Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Media Access Key

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Media Access Key

Old 30-07-2011, 03:21   #16
raegos
Inactive

raegos is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Media Access Key

Hi all .

New to this forum, sorry if this has been posted already, but could not find anything.

I am waiting for my Virgin Tivo box to arrive ( new customer to Virgin ) .

I wanted to know if there is a way to extract the video content recorded onto the V-Tivo box onto an external hard drive so I can watch on my media player.

I understand the LAN & USB are disabled so I cannot extract the content off the internal hard drive via the network.

Is there a way or a device I can use to save the recorded content onto an external hard drive even using another device plugged in which will except HDMI input as I want to back up at the highest quality possible and not use DVD or VHS recorders?

Please help? Hope this makes sense!

Kind Regards
raegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2011, 03:25   #17
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age

Unfortunately not at the moment, however I do think there may be plans in the future for multi-platform viewing similar to what is available in the US (Tivo Desktop).

It depends on what plans Virgin have up their sleeves regarding this
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 04:13   #18
raegos
Inactive

I hope they do enable the use of Tivo Destop as Virgin seem to be minimizing the full potential of Tivio!

Is there an alternative way to extract HD & SD content from the internal drive?
Old 30-07-2011, 04:21   #19
jtaylor06
Inactive

Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2 Galaxy S 5 on EE
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze age
jtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze agejtaylor06 has reached the bronze age

Unfortunately not at the moment as certain types of people, you know... the ones that have an eyepatch, wooden leg and sail on the seven seas, will use this to their advantage and share the..ahem.."booty" with others.

Not saying you would do this, but what I said above may be the reason why there is not an option of doing so at the current moment in time - who knows what Virgin may have in store in the future however.

I'm off to bed now otherwise I will not getting up in the morning, my sleep pattern is all over the place
jtaylor06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 04:29   #20
Jameseh

I think the TiVo desktop function was disabled due to content rights from broadcasters not VM disabling a feature.
Old 30-07-2011, 04:35   #21
raegos
Inactive

LOL,

Yes I agree, another reason for me to wish I was living in the US .

I do not understand why they enable recording via scart and not able to back up via HDD,

also the HDMI is HDCP encrypted!

There must be a way around this! I do not want to be restricted to watching the shows i record on my Tivo box as I would like to watch them on my media player upstairs !

Damn why do they make life so difficult !

---------- Post added at 04:35 ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 ----------

again why is recording to DVD enabled?, this is stupid, paying for Tivo and only a third of the features are available! Key features such as Tivo desktop not available in UK , this is false advertising !
Old 30-07-2011, 04:36   #22
Jameseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by raegos View Post
LOL,

Yes I agree, another reason for me to wish I was living in the US .

I do not understand why they enable recording via scart and not able to back up via HDD,

also the HDMI is HDCP encrypted!

There must be a way around this! I do not want to be restricted to watching the shows i record on my Tivo box as I would like to watch them on my media player upstairs !

Damn why do they make life so difficult !
You can backup to HDD via scart with the Emprex device I've already mentioned and HDCP is on nearly every HDMI device in the world.

If you want to watch HD things you've recorded in another room, get another TiVo and wait for TiVo box-to-box streaming.

Quote:
Key features such as Tivo desktop not available in UK , this is false advertising !
Have Virgin Media advertised the feature to you?
Old 30-07-2011, 12:45   #23
raegos
Inactive

No they have not advertised the feature but TIVO have !

whats the point in advertising TIVO, releasing the device with only some of its features!

Its like Nintendo releasing 3DS in the UK then disabling the 3D capability!
Old 30-07-2011, 13:01   #24
robtuk06
Inactive

robtuk06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No they have not advertised the feature but TIVO have !
No they haven't. TiVo have not advertised in the UK for 10 or so years.

Quote:
whats the point in advertising TIVO, releasing the device with only some of its features!

Its like Nintendo releasing 3DS in the UK then disabling the 3D capability!
No, it really isn't. The equivalent to that would be Virgin Media releasing TiVo then disabling being able to record.
robtuk06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 13:07   #25
raegos
Inactive

You get what I mean, Tivo Destop is advertised on there website, its free to download!
Old 30-07-2011, 14:14   #26
Jameseh

Quote:
You get what I mean, Tivo Destop is advertised on there website, its free to download!
On the TiVo website. It is not on the Virgin Media website, ie the company your with.
Old 30-07-2011, 16:06   #27
TheDon
Inactive

TheDon has reached the bronze age
TheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze ageTheDon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor06 View Post
Unfortunately not at the moment as certain types of people, you know... the ones that have an eyepatch, wooden leg and sail on the seven seas, will use this to their advantage and share the..ahem.."booty" with others.
That would be a valid reason if there were currently no ways to already get TV shows onto a PC to share.

That near enough every tv show that airs these days is available within the hour online it makes that reasoning pretty redundant. Not having the option isn't preventing piracy, it's only limiting customers usage.
TheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 16:30   #28
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
That would be a valid reason if there were currently no ways to already get TV shows onto a PC to share.

That near enough every tv show that airs these days is available within the hour online it makes that reasoning pretty redundant. Not having the option isn't preventing piracy, it's only limiting customers usage.
Spot on, I like to watch stuff on the move so the quickest way is to download the said show. DRM only affects people who want to use content legally.

I have the XL pack and it is so annoying not to be able to watch stuff that i recorded on the living room box in the bedroom or an episode of something on my phone.tablet on my lunch break.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 16:46   #29
Jameseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I have the XL pack and it is so annoying not to be able to watch stuff that i recorded on the living room box in the bedroom or an episode of something on my phone.tablet on my lunch break.
Use a slingbox.
Old 09-09-2012, 23:53   #30
heeleybobs
Inactive

heeleybobs can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
On the TiVo website. It is not on the Virgin Media website, ie the company your with.
I'm sorry, I disagree with that statement. Virgin Media is the service provider and TiVo is the product. A better way to explain the Nintendo 3DS comment made earlier is like having a phone (the PRODUCT) on the cellular network (the SERVICE PROVIDER) and disabling SMS messages but arguing it's fit for service as you can still make phone calls due to being subscribed to a telecoms provider. (You may not be aware that a similar thing happened back around 2005 with mobile PTT services which were activated in the US but not in the UK.)

It IS false advertising as TiVo capabilities are well known to the people this technology appeals to. Why promote that you have an advanced product for your service and disable the most useful and market leading features on said product. It's clearly a ploy for allowing for future enhanced features to turn on and ensure that in the general publics view you are getting extra services to justify a higher subscription rate.

May I remind you that Virgin Media have done this before (started back in Telewest/NTL days) when broadband internet speeds were started as a maximum of 1Mbps when the fibre optic network is capable of (and has been without any modifications whatsoever for many years) more than 100 times this speed with very little cost to the service provider. I've had countless offers from the cable provider at the time that say something along the lines of "Great news! We are giving you a new enhanced [insert [Edited] here] at no additional cost” when it’s cost them nothing to give it to you anyhow, in an effort to remain competitive. It is business basics to charge as much as possible for giving as little as possible in order to maximise profits, but I do ask not to be insulted by being told I'm getting some sort of enhanced service when none of the technology has been improved to provide it and it's just literally being switched on.

I'm not saying that the Virgin cable service is a bad service, or that Virgin Media are unique for doing this, but it is purely an attempt at protecting future profits and is nothing short of "marketing fluff" when the currently disabled features of TiVo are eventually activated and people who don't know better will be fooled into a false belief that they are receiving new and exciting features.

Or if you prefer in short, welcome to rip off UK yet again...

If anyone believes that this sort of behaviour from a trusted brand, be it Virgin or anyone else is acceptable, then there is something wrong with you.
heeleybobs is offline   Reply With Quote