Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New update causing games to crash?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

PS3 Slim officially announced and pricing

Old 19-08-2009, 12:59   #1
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
PS3 Slim officially announced and pricing

Sony have officially announced the new smaller PS3 console. It will retail in 1st September.

The console comes equipped with a 120GB removable hard disk, Wifi and 2 USB ports, however there won't be any IR or backwards compatibility for PS2 games. In USA it will retail at $299 which is $100 cheaper than the current console.

Source and more photos:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10312144-1.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-10109_7...tag=mncol;thum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps3slim2_540x570.jpg (75.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 19-08-2009, 13:00   #2
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Re: PS3 Slim officially announced and pricing

Will be between £245 and £249 over here in the UK.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 13:01   #3
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Sony have officially announced the new smaller PS3 console. It will retail in late September.

The console comes equipped with a 120GB removable hard disk, Wifi and 2 USB ports, however there won't be any IR or backwards compatibility for PS2 games. In USA it will retail at $299 which is $100 cheaper than the current console.

Source and more photos:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10312144-1.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-10109_7...tag=mncol;thum
I like it but...

Just doesn't look as shexay as the current
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 13:02   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I think it looks nice, i have no plans to buy it as i have a Xbox 360, but i wish the xbox looked like that! Small and tidy and solid looking.
Old 19-08-2009, 13:15   #5
icestar2
Inactive

icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by webcrawler2050 View Post
I like it but...

Just doesn't look as shexay as the current
Hmmmm I didnt like it at all when I first seen it but its growing on me I have to admitt. I still pre-fair its older Phat model lol
Old 19-08-2009, 13:16   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post
Will be between £245 and £249 over here in the UK.
Correct, you can pre-order from game.co.uk for £249.99 and it's showing a release date of 1st September.
Old 19-08-2009, 13:21   #7
webcrawler2050
Inactive

webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age

No backwards compatability!!!! What on earth is going on with Sony as of late, they seem to have really lost their touch with the Playstation at the moment.
Old 19-08-2009, 13:24   #8
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
No backwards compatability!!!! What on earth is going on with Sony as of late, they seem to have really lost their touch with the Playstation at the moment.
The PS2 is still doing very well and bringing them alot of revenue. I believe that BC will be comming in a firmware update eventually but not for a while yet.
Old 19-08-2009, 13:29   #9
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
The PS2 is still doing very well and bringing them alot of revenue. I believe that BC will be comming in a firmware update eventually but not for a while yet.
I wish the PS3 would get it's act together - i really want one, but it seems the 360 has the bigger library..
Old 19-08-2009, 13:35   #10
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
I wish the PS3 would get it's act together - i really want one, but it seems the 360 has the bigger library..
To be fair Sony has come a long, long way with the PS3 since its launch and you've got to give credit for that. Yes the 360 has the bigger libary atm but with the recent Exclusives to Sony things are looking to be much brighter and the gap is closing imo. Both consoles are excellent imho and have very good points to them.

Both consoles can always do more if they wanted to but I think were starting to push it now. I remember when a gaming console was just that a gaming console. Now we can play videos, look at our pictures, play music, dvd's, Blu-rays, HD dvd's, browse the web, play online and loads load more yet people are still not happy (Not aimed at you in any way webcrawler).

I think at some point companys have to say "ok we aren't going to please everyone, what can we do to please most" and I think they've ben doing that very well upto now. Just my opinion of course which no-one might agree with lol.
Old 19-08-2009, 13:36   #11
zing_deleted

Query how do they expect to keep it all cool enough to keep running? there is quite a bit of tech in the PS3 a lot of which generates heat. Small and slim is not always the way to go imo
Old 19-08-2009, 13:40   #12
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Query how do they expect to keep it all cool enough to keep running? there is quite a bit of tech in the PS3 a lot of which generates heat. Small and slim is not always the way to go imo
Good question but they seemed to do it fairly well with the PS2. Yes I know there was alot less going on inside that box but maybe with the slim using 30+% less power it will generate less heat to. I'm sure its been put through its paces. Sony are usually pretty good about things like that but I guess we'll fnd out soon enough.
Old 19-08-2009, 13:51   #13
chrispuk2004
Inactive

Services: 120Mbps Cable TiVO L Phone line M
chrispuk2004 is just really nicechrispuk2004 is just really nicechrispuk2004 is just really nicechrispuk2004 is just really nicechrispuk2004 is just really nicechrispuk2004 is just really nice

I was going to sell my PS3 for the slim. But i prefer the look of the current one. If it looked the same but smaller, it would have been a winner imo
chrispuk2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 14:15   #14
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I believe that BC will be comming in a firmware update eventually but not for a while yet.
I can't see how - there is no hardware left in the PS3 to run PS2 games

They moved from full hardware support in the first PS3s in the US to part hardware/part software support for the first PS3s in the UK (2nd Gen) and then completely removed it

See the table here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Models

I've got the 40Gb 3rd Generation one and it definately doesn't do PS2 games
Old 19-08-2009, 16:14   #15
icestar2
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I can't see how - there is no hardware left in the PS3 to run PS2 games

They moved from full hardware support in the first PS3s in the US to part hardware/part software support for the first PS3s in the UK (2nd Gen) and then completely removed it

See the table here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Models

I've got the 40Gb 3rd Generation one and it definately doesn't do PS2 games
Some PS2 games could be simulated on the PC via software so it shouldn't be to hard to do for Sony. If I remember rightly they filed a Patent not to long ago that was linked to the possibility but not sure how true that is. Tbh I dont see it making that much of a diffrence even if they do include it. I dont think it will drive sales like people are claiming.

Plus they were meant to be launching PS2 classic's on the PSN store eventually right ? Am sure they said something about this a good while back or did they abandon this ?. Would be a bit usless if most of the install base could not play them.