Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Media Access Key

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Media Access Key

Old 11-09-2012, 13:09   #46
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Media Access Key

Forgot to add
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeleybobs View Post
No, sorry got to disagree, there is more to TiVo than a thumbs up button. Please do take time to educate yourself first. There is no such thing as "TiVo US", TiVo is a technology that, and I quote, "brings the best entertainment from cable and the web together in one place, with one remote and one simple search across everything" and with that there should be no limitations whether it be software or hardware. I do understand that Virgin contract Cisco and more recently Samsung to manufacture and provide the hardware.
If it was just the US TiVo software, then there would be no On Demand content, nor would there be any Sky Movies channels due to lack of PIN protection, nor would the TiVo have a dedicated 10Mbit broadband connection - all features which were VM specific customisations of the TiVo experience.

Then there is the HD EPG and mini guide - both of which were developed for Virgin Media:TiVo and then backported into the US TiVo software
Old 11-09-2012, 13:13   #47
heeleybobs
Inactive

heeleybobs can only hope to improve

Quote:
Because that is not the way Virgin Media operate.

If you want to buy your own box, there are plenty of alternatives such as Freesat from Sky, Freesat, Freeview and YouView
Please, these services can't possibly put along side each other as they are inferior by comparison and so cannot be considered alternatives.

Quote:
BT also don't allow you to hook up your own TV hardware, or have access to potential features not part of the official service
Please read what you quoted me saying here. I didn't say BT did allow adding own hardware. But I do believe that where new competition comes then the hardware battle will step up a gear and service activation will for sure.

Quote:
Considering Virgin Media deployed a D3 overlay network several years ago, which required brand new CTMS hardware everywhere, then that is completely wrong.
Are you saying that a 20Mb downlink wasn't available without this when the maximum service offered was a 1Mb downlink service? and what's the deal with restricting uplink speeds even to this day. You make a poor argument with this comment.
heeleybobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:14   #48
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

VM TiVo IS a different product to the US TiVo and is in many respects more advanced. VM have worked closely with TiVo to add many features that weren't and still are part of the US version. IE red button features and the reminder facility for starters.

There was even a few features or fixes added in the US version thanks to VM getting them introduced to their version of the TiVo service.

There seems to be a lot about this partnership as it were you do not understand. Things like On Demand, Live Channels and streaming all have their own rights and need to be contracted with their own set of T&Cs, this is where things get very complicated. For example last time that ITV/STV showed the Star Wars films, they were not broadcast over ITV +1 which again comes down to the way that ITV would have agreed contract rights to show the movies, and why many programmes don't appear on iPlayer and 4OD.

TV services and broadcast contracts are very complicated and why streaming of recordings/Live channels will probably be taking a lot longer to implement.
Old 11-09-2012, 13:16   #49
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Are you saying that a 20Mb downlink wasn't available without this when the maximum service offered was a 1Mb downlink service? and what's the deal with restricting uplink speeds even to this day. You make a poor argument with this comment.
There is a big difference between a DOCSIS standard being able to do 20Mbit, and the capacity being within the network to support it.

The restricted uploads currently available are again down to upgrades required to support the extra capacity needed

And if you don't understand the difference between the two, I suggest you take your own advice and:
Quote:
Please do take time to educate yourself first.
Old 11-09-2012, 13:27   #50
heeleybobs
Inactive

heeleybobs can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Really?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TiVo,_Inc.

My Irony-o-meter just exploded
You take Wikipedia and use it as a source of fact... Yes, please educate yourself. I'm sorry to tell you wikipedia is not the internet oracle you make it out to be.

http://www.tivo.com

A true source of fact, the originators!!!

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The restricted uploads currently available are again down to upgrades required to support the extra capacity needed
No upgrades required though if you pay for the business packages from them, equal upstream and downstream speeds...
heeleybobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:28   #51
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:

So why if there isn't a US TiVo, do they have a NASDAQ stock listing and retail their own hardware via their own site https://www3.tivo.com/store/home.do

Quote:
No upgrades required though if you pay for the business packages from them, equal upstream and downstream speeds...
That uses different technology to the residential services (and the low cost business broadband services)
Old 11-09-2012, 14:07   #52
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
You take Wikipedia and use it as a source of fact...
Not on it's own, but it is, usually, correct.

Quote:
And, from that site.......

http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/aboutushome/index.html
Quote:
Founded in 1997, TiVo, a pioneer in home entertainment, created a brand-new product and service category with the development of the world's first digital video recorder (DVR). Today, the company continues to revolutionize the way consumers watch and access home entertainment, by making the TiVo DVR the focal point of the digital living room: a center for sharing and experiencing television, movies, video downloads, music, photos, and more.
And, oh look.... here's the company on NASDAQ.

So yes, in this instance, that Wiki entry is absolutely correct.

And you, as usual, are absolutely wrong.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:14   #53
robtuk06
Inactive

robtuk06 is an unknown quantity at this point

heeleybobs, have you really registered here just to argue with people who know more than you?
robtuk06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:18   #54
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

I thought schools went back last week?
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote