options to those not wanting to invest in a permanent 2nd TV I guess. But price is very important with this.
mike_gain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:31   #1519
MisterQ

I see several of the newspapers were speculating about the skip adverts feature, although most of us knew that won't come to the UK. I bet they are disappointed and wondering what all the fuss was about, for a find your remote control feature coming soon.

Last edited by MisterQ; 30-11-2016 at 11:42.
Old 30-11-2016, 11:31   #1520
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
How incredibly negative of you, Mr Donald. You can get tablets for depression, you know. Or were you misleading us when you said you didn't work for Sky?

Personally, the only things I am disappointed about are the lack of a 2 TB box and no sign yet of Amazon.

At least they have brought us up to date, and the speed problem appears to have been resolved. It looks as though there are more apps on there too.
Don't worry about him OB as l think the best bet is to ignore his constant unconstructive negativity.
Old 30-11-2016, 11:34   #1521
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (26.8 KB, 183 views)
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:37   #1522
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
My only real question is whether I can use MRS with this box and the current box. That would negate my need for a 2TB box to be honest.
Indeed, I have been able to MRS in both directions between V6 and TiVo. Works well.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:41   #1523
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Well so quicker then l thought.
Old 30-11-2016, 11:46   #1524
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bofrok View Post
This was posted earlier on SpursCommunity:

Unwrapping our Virgin TV V6 box

By David Bouchier

November 30 2016

Today we’re taking the wraps off our new Virgin TV V6 box.

Edit: Person received info in an e-mail.

Our smallest, smartest, fastest box yet is half the size of our previous TiVo box with 10x the power and packed with loads of extra features…

Record six shows

The V6 box allows people to record six programmes while watching a seventh recording or stream from services such as iPlayer or Netflix. This increases to 12 simultaneous recordings with two V6 boxes.

Watching live TV

on demand programmes or recordings doesn’t stop in the living room. The new set top box is completely compatible with our TiVo box meaning that existing Virgin Media customers can keep recordings and transfer settings. It is also designed so that recordings can be accessed and streamed on other TiVo boxes around the home.

Streaming

Recordings, Box Sets, catch up live TV can be watched in one room, paused and continued in another seamlessly through a V6 or TiVo box. Recordings and live TV can also be continued on a mobile device with our TV Anywhere app. This means existing customers can enjoy a multi-room connected TV experience.

Future proof TV: 4K and HDR

All V6 boxes support 4K Ultra-High Definition (UHD) TV with Netflix and YouTube available in 4K from launch and more programming coming soon. The V6 box is also High Dynamic Range (HDR) compatible so that as more HDR content becomes available a patch will be downloaded and Virgin TV customers can enjoy the very best 4K picture quality on compatible HDR TVs.

A smart, quick interface, reassuringly familiar & built for apps

The V6 box is powered by our very latest, intelligent TiVo software and has been built for apps which, in combination with the powerful technology inside the V6 box, mean that its image-based menus are superfast to navigate. It also means apps such as iPlayer, Netflix and Vevo will open with lightning speed. Features include Smart Search and Series Link+, allowing customers to easily access the great range of programmes on Virgin TV wherever they are hiding.

Find my remote

The V6 remote is smaller than the existing remote but will be instantly recognisable to TiVo users so there won’t be any barriers to getting straight to the best TV. A new search button on the remote instantly fires up the TiVo brain meaning there are fewer clicks to the TV users want.

The remote has a lot more oomph - it’ll now work even when the V6 box is tucked away in a cupboard. Plus, if it’s ever lost there’s a button on the V6 box which will make the remote beep so it can be rescued from the depths of the sofa.

Storage The Virgin TV V6 box comes with 1TB of storage allowing 500 hours of SD recordings or 100 hours of HD recordings. Every additional Virgin TV V6 box installed will add another 1TB to the overall storage in the home and the ability to record six more programmes simultaneously.

Pricing

Pricing for the Virgin TV V6 box is simple, transparent and will not incur additional monthly subscription fees.

The new state of the art box will be available to existing customers on a Mix bundle or higher, before the end of the year. Existing customers will not need to change package to benefit.

New customers joining Virgin Media will be able to order the Virgin TV V6 box when choosing their TV bundle from January 2017.

The standard price of the Virgin TV V6 box is a simple £99.95 one-off upfront cost.

New and existing customers with a top-tier Full House or VIP bundle will benefit from a promotional price of £49.95.

A company wide effort

Many people have been involved in working to bring Virgin TV to this stage and in particular the V6 box.We have had over 1000 staff involved in testing and trialling the new box, giving their feedback and working with us to improve the experience.As we moved into technical pilot with customers the teams have been there to help guide them through any questions they have had.
Great post, thanks
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:47   #1525
markliffen@googl
Inactive

markliffen@googl is on a distinguished roadmarkliffen@googl is on a distinguished road

Will we be able to move existing TiVo upstairs and get rid of the v+ box ?
markliffen@googl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:48   #1526
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Indeed, I have been able to MRS in both directions between V6 and TiVo. Works well.
Grand. If I get the V6 I'll just move my current 1TB to our 2nd sitting room and punt the 500GB one. That'll give me 2TB of recording and some redundancy.

Although I say punt, I'm still trying to get rid of my 500GB trial box.
Old 30-11-2016, 11:52   #1527
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Should be no reason why not at all and as long as you hook it up for MRS then you have the benefit of that also.

Personally right now I have a 1 TB TiVo and a V+.
To me with no 4K tv yet I see only speed as being a benefit and I would lose the use of my Slingbox so I will not be an early adopter and just wait for my V+ or TiVo to go bang or if they want to finally get rid of these V+ off their network I will gladly take one off their hands.

The MRS would be great to not lose the recordings I have on my TiVo by moving it upstairs but otherwise I will continue to battle against the 319 errors.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 11:52   #1528
mike_gain
Inactive

Twitter is saying box will incurr a one off cost of £99.95 for customers on Mix or Higher. £49.95 for full house and VIP bundle customers
Old 30-11-2016, 11:55   #1529
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
Twitter is saying box will incurr a one off cost of £99.95 for customers on Mix or Higher. £49.95 for full house and VIP bundle customers
Not bad if you regularly need to know where your remote control is
Old 30-11-2016, 12:05   #1530
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...-p/3269538#M56