Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | slow net speeds

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

slow net speeds

Old 13-02-2017, 23:29   #1
ldc2710
cf.member

Services: virgin vip package
ldc2710 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to ldc2710
slow net speeds

hi im on vivid 200 game and am i right in thinking that i shouldnt have any throttling/traffic management cos for the past week or so ive been getting a dl speed of about 10mbps with a higher ping than normal and its effecting everyone on the net
ldc2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2017, 00:36   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: slow net speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldc2710 View Post
i shouldnt have any throttling/traffic management
you are absolutely correct. Quite interestingly my connection has been mint and all of Lincoln's traffic goes through Nottingham. You might find it is a local fault or congestion issue in your street/immediate area.

The first two things I would check are your power levels and setup a TBB graph which looks like this:

Don't dismiss this and think it is a faff. Both are great diagnostic tools and if your connection has annoyed you enough that you have taken the time to come on the forum and moan about it then you can do yourself a favour and provide more info to troubleshoot it.

Can you do a speed test as well and see what you get? Are you using a pc or laptop and is it wired or wireless? See, lots of variables and things we need to think about. I wouldn't go ringing VM yet.

Last edited by General Maximus; 14-02-2017 at 00:54.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 00:43   #3
ldc2710
cf.member

just as i thought,looks like a call to vm in the morning
Old 14-02-2017, 10:58   #4
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Before you call VM, double check it's nothing local on your network. I.e. make sure nobody's torrenting.

Easiest way to do that is unplug everything except one device, disable wireless and see what your speeds are like.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 15:11   #5
ldc2710
cf.member

hi yeah ive done it with only me on the net,wired in and rebooted a few times but still crappy speeds
Old 14-02-2017, 15:21   #6
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Power levels and tbb graph
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote