Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Lime coloured urine??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Photo on Canvas

Old 25-02-2006, 10:28   #1
Mike
cf.mega poster

Mike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful oneMike is the helpful one
Photo on Canvas

Hi all

Has anyone tried this and if so what were the results like ?

Things of doing a couple of photo and wonder who is best !

Thanks

Mike
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-02-2006, 10:43   #2
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
Re: Photo on Canvas

There are hundreds of places that will do canvas prints these days and they do vary in prince and/or quality.

You do need a good quality image to start with, so be sure to take your photo at the higest resolution, largest file size and fine quality setting.

Don't mess about too much with the photo on your computer, adjust levels and colour, but that's it. The reason for this is that to get the tiny photo from your camera up to a size of a canvas takes some very powerful processes, and any small changes you make on the computer will be 'blown-up' as the size increases.

Photobox are a good company to deal with, I've not got any personal experience of dealin with them on canvas, but they're a good place to start.
andygrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 12:12   #3
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

i've bought one A3 canvas print from makemymegastore, not particularly cheap but the quality was very good.
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2006, 12:14   #4
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Hi all

Has anyone tried this and if so what were the results like ?

Things of doing a couple of photo and wonder who is best !

Thanks

Mike
Klick Photoshop did one for me at Christmas, they do a cracking job, I think it cost £15 for a large picture.
Old 25-02-2006, 21:42   #5
andygrif
Inactive

andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array
andygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze arrayandygrif has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbandit
i've bought one A3 canvas print from makemymegastore, not particularly cheap but the quality was very good.
45 quid for an A3 canvas is extremely cheap. So cheap as to make me cautious about it....what are you comparing it to when you say that the quality is very good. Is the print almost as sharp as the orginal photo that you took? Are the colours almost the same? Is the canvas a good print or sllightly hazy? Did they use inks that are resistant to UV? (If not, you'll find this out a a couple of years from now if it's hung on the wall) These and many other questions spring to mind.

You may well have yourself the bargain of the year, but I would be very nervous about handing over such a small amount for something special enough to be made into an A3 print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge
Klick Photoshop did one for me at Christmas, they do a cracking job, I think it cost £15 for a large picture.
15 quid for an A3 canvas? I couldn't get a professional inkjet print for 15 quid at that size. Are you sure we're talking about the same thing?
Old 26-02-2006, 06:45   #6
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
45 quid for an A3 canvas is extremely cheap. So cheap as to make me cautious about it....what are you comparing it to when you say that the quality is very good. Is the print almost as sharp as the orginal photo that you took? Are the colours almost the same? Is the canvas a good print or sllightly hazy? Did they use inks that are resistant to UV? (If not, you'll find this out a a couple of years from now if it's hung on the wall) These and many other questions spring to mind.

You may well have yourself the bargain of the year, but I would be very nervous about handing over such a small amount for something special enough to be made into an A3 print.

15 quid for an A3 canvas? I couldn't get a professional inkjet print for 15 quid at that size. Are you sure we're talking about the same thing?
The missus got one for my mum at Christmas I'm sure it was £15 for the large one, I'll ask her how much it was.
Old 26-02-2006, 10:40   #7
bmxbandit
Inactive

bmxbandit has reached the bronze age
bmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze agebmxbandit has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif
its £20 for the canvas, £45 to have it framed as well. mine wasnt a photo but a sketch, so i can't vouch for the colours, but the print was clear and sharp.

probably best get in contact with a few of the companies, ask them the questions above

i have this picture
bmxbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2006, 23:09   #8
andygrif
Inactive

Fair play to both of you if you can get a good canvas for those prices...good on you!

As it happens, I was at Focus on Imaging trade show for all tings photographic today and a went around a few stands offering canvases. They do seem to vary incredibly, some don't seem to know what interpolation is (the act of making a pix much much bigger without it looking poor) and some seem to think it only takes 3 years for their inks to start fading. Scary stuff, especully as the one who thinks 3 years is acceptable for something that has a trade price of over 140 quid! (Meaning I would be selling on to you for something like £250+, £800+ if you went to Venture!)

Once I've gone through all the crap that you always end up with at the end of a trade show, I'll try and remember to post the links to the places I saw today, as I picked up a leaflet at each one.