Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 03-05-2012, 12:31   #61
mark1234
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all
re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

You need to direct your venom towards the content cartels, not VM. I don't like internet censorship either, but VM are obeying a court order here.
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2012, 12:43   #62
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute
re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

The problem is, since the EU courts have already ruled that such blocks are illegal.

I refer of course to the Scarlet Extended SA vs SABAM case in the European Court of Justice, which was ruled on in 2011.

Quote:
The judges ruled that a national court cannot impose an injunction ordering an Internet provider to install a filtering system for all electronic communications, saying it is too expensive for the company and could infringe on people's fundamental rights.
Therefore the UK court is in breach of a ruling made by a higher court, and therefore, the ruling issued by the UK court is actually invalid. Therefore there is no "valid court order".

I am not a pirate, all my movies, music and software is legitimately owned or FOSS. However I will defend my right to visit any website I choose.
Virgin Media need to take this case to the ECJ and point out the already established precedent.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:54   #63
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Yep - I'm not a pirate either - I couldn't work all those sails and I hate parrots. All my stuff is shareware. I'm not 100% sure who the folks were that shared it with me but I'm grateful to them....
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 14:03   #64
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
The problem is, since the EU courts have already ruled that such blocks are illegal.
Wrong.

The court said that while content providers can ask ISPs to block specific sites, wider filtering was in breach of the E-Commerce Directive

Source
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 14:51   #65
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanny View Post

I'll shut up now before im banned but i am disappointed that the mods have chosen to keep the bpi happy.
This has nothing to do with the BPI or any other organisation involved in piracy combat, by keeping them happy as you put it. This is about standards, as already mentioned, we do not permit any discussion on illegal hacking of CM's or STB's, so we will not allow any links to third party torrent sites, that contain or provide access to, illegally downloadable content.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 14:55   #66
rmwebs
Inactive

Services: TV XL w/ All Sky HD Collections. 2xTivo, 1x VHD Phone XL Broadband XXL
rmwebs is on a distinguished roadrmwebs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
We do not allow any discussion of any kind which borders on illegal activity, this is a standard we have always met since day one and I am not allowing such standards to slip, we do not allow any kind of discussion on hacking a cable modem/TV Set top box for instance, so we cannot allow direct links to illegal torrent content however much you disagree with such political rulings and or court orders.

Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.

Not to split hairs here but no torrent site contains illegal content. All torrent sites are actually legal. What is illegal is downloading copyright materials without permission. Since the torrent site doesnt host the content, they are not breaking the law.

Many people, myself included use torrents to share large linux distros and such, places like The Pirate Bay are the best place for these kinds of things.

Anyway, I dont want to start an argument, just wanted to point out the above point. For anyone wanting to still get on TPB there are obvious ways around it, such as googling for mirrors or just using another site.
rmwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 14:58   #67
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

This brings us back to TPB and various other torrent sites' defence of they function as a search engine and do not "contain" illegally downloadable content, and that Google presumably indexes just as much if not more illegal content as they do.

[Edit]
Yeah, what he said.

FYI, most linux distros that are distributed via torrents have their own trackers, e.g. Ubuntu torrents are hosted by an Ubuntu run tracker, not TPB. IIRC TPB don't even run a tracker anymore.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 15:10   #68
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
Not to split hairs here but no torrent site contains illegal content. All torrent sites are actually legal. What is illegal is downloading copyright materials without permission. Since the torrent site doesnt host the content, they are not breaking the law.

Many people, myself included use torrents to share large linux distros and such, places like The Pirate Bay are the best place for these kinds of things.

Anyway, I dont want to start an argument, just wanted to point out the above point. For anyone wanting to still get on TPB there are obvious ways around it, such as googling for mirrors or just using another site.
Could split hairs as much as we want to, any torrent site, may not host the content, but it provides a platform in which said content is made available or can be accessed.

However much we disagree with said Court Order, it cannot be ignored because we feel it is some how invalid, it may be the case that it is but that it is not up to us to decide. A Court ruling has deemed The Pirate Bay, a site which 'provides access' to "unlawful" downloadable content.

Virgin Media is a multi-million pound company, I am pretty sure it's own legal teams have probably tried to argue the same principles, it doesn't matter, a Court order has been issued and cannot be ignored, however much it is disagreed with or however much people feel aggrieved by it.
Old 03-05-2012, 15:16   #69
rmwebs
Inactive

Services: TV XL w/ All Sky HD Collections. 2xTivo, 1x VHD Phone XL Broadband XXL
rmwebs is on a distinguished roadrmwebs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Could split hairs as much as we want to, any torrent site, may not host the content, but it provides a platform in which said content is made available or can be accessed.
So does Google. Does that mean they should be blocked too?
rmwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 15:23   #70
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
So does Google. Does that mean they should be blocked too?
As far as I know, no court order has been issued to block google, so no it should not be blocked. Winky, right back at you.
Old 03-05-2012, 15:37   #71
one2escape
Inactive

one2escape is an unknown quantity at this point

Its all a bit of a nonsense. The new pirate bay website is up and running now and it isnt blocked. Some of my facebook friends pointed it out yesterday.
one2escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 15:56   #72
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Ah, but can you Google it? haha
Old 03-05-2012, 16:01   #73
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I hope VM rot in hell for blocking this.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 16:05   #74
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I hope VM rot in hell for blocking this.
They had no choice. If they ignore the court order they would be breaking the law.
Old 03-05-2012, 16:15   #75
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
They had no choice. If they ignore the court order they would be breaking the law.
Unless this post is untrue, they are breaking a ruling by following the order

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35422696-post62.html

Im quite sure VM could easily have stalled this if they choose to.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote