Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM 500mbps testing?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM 500mbps testing?

Old 25-01-2017, 10:43   #31
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: VM 500mbps testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
It's not on the website unless available in your area. Well that's looking at it as a new customer, not sure about upgrading.
If I go through the website as a new customer at my current address, it lists "up to 200 meg" and "Vivid 200" everywhere. Once I have the package in my basket, I can back out of the checkout and modify the package, and select 300, so it's relatively hidden.

At the time I upgraded to 300, I'd just gone from 8 to 12 channels, it was not on the website at all for me, and customer services said no. The guy in the store made it happen.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2017, 10:52   #32
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
If I go through the website as a new customer at my current address, it lists "up to 200 meg" and "Vivid 200" everywhere. Once I have the package in my basket, I can back out of the checkout and modify the package, and select 300, so it's relatively hidden.

At the time I upgraded to 300, I'd just gone from 8 to 12 channels, it was not on the website at all for me, and customer services said no. The guy in the store made it happen.
Which means it's available in your area. If I do the same it's there but not selectable.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 11:02   #33
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Which means it's available in your area. If I do the same it's there but not selectable.
I know it is availible, I have it, but when I got it, it was not there, that's what I'm saying :P
Old 25-01-2017, 11:14   #34
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
I know it is availible, I have it, but when I got it, it was not there, that's what I'm saying :P
Did you do the same as you did after you got it though? Or are you trying to say if I buy it then it will show up on the website?

Either way 300Mb isn't available in my area. I've tested two postcodes, one in the north and one in the south. The one in the north shows 200Mb is the fastest speed available on the postcode checker. When buying if you back out and change package, 300Mb is there but not selectable. The postcode in the south shows the fastest speed available is 300Mb. If you go on to buy then it only shows 200Mb but once backing out 300Mb is selectable.

For what it's worth my area which doesn't have 300Mb also hasn't had the free speed upgrades from 2015 yet. Or hadn't up till 5th of January. Not sure how to check now as I'm on 200Mb as I 'upgraded' from 152Mb myself.
Old 25-01-2017, 11:55   #35
rtho782
cf.addict

I'm trying to say that even though it doesn't show on the website, and the call centre are useless, you might be able to get it if you speak to them in store, if you have 12+ DS channels, as that's what happened to me
Old 25-01-2017, 12:00   #36
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
I'm trying to say that even though it doesn't show on the website, and the call centre are useless, you might be able to get it if you speak to them in store, if you have 12+ DS channels, as that's what happened to me
But it does show on the website, that's my point.

Edit just to add that I don't actually want to pay to upgrade to 300Mb so I won't be phoning up or visiting a store. I'm just interested more than anything.
Old 25-01-2017, 12:03   #37
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
But it does show on the website, that's my point.

Edit just to add that I don't actually want to pay to upgrade to 300Mb so I won't be phoning up or visiting a store. I'm just interested more than anything.
Seems to depend who you speak to at CS if they put it through or not
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 12:06   #38
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Seems to depend who you speak to at CS if they put it through or not
From what I believe to be true it hasn't launched in all areas so it also depends on what area you live in.
Old 27-01-2017, 23:31   #39
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Still waiting for New Malden to be upgraded - 12 downstream channels and no 300 Mb/s service here yet. The network here hasn't been the best though did get some form of upgrade about 2 years ago.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 23:59   #40
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
Still waiting for New Malden to be upgraded - 12 downstream channels and no 300 Mb/s service here yet. The network here hasn't been the best though did get some form of upgrade about 2 years ago.
I'd guess there's quite a few areas waiting to be upgraded? I know ours is, on 12 downstream channels as well although get full speed the vast majority of the time.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 19:15   #41
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Depending on the return path bandwidth and line amplifier filter configuration, it might not be easy to increase upload speeds without replacing all the filters in the plant.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 14:26   #42
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
300mbps isn't available everywhere yet. It's not available in some parts of Bristol, but it is in others.

I don't think they've published any sort of schedule for its rollout.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 15:20   #43
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
Good for you!

But I'm not sure how that's got anything to do with my post.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 16:05   #44
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
Good for you!

But I'm not sure how that's got anything to do with my post.
Just illustrating your point that it is available in some places, but mostly indicating that, at least in my case, you get the full monty+ and a very good quality connection too.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:45   #45
tidder23
cf.member

tidder23 is on a distinguished roadtidder23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Interesting, however i'd say unnecessary for over 90% of residential customers.

I'd much rather see them boost the upload speeds to be perfectly honest, don't suppose they mentioned anything about that?
lol here this every time let's all go back to 700kbs then

the internet speed goes up first then the Services come
4K netflix any one
what about steam
50GB+ for sum games

if it go's up more makes 8K netflix more feasible
think 3 kids mom and dad to

there is never a need until it comes
and don't forget it forces other isp's to react

wheres my 10Gbs lol

Last edited by tidder23; 05-02-2017 at 10:09.
tidder23 is offline   Reply With Quote