Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | More price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

More price rises

Old 23-09-2016, 10:13   #286
yorkshireborn
Inactive

Services: SkyQ silver 2TB SkyQ mini multiroom Boxset skysports HD skymovies HD Virgin vivid 350meg
yorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about them
Re: More price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
That's the point I made to Mad Max who asked me to show him a recent price rise. Two days later, I didn't need to go far to find one and explained that the weaker Pound would feed through into increased costs for companies like VM who buy hardware, software and content largely in Dollars.
His argument was that the UK would export more but he couldn't explain how this would help VM cope with its increased costs. If it was a long-term shift then perhaps VM would bring back some things it's offshored like the contact centres but the uncertainty does not encourage such moves.

At the moment, it's still possible for the £ to recover against the $ but uncertainty about Brexit terms is holding the £ down. As anyone who has travelled abroad recently knows, the £ in your pocket does not stretch as far a it once did
so why has sky not walloped their prices up they must be in the same boat
yorkshireborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-09-2016, 10:52   #287
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post
so why has sky not walloped their prices up they must be in the same boat
VM's in a slightly different boat as its parent company, Liberty Global, prices its shares in US $ whilst Sky plc prices its shares in £.
A weaker £ means less profit in $ for Liberty Global so more pressure to raise prices. As always, there's a risk that higher prices will result in churn and the Which? report advising that 50% of VM customers were unhappy with price rises must be a concern for the company. Looking at it objectively, it's certainly a bold move.
But, we don't know how either company hedges currency fluctuations - if VM's costs have risen significantly then it may not have done so sufficiently; Sky could have done.
Aside from exchange rates, there are other factors at play impacting pay-TV companies. The rise of companies like Netflix and Amazon has lead to increased content costs as more companies bid for film and entertainment rights. We've seen this most visibly with UK sports TV rights and the emergence of BT Sport as a powerful force.
And, Sky has already unleashed price rises upon its customers most recently in June so may feel that it needs a gap before the next increase is implemented.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 11:07   #288
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
I would leave the DD in place - they will likely take the payment, their billing system will then produce a final bill based on your leaving date and will credit you any money you are owed. Cancelling the DD or paying what you think you owe may place marks on your credit file even when you don't technically owe them.
But I have a bill to pay to Sky this month so paying two lots of £80 isn't really feasible.
Old 23-09-2016, 11:59   #289
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

You can bet Sky will raise prices again soon they are all as bad as each other.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 15:08   #290
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Just to re-state the obvious, make sure you talk to VM retentions, even if it means staying on the phone for ages, it sometimes pays off. I'm staying with VM for a bit longer.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 17:49   #291
MrB
cf.addict

MrB is on a distinguished roadMrB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
But I have a bill to pay to Sky this month so paying two lots of £80 isn't really feasible.
It would be even more of an issue if a missed or underpayment was reported to credit reference agencies.

When companies mess up reporting incorrect information they can cause serious damage l, as I have found out (not VM).
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 22:46   #292
thunderlips
Inactive

Services: XL TIVO, 200 MEG BB, PHONE , 4 MOBILES
thunderlips is a glorious beacon of lightthunderlips is a glorious beacon of lightthunderlips is a glorious beacon of lightthunderlips is a glorious beacon of lightthunderlips is a glorious beacon of lightthunderlips is a glorious beacon of lightthunderlips is a glorious beacon of light

got the letter package price going up again ! phoned retention's told them i was unhappy offered me a good deal same package but at a reduced cost, i always find chatting with them in a good manner gets rewards lol another 12 month contract but thats how it goes, i never planned on leaving vm anyway always offered me good deals in the past never had a problem with the services.
thunderlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 00:10   #293
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderlips View Post
got the letter package price going up again ! phoned retention's told them i was unhappy offered me a good deal same package but at a reduced cost, i always find chatting with them in a good manner gets rewards lol another 12 month contract but thats how it goes, i never planned on leaving vm anyway always offered me good deals in the past never had a problem with the services.

Same here wife called them today and got our £56 a month package deal (9 months) then £97 a month. down to £62 a month for 6 months then £65 a month for the last 6 months

Kept our XL tv and weekend calls and dropped the BB from 200 to 100 and in all honesty haven't noticed the difference.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 14:38   #294
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

We got our letter today. An increase of £3.49 on our 200Mb and phone. We lose our £6 loyalty discount at the same time so it's really an increase of £9.49 from £44.93 making it £54.42 which is way too much. Time to change our package I suppose. Hoping we can get 200Mb on its own for £45.25.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 14:52   #295
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileikcaek View Post
We got our letter today. An increase of £3.49 on our 200Mb and phone. We lose our £6 loyalty discount at the same time so it's really an increase of £9.49 from £44.93 making it £54.42 which is way too much. Time to change our package I suppose. Hoping we can get 200Mb on its own for £45.25.
That's the standard price for 200mb on it's own, so definitely possible - I'd aim for a discount though
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 15:55   #296
yorkshireborn
Inactive

Services: SkyQ silver 2TB SkyQ mini multiroom Boxset skysports HD skymovies HD Virgin vivid 350meg
yorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileikcaek View Post
I got my 200meg on its own for £39.
yorkshireborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 19:38   #297
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Just got our price rise - £3.50pm. It must say I find VM's tactic of offering 'free' upgrades shortly followed by a price rise quite shoddy and very definitely shortsighted. I don't entirely buy the £ v $ argument even though I accept it will have an upward effect on prices. Oddly I don't recall prices dropping much the last time the value of Sterling went up but hey ho. We all expect price rises but please don't treat your customers like idiots VM. I hardly watch TV, don't need 200mb (not that I get anywhere near it lol) and hardly use the landline so if this carries on for much longer I'll be saying goodbye to the lot.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 00:27   #298
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Just got our price rise - £3.50pm. It must say I find VM's tactic of offering 'free' upgrades shortly followed by a price rise quite shoddy and very definitely shortsighted. I don't entirely buy the £ v $ argument even though I accept it will have an upward effect on prices. Oddly I don't recall prices dropping much the last time the value of Sterling went up but hey ho. We all expect price rises but please don't treat your customers like idiots VM. I hardly watch TV, don't need 200mb (not that I get anywhere near it lol) and hardly use the landline so if this carries on for much longer I'll be saying goodbye to the lot.
I've no idea why your with Virgin if you don't need the services they provide
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 10:34   #299
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I've no idea why your with Virgin if you don't need the services they provide
Simple, I have a wife and kids who wanted them and the so called free upgrades have been offered not requested by us. As I explained, that's now under review due to the ever increasing cost and dubious tactics.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 11:13   #300
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Simple, I have a wife and kids who wanted them and the so called free upgrades have been offered not requested by us. As I explained, that's now under review due to the ever increasing cost and dubious tactics.
I can fully appreciate your position because mine is similar. My partner doesn't want me to switch to sky simply because she likes sone of the apps that come with the tivo box.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote