Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Headends.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Headends.

Old 21-03-2010, 22:17   #31
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age
Re: Headends.

here's some pic's of a Rediffusion headend.

http://www.rediffusion.info/rcs.html

scroll to the bottom of page.
Old 22-03-2010, 09:18   #32
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Not a headend, but here's VM Towers aka HQ:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...05477&t=h&z=18
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 09:53   #33
nn012
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media TV, Broadband and Phone.
nn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quads

Birmingham: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...01714&t=h&z=19

and

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,305.76,,0,5
nn012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 10:39   #34
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Langley. The centre of Virgin's universeAttachment 19812
Now this looks interesting, look at the shadows on the ground....
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...,0.003433&z=18

What could it be?

Or, could it be here?:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...10954&t=h&z=17

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

Here's a overhead shot of a boring business park, can't better it I'm afraid, nothing of interest there of course:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...10954&t=h&z=17
Old 22-03-2010, 11:26   #35
The-Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verizon View Post
Now this looks interesting, look at the shadows on the ground....
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...05477&t=h&z=18

What could it be?

Or, could it be here?:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...10954&t=h&z=17

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

Here's a overhead shot of a boring business park, can't better it I'm afraid, nothing of interest there of course:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...10954&t=h&z=17
Crawley Court - Arqiva
Morn Hill - Arqiva
Langley DMC - Virgin.
Old 22-03-2010, 11:40   #36
Horizon
Media Watcher

....he knows his stuff.

For those less familar with this stuff, the last one is the super headend at Langley (Slough). The other two are teleports and you can actually see some dishes. The teleports were both used by ntl, in fact owned by them, before the broadcast side got hived off.

Put it like this, the tv signals come into the super headend and are sent out, distributed, through the teleports.
Old 22-03-2010, 12:04   #37
The-Darkside

Quote:
....he knows his stuff.

For those less familar with this stuff, the last one is the super headend at Langley (Slough). The other two are teleports and you can actually see some dishes. The teleports were both used by ntl, in fact owned by them, before the broadcast side got hived off.

Put it like this, the tv signals come into the super headend and are sent out, distributed, through the teleports.
The Super headend takes in signals, but the feeds to the regions are all done by fibre. No teleports involved.

Theres dishes visible outside the DMC as well, all 3metre dishes, all downlink dishes.
Old 22-03-2010, 12:12   #38
Horizon
Media Watcher

I know VM have fibre links to the regions and to Sky etc, but didn't ntl used to distribute the different ITV regions via the teleports as but one example? Although, we're probably talking some years ago now.

Perhaps a certain spidery friend of the forum could take a few snaps of Langley when he's next there?? Just to show it really exists!
Old 22-03-2010, 12:17   #39
The-Darkside

Quote:
I know VM have fibre links to the regions and to Sky etc, but didn't ntl used to distribute the different ITV regions via the teleports as but one example? Although, we're probably talking some years ago now.

Perhaps a certain spidery friend of the forum could take a few snaps of Langley when he's next there?? Just to show it really exists!
The uplinking of ITV is one of the things that Arqiva do, but its nothing to do with cable. The cable headends either use the local DTT site to acquire their ITV or they use the Astra 2 downlink to acquire the correct ITV.

I wonder if it has changed much, but I doubt photo's would be approved of.
Old 22-03-2010, 12:28   #40
Horizon
Media Watcher

Thanks for that. I'm getting my terrestrials confused with my cables here.
Old 22-03-2010, 12:36   #41
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
When I click on your link I get the Baguley site in Manchester and I don't know whether it's just Google picking up on my earlier link to that location.
i shall try and re-send it again later as i'm at work at the moment and can't get google earth sorry don't know how that happened
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 13:14   #42
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Darkside View Post
The uplinking of ITV is one of the things that Arqiva do, but its nothing to do with cable. The cable headends either use the local DTT site to acquire their ITV or they use the Astra 2 downlink to acquire the correct ITV.

I wonder if it has changed much, but I doubt photo's would be approved of.
Photos wouldn't be allowed.. that would be a security issue for sure.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 17:45   #43
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
....he knows his stuff.

I didn't realise that Langley was that Langley, isn't Slough still a analogue area?
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2010, 17:54   #44
The-Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I didn't realise that Langley was that Langley, isn't Slough still a analogue area?
ntl built their DMC in Langley. It was at the time a Telewest area, before the merger. The DMC does not feed any region directly.
Old 24-11-2010, 17:05   #45
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Belfast?
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote