Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Business 5 IP subnet: Max speed and CPE options?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Business 5 IP subnet: Max speed and CPE options?

Old 03-10-2016, 15:36   #1
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute
Business 5 IP subnet: Max speed and CPE options?

We're currently running a 50/5 VM business cable connection through a VM Business superhub (IIRC its a netgear device, Possibly an SH1 or SH2).

My question is, are VM currently offering either a different/newer superhub that can deal with a routed subnet (preferably one that's stable!)? Also, do the higher speed business options support routed subnets or only the 50mbit tier?
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2016, 00:06   #2
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Business 5 IP subnet: Max speed and CPE options?

At the moment none of the new options from VMB are launched with a routed static subnet option. However this is in trial and I hear should be launched soon now.

All of the options - 50, 100, 200 and 300 Mb/s will be offered with either 1 Dynamic, 1 static, 5 static of 13 static addresses.

All of these options are delivered using the Hitron router, which does seem stable. I have one running 200 Mb/s right now and it's not given any problems in the 8 weeks I have had it.
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:15   #3
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Cracking, thanks for that.

After giving them a call VM have force updated our SH to the latest firmware so we'll see if that sorts out the reboots/intermittent connections we've been seeing, otherwise we'll have to see about getting a new router/modem.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 00:24   #4
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I still have a 50/5 connection active for a few more weeks on the older business Superhub 1, this was also with the 5 IP address routed subnet option. When it was upgraded to the later firmware this did fix all of the issues I had with it, apart from the fact that the management web pages would lock up after a while, but that never affected actual traffic. This issue was due to the device becoming short of memory I believe. Thankfully the new Hitron doesn't share that problem!
Old 19-10-2016, 17:02   #5
naysan19
Inactive

naysan19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
At the moment none of the new options from VMB are launched with a routed static subnet option. However this is in trial and I hear should be launched soon now.

All of the options - 50, 100, 200 and 300 Mb/s will be offered with either 1 Dynamic, 1 static, 5 static of 13 static addresses.

All of these options are delivered using the Hitron router, which does seem stable. I have one running 200 Mb/s right now and it's not given any problems in the 8 weeks I have had it.
Do you know when this is likely to be generally available? We're moving offices in the next 3 months to an area with no FTTC so looking to move our current VM set up. They say our current configuration (5 static IPs) can't be moved to the new place as its seen as a new connection and they currently don't support the multiple routed static subnet option.

Last edited by naysan19; 19-10-2016 at 17:16. Reason: edit
naysan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 22:59   #6
ccarmock
cf.geek

I haven't herd of a public launch date as yet, but I was under the impression it was not too far into the future. In reality they should be able to allow you to move your existing service though, as it's still a supported service.

Or is it a case of 'computer says no'?

In which case push them to be part of the trial group if you can. The service is stable now, so not sure why they are holding off.
Old 19-10-2016, 23:19   #7
naysan19
Inactive

Ok good, i'll keep an eye on the website to see if anything changes in the next few weeks.

I spoke to two different customer service representatives, both of them said the same thing - if we wanted to take out a new connection, we could only get one static IP as multiple static IPs are not supported for new connections. The only way to keep the current set up is if the move was less than 25 metres from where the SH is now, which is seen as an internal move.

They also didn't have a timescale for when they would offer multiple static IPs again. I'll see if I can get on the trial while we're still in the current building.
Old 11-11-2016, 16:21   #8
naysan19
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
I haven't herd of a public launch date as yet, but I was under the impression it was not too far into the future. In reality they should be able to allow you to move your existing service though, as it's still a supported service.

Or is it a case of 'computer says no'?

In which case push them to be part of the trial group if you can. The service is stable now, so not sure why they are holding off.
I've been told the trial is a closed group as its part way though. Multiple subnet support is expected to be available in Q1 2017.

Will have to go for dynamic IP and hope its as sticky as they say!
Old 12-11-2016, 15:58   #9
ccarmock
cf.geek

WOW over a year after they launched the new revised services!
Old 12-11-2016, 16:11   #10
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by naysan19 View Post

Will have to go for dynamic IP and hope its as sticky as they say!
In all the years I've been on cable my IP has only changed 3 or 4 times. The most recent is about 4 years old. I do leave the hub powered all the time as the longer it is left off the more likely an IP change is. Simply when the hub is off the IP it had goes back into the pool and could be issued to another client by DHCP
Old 13-11-2016, 13:03   #11
naysan19
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
In all the years I've been on cable my IP has only changed 3 or 4 times. The most recent is about 4 years old. I do leave the hub powered all the time as the longer it is left off the more likely an IP change is. Simply when the hub is off the IP it had goes back into the pool and could be issued to another client by DHCP
Thanks for the reassurance, I'm sure it will be fine for a few months until the multiple routed subnets are available - that's if they don't delay it even further!
Old 13-11-2016, 17:17   #12
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
The Renewal period graudually gets longer and longer, but your IP can technically change at any renewal, like if reseg work is happening. It's rare though.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 12:57   #13
InsaneNutter
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 200mbit / Superhub 3 Modem / pfSense Firewall
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
The Renewal period graudually gets longer and longer, but your IP can technically change at any renewal, like if reseg work is happening. It's rare though.
My IP changed the other day for the first time in around 4-5+ years, i'd managed to keep the same IP from a VMNG300 going to the Superhub 1 and eventually a Superhub 3.

When placing the new Superhub's in modem mode I always obtained the same IP again.
Old 14-11-2016, 23:06   #14
nallar
Inactive

nallar is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved house a short distance and my IP didn't change!

It definitely changes if the MAC address of your router changes.
nallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 23:24   #15
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Correct, it issues the IP based on the Mac address the CMTS "sees". In Modem mode, it passes through the MAC of the router/device. In router mode, it will be the MAC of the hub.

Fastest way to force an IP change is to change the advertised MAC.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote