Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How did Cable TV Start in the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

How did Cable TV Start in the UK?

Old 12-03-2007, 17:43   #1
REM
Inactive

Services: TV Full House V6 200Mb/s + Telephone
REM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really niceREM is just really nice
How did Cable TV Start in the UK?

I'm in Coventry and we've had cable TV here since the mid 80's. It used to be provided by Coventry Cable.

Were they just a local face to a larger cable network or would they have done everything themselves? Was Coventry an isolated network along with many others across the country?
REM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2007, 17:46   #2
D0gleg
Inactive

Services: Large BroadBand Extra Large TV (V+) Teeney Weeeney Phone
D0gleg is a jewel in the roughD0gleg is a jewel in the roughD0gleg is a jewel in the roughD0gleg is a jewel in the roughD0gleg is a jewel in the rough
Re: How did Cable TV Start in the UK?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cable/history/

There is loads of info there!

And also here too...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/26...ble-tv-uk.html
D0gleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 17:57   #3
valor
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP
valor is on a distinguished roadvalor is on a distinguished road

I believe Rediffusion was the first cable system in UK..theres a post about it somwhere here at CF was reading it smorm...
valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 18:05   #4
channel surfer
Inactive

channel surfer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,new to this forum.
I remember in the early 80's that cable was called Starview in the pontypridd area.
channel surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 18:48   #5
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

And Comtel started in Swindon
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 18:57   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

All the road access points are marked Cabletel around here...
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 19:01   #7
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

There used to be a cable TV system in Peterborough in the 60's called British Relay. You werent able tp be permission to put an external aerial up so plugged your TV into the British Relay socket that was put into new houses in the 60's and 70's

British Relay became Rediffusion

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/tv/te...chnology9.html
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 19:05   #8
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

Not sure when cable first came to my part of Yorkshire, but we opted to have it installed as soon as it came into our street. I was on Yorkshire cable and got my internet from cableinet. I think that was about 7 years ago.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 13:20   #9
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Here in the East Midlands, I remember when Diamond cable were digging up all the roads in the late 90's. They spent ages laying down the cables.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 13:31   #10
djstevie
Inactive

Services: Sky HD+ Multiroom, Sky BB Unlimited, Sky Talk Unlimited.
djstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of lightdjstevie is a glorious beacon of light

Was originally Cabletel here in Glasgow too ( my area anyway ). I remember the excitement in the mid 90's when i seen the people digging up the streets and laying the cables. Dont people think back then that the general programs on cable, sky, were much better. When i think back to some of the shows i used to watch, Ray Cokes on MTV was a fav of mines . Most things seem very "americanised" now.
djstevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 13:35   #11
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
And Comtel started in Swindon
I believe Swindon Cable was it's own little franchise, and then it was bought by ComTel (who were previously Telecential) and they were based in Winnersh, Berks.
orangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 14:34   #12
welwynrose
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP Package
welwynrose has a spectacular aura about themwelwynrose has a spectacular aura about themwelwynrose has a spectacular aura about themwelwynrose has a spectacular aura about them

my OH tells me that when he was a kid there was only cable TV in Welwyn Garden as you weren't allowed an aerial
welwynrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 15:03   #13
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Here in the East Midlands, I remember when Diamond cable were digging up all the roads in the late 90's. They spent ages laying down the cables.
Yep Grimsby then nottingham was one of the first. Diamond if I can remember was a small cable company from Texas. I believe microsoft was one of the companies who part owned diamond.

I can remember when it first aired they showed how like texas grimsby was going to have a revolutionary system where schools would have home cable linkup. Then if your children was ill they could still do there schooling from home. You would be able to do your shopping from the confort of your home as all the local shops would be part of some cable technology.

Somehow we never goto to that level. But hey they sold cable to me. You was just given the impression you were being part of a revelotion in how this country would change in communications.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 17:33   #14
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I remember it being the early 90's when we had our estate cabled (Cable North West, Ashton-in-Makerfield). We used to call cable an acronym - 'Cars And Bloomin Lorries Everywhere'. Once it was all finished every house was carded asking could they pay us a no-pressure visit. We said yes and a *very* smart bloke in a suit (much more like the man from the Pru than the cable salespeople of today!) came and talked to us for half an hour about what was being offered. There was no pressure to sign up - indeed you couldn't on the spot. They left a glossy brochure which I remembered reading at the age of 13 - 'in the future, we will be offering very high speed access to the internet' - those words stayed with me for a while. Sadly, my parents at the time decided it wasn't worth the cash and stuck with BT. But there was a feeling that it was genuinely something special, something better than BT.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2007, 18:18   #15
gario
Inactive

gario is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive been with cable since 1991.

It was with Nynex, this was in Poole Dorset.
gario is offline   Reply With Quote