Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ch5's Gadget Show to Review the TiVo V6 next week(17th March)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Ch5's Gadget Show to Review the TiVo V6 next week(17th March)

Old 10-03-2017, 22:48   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Ch5's Gadget Show to Review the TiVo V6 next week(17th March)

Next weeks 'Gadget Show' on Channel 5 HD is to review the V6.

This might help those who are thinking of getting one to come to a decision.

It's on at 7pm on 17 March 2017, with repeats the following day on Spike (10:05) and My5 at (12:00).

On Sunday the 19th, the final showing is on Channel 5 HD (12:00).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2017, 22:54   #2
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: V6 independent review to take place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Next weeks 'Gadget Show' on Channel 5 HD is to review the V6.

This might help those who are thinking of getting one to come to a decision.

It's on at 7pm on 17 March 2017, with repeats the following day on Spike (10:05) and My5 at (12:00).

On Sunday the 19th, the final showing is on Channel 5 HD (12:00).
As a long term sky subscriber (17 years) who has recently moved to virgin, I am extremely happy with my V6 boxes with the following minor exceptions:-

1) one of my V6 boxes often has green screen when I switch over to it or switch to on.

2) watching box B recordings on box A simply doesn't work

3) 1Tb boxes are too small for me recording a lot of HD live sport - why no box with a bigger drive?

As I said, apart from these probs I am really impressed.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 00:04   #3
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

1) one of my V6 boxes often has green screen when I switch over to it or switch to on. sounds to me like a faulty box - give VM a ring

2) watching box B recordings on box A simply doesn't work again, if you have a faulty box this won't work. My two V6s talk fine to each other and I frequently watch recordings from the other box with no difficulty

3) 1Tb boxes are too small for me recording a lot of HD live sport - why no box with a bigger drive? Once you have two V6s connected you have 2TB of capacity...and twelve tuners!
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:57   #4
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

The green screen is compatibility problem with some TVs. There's a software update coming in the next few weeks that hopefully will fix it.

Problems with multi-room streaming are usually due to connection problems between one or both of the boxes and the SuperHub. But I'd start by rebooting both boxes. In what way doesn't it work?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:23   #5
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Ch5's Gadget Show to Review the TiVo V6 next week(17th March)

I personally wouldn't trust the Gadget show reviews they are quite biased towards Apple and SKY i feel, however with the new team this might change.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 18:37   #6
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I personally wouldn't trust the Gadget show reviews they are quite biased towards Apple and SKY i feel, however with the new team this might change.
I couldn't stand Jason Bradbury, much prefer Craig Charles.
Old 11-03-2017, 19:16   #7
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Jason Bradbury was a person to point at and laugh for being so 100% apple he became an irrelevance. He even looks like Jonny Ive made him, probably out of Aluminium.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 20:10   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by skie View Post
jason bradbury was a person to point at and laugh for being so 100% apple he became an irrelevance. He even looks like jonny ive made him, probably out of aluminium.
😂😂
Old 11-03-2017, 20:38   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Don't say that, lol. I always get told I look like Jason!

He was the only thing that kept me watching as he was so enthusiatic about tech.

I still wise Suzy Perry would comeback :-)
Old 12-03-2017, 23:10   #10
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
1) one of my V6 boxes often has green screen when I switch over to it or switch to on. sounds to me like a faulty box - give VM a ring

2) watching box B recordings on box A simply doesn't work again, if you have a faulty box this won't work. My two V6s talk fine to each other and I frequently watch recordings from the other box with no difficulty

3) 1Tb boxes are too small for me recording a lot of HD live sport - why no box with a bigger drive? Once you have two V6s connected you have 2TB of capacity...and twelve tuners!
1 and 2) previous replies to this problem suggested it was a hdmi problem??

3) Used to have 2 2Tb skyHD boxes so have only got half the space - surely virgin must be considering a box with at least 2Tb disk in it?

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The green screen is compatibility problem with some TVs. There's a software update coming in the next few weeks that hopefully will fix it.

Problems with multi-room streaming are usually due to connection problems between one or both of the boxes and the SuperHub. But I'd start by rebooting both boxes. In what way doesn't it work?

Your green screen suggestion is a possible (connected to a Sony HD tv) - had green screens on and off since day1

As for connection problem - re-booted both a number of times, did actually get this working once but never since.

I had an engineer out after a couple of days (also had no phone line) - despite having reported the to problems he said he was only there to do the phone, had no knowledge of my to problems, wasn't even prepared to look at them - said he had already exceeded the 20 mins allowed to resolve my problem(s).
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 01:05   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
As a long term sky subscriber (17 years) who has recently moved to virgin, I am extremely happy with my V6 boxes with the following minor exceptions:-

1) one of my V6 boxes often has green screen when I switch over to it or switch to on.

2) watching box B recordings on box A simply doesn't work

3) 1Tb boxes are too small for me recording a lot of HD live sport - why no box with a bigger drive?

There was talk of a 2 The box before launch, I guess they must have scrapped this idea.

Economies of scale will make it cheaper to have only one box and VM will make more money by getting two upfront charges and double ongoing monthly fees.
Old 13-03-2017, 08:58   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
1 and 2) previous replies to this problem suggested it was a hdmi problem??

3) Used to have 2 2Tb skyHD boxes so have only got half the space - surely virgin must be considering a box with at least 2Tb disk in it?

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Your green screen suggestion is a possible (connected to a Sony HD tv) - had green screens on and off since day1

As for connection problem - re-booted both a number of times, did actually get this working once but never since.

I had an engineer out after a couple of days (also had no phone line) - despite having reported the to problems he said he was only there to do the phone, had no knowledge of my to problems, wasn't even prepared to look at them - said he had already exceeded the 20 mins allowed to resolve my problem(s).
I do wonder if VM have decided that a 1TB box is sufficient now that you can stream the programmes you want to see later from on demand services. They may also be contemplating access to the cloud to retrieve material later and this might well be the method they want us to use for UHD recordings when they are available on schedule based channels.

I have a Sony 4K TV but have not seen any green screen issues, but maybe the later Sonys don't have this problem. It seems to me that technology is moving ahead so fast that when you change once piece of equipment, sometimes this causes a compatibility problem for your older equipment.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 09:59   #13
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I forgot to mention that you may be able to make the problem go away by disabling some resolutions in the Video Output Formats settings screen.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 18:40   #14
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:

When MPEG4 is brought in, that's the ultimate answer....
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 04:33   #15
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
IMO, Jon Bentley always seems like a Virgin "fan boy" so I don't see how you get that impression.

They still haven't reviewed Sky Q on the Gadget Show yet but now about a year later they're reviewing the V6...hmm.

Just really hating the new "old Top Gear style" of the show.
It ruined car reviews and it's now ruining gadget reviews with this "old-hat style" of reviews.

Last edited by bubblegun; 14-03-2017 at 04:45.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote