Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media for Pubs?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media for Pubs?

Old 13-05-2008, 16:12   #16
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society
Re: Virgin Media for Pubs?

there was a court case going through te high courts from a pub using european satalites they had already lost one case so there must be a law rather than a FA restriction.

Plus alot of the European stations don't have the rights to broadcast in the UK, although as we know technically you can pick up the signal and watch it
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2008, 16:14   #17
Losttheplot

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
what about a business account from VM
I'd imagine thats just for broadband and telephony.
Old 13-05-2008, 16:18   #18
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

As far as l am aware, if VM went into pubs, there would be an all mighty row, Sky make an absolute fortune out of pubs, l used to work in my local pub, deep cleaning the kitchen, and they got rid of Sky, as the cost of it per month, say for a example a room say of 15 x 12, Sky charge her £1.200 PER MONTH, as Sky go by the size of the pub, l think if VM went there i think there would be major problems.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 17:05   #19
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbi View Post
I tried to find a part for this on the site, and Google, but found nothing.

Is there a pricing structure for this? Its something we are looking into in the future, but when we manage to get into a Public House, we want to pay the least to show Football in the Pub, and I have heard Sky is a lot of money.

Cheers!
For businesses such as pubs and internet cafes,its a bit more hands on as they need to look at usage needs ect.....

Try calling NTL Telewest Business on 0800-052-0800 or www.ntltelewestbusiness.co.uk

Also if you have a BT line in the premises, you can choose which calls you would like to route through NTLTelewest or have one of there lines.

I am sure they provide services in pubs because the one up from my house has Virgin TV installed.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 17:09   #20
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbi View Post
Unfortunately, particularly in this town of Blackburn, there is a massive clampdown on European Digital Broadcasting equipment, with much of it being seized by Police and officials.

According to the following link, though, there is actually no law being broken by having these and showing 3pm Games.

But, you can understand why Football Clubs and Leagues dont want them to show 3pm games, because then people would just go to the pub instead of buying a ticket, thus killing the game itself.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellit...uipment-3.html
still as you dont live in their country theres nowt that they can do about it. when i went to both Spain & Greece a few years ago almost every bar had Sky.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
there was a court case going through te high courts from a pub using european satalites they had already lost one case so there must be a law rather than a FA restriction.

Plus alot of the European stations don't have the rights to broadcast in the UK, although as we know technically you can pick up the signal and watch it
there is no law against it as there is no law against hacking satellite tv services from countries that you dont live in cuz you cant (officially) subscribe to them anyway.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
As far as l am aware, if VM went into pubs, there would be an all mighty row, Sky make an absolute fortune out of pubs, l used to work in my local pub, deep cleaning the kitchen, and they got rid of Sky, as the cost of it per month, say for a example a room say of 15 x 12, Sky charge her £1.200 PER MONTH, as Sky go by the size of the pub, l think if VM went there i think there would be major problems.
as i said a few posts back i used to live new door to a pub & they had NTL.
the-cable-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 17:09   #21
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Also Virgin Media could go take the short cut and broadcast programmes from European stations over existing channels such as Virgin 1. Just like they broadcast Jerry springer on Living for example.
Old 13-05-2008, 17:13   #22
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky+ HD All Entertainment Packs, VM M TV, BT Unlimited Anytime, VM Talk Weekend Phone, VM XXL BB
the-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the roughthe-cable-guy is a jewel in the rough

btw as i listed a few posts back there are a number of FTA sports channels, so if your that worried only watch them as anyone with the correct equipment can hence them being FTA

---------- Post added at 17:13 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Also Virgin Media could go take the short cut and broadcast programmes from European stations over existing channels such as Virgin 1. Just like they broadcast Jerry springer on Living for example.
they buy the rights to Jerry Springer. however CNBC with NBC Nightly News & ITV2 (used to) with The David Letterman Show for example rebroadcast feeds. however they still have to pay rights in order to do so. one of the only networks in the world that lets them do it for free is VOA TV & WorldNet (which is now owned by VOA TV).
Old 13-05-2008, 17:27   #23
m419
Inactive

CNBC have a news channel on Virgin too I think, what ever happened to ABC1?
Old 13-05-2008, 17:37   #24
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

CNBC Europe & NBC aint the same channel, NBC is an American network like FOX or CBS. although NBC Nightly News is filmed at NBC's (US) studios CNBC still have to pay rights in order to air it. info on ABC1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC1_(United_Kingdom)
Old 13-05-2008, 17:54   #25
m419
Inactive

Thats not the Abc1 that was on Virgin Media channel 161, it was american and it suddenly disappeared.
Old 13-05-2008, 17:56   #26
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

sorry i gave the wrong link heres the correct one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC1_(United_Kingdom) however there is no American ABC1.
Old 14-05-2008, 12:02   #27
browneggsandham
I try to help.

Services: Virgin Media VIP - 2 x V6, M350 & phone
browneggsandham is on a distinguished roadbrowneggsandham is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losttheplot View Post
No idea if commercial premises pay more for Setantas channels though.
They do indeed - I believe at the place I work, we pay around £1000 extra a year on top of the basis Sky Sports sub to get Setanta. It all depends whether I will pull the extra trade in to make it worthwhile or not.

This is through Sky of course, not VM, just to avoid any confusion.
browneggsandham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 12:07   #28
the-cable-guy
Permanently Banned

yes they charge extra for the Setanta Sports channels in commercial premisses.
Old 14-05-2008, 13:05   #29
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

the blackout ruling comes down from UEFA

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/news/kind=8...sid=19817.html

Not sure if I would want to challenge them to see if this help up under UK law
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 16:07   #30
redbluetwo
Inactive

redbluetwo is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a note on the financials someone worked out - most of the best football is on weekdays not just weekends - champions league etc. plus there are other sports pubs can draw punters in on.
redbluetwo is offline   Reply With Quote