Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Does 8 Channels actually mean anything?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

A few questions!

Old 09-05-2012, 21:18   #1
onlyhuman
Inactive

onlyhuman is an unknown quantity at this point
A few questions!

Hi all, i upgraded from 10mb to 30mb last year and it was very unstable speed was up and down and at times as low as 1mb so i went back on to 10mb and its been fine again since. However i would like a bit more speed for streaming video.

So to help me decide what to do for the best i have a few questions!

Is the legacy network the same as Docsis 1 and are all the people on 20mb or less on this network or are some of them on Docsis 3?

Is there a Docsis 2?

Ive seen it said that there are a lot less subscribers on Doscis 1, so does this make it more reliable?
Ifso is it right to say that Docsis 1 is basically an empty motorway that you can travel along at 10mb with no hold ups and 30mb+ is a congested motorway with hold ups stopping you from maintaining your max speed?

Is it down to over subscription or is it the superhub thats to blame?

Do you those of you that upgraded regret it?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
onlyhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2012, 21:36   #2
TbGbe
Inactive

Services: Phone M, 10Mb, TV XL (V+)
TbGbe is on a distinguished roadTbGbe is on a distinguished road
Re: A few questions!

If you're on 10Mb you are about be doubled to 20Mb - would that be enough for your streaming needs?

10Mb/20Mb are on DOCSIS 1 ; 30Mb and higher are on DOCSIS 3. Virgin insist on SuperHub for all "new or upgraded to" DOCSIS 3 connections.
I don't believe you can choose, it's "fixed" by Virgin.

As the majority of BB users will be on 10Mb/20Mb at the moment, DOCSIS 1 should be the "most congested", if that analogy can be used.
TbGbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 22:01   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

A lot of 10/20mb users are on the DOCSIS 3 network, just running in DOCSIS 2 mode.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 23:00   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

unless you are in a massively over subscribed area you shouldnt have any problems getting 30mmbit because there are going to be plenty of people on 100mbit using exactly the same pipes as you.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 23:21   #5
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
..there are going to be plenty of people on 100mbit using exactly the same pipes as you.
.. and as can be seen here and over on the VM community board all 100Mbps customers are over the moon with their connections and never have any problems. Yeah right.

IMO VM have driven a lot of their local networks into meltdown by selling what they can't deliver. The peering has attracted a lot of criticism too.

That said you've more chance of hitting 30Mbps reliably on DOCSIS3 than 100Mbps. I more or less always get my 10Mbps on it but the jitter is abysmal so I'm glad I'm not into gaming.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I tend to agree. I've seen more horrible TBB graphs show up on VM lately than I ever have, I'd say not only are the worst ones twice as bad as the worst I saw last year, but they're also appearing twice as often.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 00:42   #7
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyhuman View Post
Hi all, i upgraded from 10mb to 30mb last year and it was very unstable speed was up and down and at times as low as 1mb so i went back on to 10mb and its been fine again since. However i would like a bit more speed for streaming video.

So to help me decide what to do for the best i have a few questions!

Is the legacy network the same as Docsis 1 and are all the people on 20mb or less on this network or are some of them on Docsis 3?
[SEPH]: Yes that's true. But the overlay and overbuild networks on which DOCSIS 3 sits can carry DOCSIS 1 as well.

Is there a Docsis 2?
[SEPH]: Yes. It's used for the upstream. But those going to bonded upstream channels use DOCSIS 3.

Ive seen it said that there are a lot less subscribers on Doscis 1, so does this make it more reliable?
[SEPH]: Only to the extent that there is less cintention. VM are unlikely to keep internet users on the legacy network.

Ifso is it right to say that Docsis 1 is basically an empty motorway that you can travel along at 10mb with no hold ups and 30mb+ is a congested motorway with hold ups stopping you from maintaining your max speed?
[SEPH]: Historically, the legacy network was congested in some places. Likewise now the DOCSIS 3 network. It's all to do with contentions as I'm sure you've grasped. Some DOCSIS 3 areas are not congested, so the generalisation can't be made.

Is it down to over subscription or is it the superhub thats to blame?
[SEPH]: It's down to contention not the SH although there is now a theory going round that a phenomenon known as "bufferbloat" (you can Google that) is screwing the DOCSIS 3 network. Some people think it's the SH buffers, but there are buffers everywhere in the chain and one big fat f-off buffer in the Allot traffic management system.

[SEPH]: I don't. I moved from legacy 20 meg to DOCSIS 3 50 meg with few problems.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:31   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyhuman View Post
na, I have been on docsis 3 for the last couple of years now from when 50mbit first came out to 100mbit now and despite the fact that like to moan (when they deserve it) I am also happy to give praise where it is due and my connection is 100% 99% of the time. But I am lucky that I am in one of the areas that doesnt appear to have a problem with congestion.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote