Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media in Plymouth

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media in Plymouth

Old 17-09-2008, 12:29   #1
MojoUK
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media: XL TV, 500GB TiVo, Up to 152mb Broadband, XXL phone
MojoUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Virgin Media in Plymouth

Hiya all. Was just curious, seems as I'm just up the road from them. What is the purpose of the VM complex in Alexandra Road, Plymouth? Does it act as a substation (or whatever you want to call it) for signals coming into Plymouth?
MojoUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2008, 01:16   #2
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin Media in Plymouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacehunterUK View Post
Hiya all. Was just curious, seems as I'm just up the road from them. What is the purpose of the VM complex in Alexandra Road, Plymouth? Does it act as a substation (or whatever you want to call it) for signals coming into Plymouth?
Telewest used to have a contact centre in Plymouth...maybe it's that building? They stopped handling customer care calls there around 2005 from what I remember...

If it's not that it may be the regional headend for Plymouth?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2008, 18:49   #3
sammyjayuk
Inactive

Services: M TV (SA V+), XXL BB, M phone, Pace Sky+HD (HD, Variety, Movies) & O2 iPhone 3G 35
sammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nice

I used to live in Alexandra Works (the big UNITE student building right next to the Telewest building) from Sep 06 to May-ish 07, and always wondered exactly what it was.

It was, as far as I can remember, still in use but *did* have a big board up advertising the space (although how much I can't remember). It certainly wasn't being used as a call centre though, there simply wasn't the traffic, just a few TW vans from what I can remember.

It could be the headend, but that's just a guess. I have no idea how big a building would be required, or where they're usually situated. For what it's worth, the site *is* fairly close to the centre of Plymouth (although definitely not a 10-15 minute walk, as UNITE would have you believe!).

Sam
sammyjayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 22:16   #4
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

Its NOT the headend. The building is empty. Apart from sales staff and Install Techs and Service Techs. The Headend is in Newton abbot.

The call centre is just bare, nothing in there. It has a coffee machine and a chocolate machine though and the sales guys/gals.

Tbh its nothing exciting.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 22:41   #5
sammyjayuk
Inactive

Services: M TV (SA V+), XXL BB, M phone, Pace Sky+HD (HD, Variety, Movies) & O2 iPhone 3G 35
sammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nicesammyjayuk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Its NOT the headend. The building is empty. Apart from sales staff and Install Techs and Service Techs. The Headend is in Newton abbot.
Hmm. I asked the field sales rep, and he said that it (Endeavour House) *was* the headend, which is why they haven't vacated the building. All the technical stuff is apparently underground.

Although this is the same guy that told me Plymouth wasn't yet 10 meg, and unless that changed in the week or so between me asking him and me getting installed, he was wrong about that - the modem is definitely synced at 10 meg and I'm usually getting well over 4 meg.

It's a mystery!

Sam
Old 25-10-2008, 22:53   #6
JayJay
Inactive

JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

Please forgive me, after posting that after a long day I got my wires crossed.

The Plymouth area headend is underground at Endeavour House, I havent personally been down there but no doubt will in time.

Plymouth DOES have 20 meg! I should know im hitting 19mb on various speedtests
Old 25-10-2008, 23:45   #7
sammyjayuk
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Please forgive me, after posting that after a long day I got my wires crossed.
Ha! As it happens, that's not the first time someone at VM Plymouth has crossed wires - I've ended up with someone else's landline! They're aware of it and it should be sorted soon...

Oh, and doesn't everywhere have 20 meg?

Sam
Old 26-10-2008, 11:19   #8
JayJay
Inactive

I knew someone would pick that up... LOL. After spending most of yesterday actually fixing telephone faults, i must laugh!

Sounds like youve been kroned into the wrong E side.

As far as im aware the whole of Devon is 20 meg enabled.
Old 26-10-2008, 11:25   #9
JethroUK

Services: Philips 42" +XLTV +10 meg B.B. +Lrg Phone + caller ID +Tivo £52 +Xbox 360 60 gig +200w Sub

Just wanted to say i had best aug bank holiday ever in Plymouth (about 10 years ago mind)
Old 26-10-2008, 18:09   #10
janipewter
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Multiroom, VM XL Phone, VM XXL BB
janipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nicejanipewter is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to janipewter

I've always wondered what that Telewest building there is too.
janipewter is offline   Reply With Quote