Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

Old 13-03-2012, 22:48   #136
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

5GHz rocks
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2012, 22:57   #137
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
They offered to send a tech..... Doh, anyway I swapped the hub 3 times and gave up, it seems it's wifi related. On 5ghz mode it's been stable,2.4 it reboots. I'm at a stage I can now run 5ghz but I find the range of 5ghz not as good as the 2.4
This is what I can't understand, because my wifi works absolutely fine.

Do you live in a very big house?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 23:05   #138
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

he lives next to qas
Old 13-03-2012, 23:18   #139
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
This is what I can't understand, because my wifi works absolutely fine.

Do you live in a very big house?
nah, it must just be certain things that cause the hub to reboot, other routers, baby monitors. that would explain the shock of reliability so far tonight.

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
he lives next to qas
lol, his modified Dlink is giving folk on aeroplanes wifi
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 23:56   #140
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
he lives next to qas
I should think anyone living next to qas would have problems with signals, due to interference coming from qas's house. I bet you can spot his house a mile off due to the glow, and then you will hear a hum as you get closer.

Actually it reminds me of the Only Fools and Horses that was on last night, where they had a satelite dish nicked from Gatwick.
Old 14-03-2012, 00:38   #141
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
nah, it must just be certain things that cause the hub to reboot, other routers, baby monitors. that would explain the shock of reliability so far tonight.

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:16 ----------

lol, his modified Dlink is giving folk on aeroplanes wifi
If it is of any interest I noticed that during the height of the holiday season (last 2 in July, First 2 in August) my superhub, running then in the 2.4ghz band at 145mbps, was relatively stable. I think it was during this period when I achieved 13 days up with it, my personal record. Lots of the usual routers that a scan picks up were missing during that period so I definately think the rebooting is an interference issue. Later when the holiday period was over the superhub was back to it's usual spontaneous randomly rebooting behaviour.

In 5ghz at 300mbps, in spite of being the only one using it locally, the superhub was still rebooting. Less frequently though, maybe 2 to 5 times a day.

I'm now running in modem mode with an asus rt-n16 router and the set up is rock solid.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 01:19   #142
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
I should think anyone living next to qas would have problems with signals, due to interference coming from qas's house. I bet you can spot his house a mile off due to the glow, and then you will hear a hum as you get closer.

Actually it reminds me of the Only Fools and Horses that was on last night, where they had a satelite dish nicked from Gatwick.
My wireless networks see very little use so apart from beacons will be causing virtually no interference. >99.99% of my network traffic is wired.

As for the glow, that's because I have one of these attached to my window to make it easier to spot where to aim my antenna when doing long-distance tests at night. It's literally visible miles away, but then that's the point.

Anyway. This thread has served its purpose, or not. To avoid "boring" this forum with any more information you may or may not be interested in, I'm moving the rest here:

http://battleofthehubs.blogspot.com/...s-prequel.html
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 01:22   #143
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
My wireless networks see very little use so apart from beacons will be causing virtually no interference. >99.99% of my network traffic is wired.

As for the glow, that's because I have one of these attached to my window to make it easier to spot where to aim my antenna when doing long-distance tests at night. It's literally visible miles away, but then that's the point.
Hey qasi, I wasn't being serious. I was joking based on the pictures you posted
Old 14-03-2012, 01:25   #144
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

He knew that.....

(I think)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 01:37   #145
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Yes, I did.

But all joking aside, I do have a half dozen wireless networks running usually, mostly at low power as one of the things I'm trying to figure out is the giant clusterf...udge that is wireless roaming.

That and I was completely serious about the glow. This is my window right now.
Old 14-03-2012, 01:43   #146
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Yes, I did.

But all joking aside, I do have a half dozen wireless networks running usually, mostly at low power as one of the things I'm trying to figure out is the giant clusterf...udge that is wireless roaming.

That and I was completely serious about the glow. This is my window right now.
Isn't it harmful to have all those radio signals in your house?
Old 14-03-2012, 01:47   #147
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

No.

Remember US power limits for wireless networks are at least ten times higher than in the UK.

And how the US is the land of freedom, where you can sue anyone for anything.

We'd have heard about it by now.
Old 14-03-2012, 01:58   #148
thenry
Inactive

qas you really are our version of Sheldon Cooper only factual and better

Your 'disco' lights and turn table are priceless
Old 14-03-2012, 10:06   #149
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Oh crap, nearly forgot - need to take that turntable to work today. You literally reminded me on my way out this morning!
Old 14-03-2012, 10:39   #150
thenry
Inactive

your welcome