Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 23-01-2015, 13:21   #46
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Still think its pretty pointless if your desperate to watch you can tune in live , slightly delayed via PVR or On Demand which arrives generally pretty quick after broadcast.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2015, 13:33   #47
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Still think its pretty pointless if your desperate to watch you can tune in live , slightly delayed via PVR or On Demand which arrives generally pretty quick after broadcast.
I was just trying to explain that if linear channels were withdrawn, live viewing was still possible.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 14:25   #48
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I was just trying to explain that if linear channels were withdrawn, live viewing was still possible.
If live viewing is still desirable, then linear broadcasting is the simplest and most efficient way to deliver it ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 14:51   #49
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Exactly.
Old 23-01-2015, 14:59   #50
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

sometimes, the simplest thing is life is to be given a shortlist of what to watch at an appropiate time, thats what linear does for me, if given too much choice I waste far too much time going through sky movies app (lets face it the searching function of movies on VM is dross) Finally making a choice of what to watch from the selection and before you know it you made shortlist etc and an hour lost of your life, a whole hour!

life too short buts hey thats me

interesting discussion though btw
Anypermitedroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 15:22   #51
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I have to agree. Part of what I can't stand about Netflix is trawling through hundreds of shows. It's not that I'm indecisive, but sometimes it's nice to have the decision made for you. I think the op is suggesting the solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist.
Old 23-01-2015, 15:49   #52
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I have to agree. Part of what I can't stand about Netflix is trawling through hundreds of shows. .

I find that checking 'recently added to Netflix' type sites and subscribing to forum threads that recommend titles on Netflix helps with that.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 21:19   #53
andy_m
cf.mega poster

andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Cheers for advice. I've taken to googling what's currently good on Netflix in the past. I don't find the "recommended for you" suggestions that great.
Old 23-01-2015, 21:37   #54
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I have to agree. Part of what I can't stand about Netflix is trawling through hundreds of shows. It's not that I'm indecisive, but sometimes it's nice to have the decision made for you. I think the op is suggesting the solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist.
Quite correct. There is nothing wrong with the way it works currently. There is no need to recreate the wheel. Even if things did ever change and we had the choice of on demand or sticking to the listings, I would still keep to the listings. I don't mind a bit of binge watching now and a gain, but the anticipation of waiting for the next episode is all part of the fun for me.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 22:25   #55
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If live viewing is still desirable, then linear broadcasting is the simplest and most efficient way to deliver it ...
I said possible, not desirable!

I'm not the one suggesting that withdrawing the linear channels is a good idea, I'm just commenting on what I think is coming.
Old 23-01-2015, 22:59   #56
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

I'm not the one suggesting that withdrawing the linear channels is a good idea, I'm just commenting on what I think is coming.
I know - but I'm giving reasons why I think it's *not* coming. Linear broadcast is a simple, efficient means of content delivery that, at peak viewing periods, satisfies an audience consisting of almost half the entire population of the country. It just works.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 09:47   #57
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Quote:

I think if you read your first three posts on this thread it does look like you're arguing for it to happen.
Old 24-01-2015, 18:47   #58
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I think if you read your first three posts on this thread it does look like you're arguing for it to happen.
I understand why you would say that, but actually I was trying to get to the bottom of why some of us on here are so against it.

I've concluded that it's just that it's easy to get stuck in your own ways of doing things.
Old 24-01-2015, 19:13   #59
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I understand why you would say that, but actually I was trying to get to the bottom of why some of us on here are so against it.

I've concluded that it's just that it's easy to get stuck in your own ways of doing things.
Lol,"stuck in your own ways of doing things"? It could be that, or it could just be that I prefer the current system. I will enjoy binge watching House Of Cards next month, but I am enjoying the wait between Broadchurch episodes more. It allows me to think about the show and all it's intricacies when I am bored lumping stock out at work.

BTW, I am not against it, as long the companies allow us to watch/record the shows as we currently do. I will be happy for those who want shows "on-demand".
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 11:31   #60
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
4OD is a nightmare for adverts when it works lol, demand5 and itv you can use adblock+ to get around the adverts though.
Has ITV Player introduced HD content to the online version ? ITV Player on Sky now offers quite a lot of the content in HD.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote