Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin answer machine not working

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Virgin answer machine not working

Old 09-11-2010, 11:01   #1
lenny4343
Inactive

lenny4343 is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin answer machine not working

Virgin answer machine problemSince August have tried to sort out problems with BT Hudson telephone answer machine. Could not get answer machine to pick up incoming messages. Checked correct set up, still unable to get machine to pick up messages. Took telephone answer machine back to retailer claiming it was faulty. Replacement was just the same.... We suspected it was a faulty batch. We are now on our 4th telephone including a phillips and constant calls to 150 to report fault. Virgin voicemail has been taken off after a few phone calls. We took our phone to neighbours a BT Line and a Virgin Line. The answer machine picked up on both lines. We then borrowed a neighbours phone and set it up on our line......the answer machine did not work.

Yesterday a Virgin engineer came and said it was our telephone that was faulty. We have now isolated the problem to something to do with the line. I phoned 150 again last night and they tested the line and said there was nothing wrong with the line and claimed it was my telephone.

Can anyone suggest a solution before I am forced to change provider.

Lenny
lenny4343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2010, 20:40   #2
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: Virgin answer machine not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny4343 View Post
Virgin answer machine problemSince August have tried to sort out problems with BT Hudson telephone answer machine. Could not get answer machine to pick up incoming messages. Checked correct set up, still unable to get machine to pick up messages. Took telephone answer machine back to retailer claiming it was faulty. Replacement was just the same.... We suspected it was a faulty batch. We are now on our 4th telephone including a phillips and constant calls to 150 to report fault. Virgin voicemail has been taken off after a few phone calls. We took our phone to neighbours a BT Line and a Virgin Line. The answer machine picked up on both lines. We then borrowed a neighbours phone and set it up on our line......the answer machine did not work.

Yesterday a Virgin engineer came and said it was our telephone that was faulty. We have now isolated the problem to something to do with the line. I phoned 150 again last night and they tested the line and said there was nothing wrong with the line and claimed it was my telephone.

Can anyone suggest a solution before I am forced to change provider.

Lenny
How many 'phones have you got plugged in to your line? Have Virgin Media confirmed that the VM Voicemail is switched off?
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 23:21   #3
lenny4343
Inactive

I have three phones. Virgin media have confirmed that voicemail is switched off.

Rgds Lenny
Old 10-11-2010, 18:52   #4
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I have three phones. Virgin media have confirmed that voicemail is switched off.

Rgds Lenny
Have you tried having just the answerphone plugged in on it's own?

When you say 3 'phones, do you mean handsets or 3 plugged in to 3 different sockets in the home?

It could be a REN issue?
Old 10-11-2010, 20:01   #5
lenny4343
Inactive

Thank you for trying to help me.

I have a three phone set BT Hudson 1500. Master handsetset has its own built in answermachine plugged into telephone line + 13 amp socket.. The other two handsets are plugged into 13 amp socket.

I was told it was not a REN issue.

Do you think it is something to do with the line ......next door neighbour is a Virgin Media customer. We set up our telephone equipment in their house and it worked perfectly.

Desperate to sort this out.

Regards Lenny
Old 11-11-2010, 13:58   #6
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Thank you for trying to help me.

I have a three phone set BT Hudson 1500. Master handsetset has its own built in answermachine plugged into telephone line + 13 amp socket.. The other two handsets are plugged into 13 amp socket.

I was told it was not a REN issue.

Do you think it is something to do with the line ......next door neighbour is a Virgin Media customer. We set up our telephone equipment in their house and it worked perfectly.

Desperate to sort this out.

Regards Lenny
If there is nothing on the VM line, such as call divert/voicemail, you've checked the same machine on another VM and BT line, you've proved the machine works.

It does point to a line issue somewhere.

Do you have any other issues with the VM line?
Old 11-11-2010, 15:57   #7
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I had something similar recently. For 2 weekends running the phones would not ring but were displaying the incoming call and of course the answer phone wouldnt work. This transpired to be a fault on Virgin's side of the master socket.

One question are you plugged into the master socket just in case theres is something wrong with your internal wiring (if any)?
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 19:07   #8
lenny4343
Inactive

Thank you all for trying to help us.

I am sure that there is a fault with the line somewhere. Virgin Media check the line and continue to tell me that they have tested the line. It is like a game of tennis, back and forth.....which does not help the issue, that my telephone answer machine does not work on my VM line. What do you suggest I say to get my problem taken seriously.

We have tried all sockets in the house, also thinking it maybe a socket fault.

Total despair. Will call VM over the weekend and keep complaining that, something has to be done.

Thanks Lenny
Old 11-11-2010, 19:26   #9
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thank you all for trying to help us.

We have tried all sockets in the house, also thinking it maybe a socket fault.
Can you disconnect all the other sockets from the master. If the answerphone still doesnt work this would prove its Virgin's problem.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 19:27   #10
lenny4343
Inactive

Forgot to ask this question
When I call VM.....Although everyone I have spoken to has been really polite and tried their best...... what department would be best for me to contact to explain my tale of woe.

Regards Lenny
Old 12-11-2010, 14:02   #11
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Forgot to ask this question
When I call VM.....Although everyone I have spoken to has been really polite and tried their best...... what department would be best for me to contact to explain my tale of woe.

Regards Lenny
Best to carry on speaking to faults with this one. From what you've said on here, it does sound like something with the line/master socket in your home.

Maybe ask them to consult their 2nd line team?
Old 12-11-2010, 17:50   #12
lenny4343
Inactive

Thank you both for your input. will contact VM over the weekend and let you know what they say. Hope they keep a log of how many calls I have already made.

Regards Lenny
Old 20-11-2010, 07:38   #13
lenny4343
Inactive

Thanks for all the advice I did call VM and convinced them that it was the line that had the problem not my telephone answermachine and that the VM forum had gone over all the things that I needed to double check. An appointment was made for the following day with an engineer who knew his stuff. An engineer arrived and first checking phone was set up properly then checked master socket (didnt seem to have one) so he installed a Virgin socket.....although this was not the cause of the actual problem to be solved. Shortly afterwards the engineers supervisor arrived. Listened to my tale of woe. Checked my telephone answer was not working, and took my phone down to the Virgin master box down the street. it was there he found that something was wrong with an E.C.??????board that he had never experienced before. He presto!!!! I am now an extremely happy customer. Just a little bit cross, it took so long to get VM to take notice that there was a fault on the line. I did tell the engineer involved that I was going to post on the forum how happy I was that he had found and solved the answer to get my telephone answermachine working. A HUGE THANK YOU.
Old 20-11-2010, 20:07   #14
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice I did call VM and convinced them that it was the line that had the problem not my telephone answermachine and that the VM forum had gone over all the things that I needed to double check. An appointment was made for the following day with an engineer who knew his stuff. An engineer arrived and first checking phone was set up properly then checked master socket (didnt seem to have one) so he installed a Virgin socket.....although this was not the cause of the actual problem to be solved. Shortly afterwards the engineers supervisor arrived. Listened to my tale of woe. Checked my telephone answer was not working, and took my phone down to the Virgin master box down the street. it was there he found that something was wrong with an E.C.??????board that he had never experienced before. He presto!!!! I am now an extremely happy customer. Just a little bit cross, it took so long to get VM to take notice that there was a fault on the line. I did tell the engineer involved that I was going to post on the forum how happy I was that he had found and solved the answer to get my telephone answermachine working. A HUGE THANK YOU.
Fantastic... glad it's all sorted.

It's sounds like it was such a strange fault, it caused a bit of confusion at the VM end!