Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Skoda Fabia Windscreen Wiper Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Cars: Finance Lease vs Purchase via loan

Old 19-08-2011, 22:27   #1
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Cars: Finance Lease vs Purchase via loan

Hello!

So every so often I research purchasing a newer car. I often decide it's not worth it but never hurts to learn more.

I was looking at the Peugeot 'Just add Fuel' deal. It's a Personal Finance Lease, I pay a certain amount each month for the car and it includes the 'lease' of the car, Insurance, Servicing, road tax and roadside assistance. Downside is at the end of the term I don't own a car. However this seems like it's not too bad a deal considering what gets chucked in.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of such a plan other than those which I have listed? Does anyone here do it? I want to make sure I don't miss something massive...
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2011, 22:40   #2
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: Cars: Finance Lease vs Purchase via loan

The terms are crap. if you were to spread out your own insurance and recovery over the year it'll be about £50 per month? I'd personally if you can afford it just pay cash for a car.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 22:57   #3
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

I think it depends on what "amount we anticipate" is at end of contract

taken from their faq

What happens at the end of a Just Add Fuel contract?

With the Just Add Fuel Passport plan you can:
  • Pay the amount we anticipate your car will be worth (the anticipated future value) and own your car outright
  • Hand your car back with nothing further to pay (subject to mileage and condition)
  • Part exchange your car for a brand new one
leasing can work out quite a good option especially if you can set some of it against tax if you require the vehicle for business use

other wise you need to just see what the totals are from either method of buying as these can vary depending on interest levels and how they value the car at the end of the term
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 23:08   #4
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I've heard these plans have penalties if you go over the agreed mileage
Old 19-08-2011, 23:10   #5
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

Depends alot on your mileage as I looked at the "Just Add Fuel" lease from Peugeot and it seemed really good, until I found out that the annual mileage was just 8000... 12000 is the UK average, and I personally do closer to 15000 and the charges went up a fair bit (even on a 206) for more miles.

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I've heard these plans have penalties if you go over the agreed mileage
usually about 10-20p per mile excess charge
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote