Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | address from a phone number

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

address from a phone number

Old 23-08-2010, 22:44   #16
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: address from a phone number

Quote:
Originally Posted by toojohnny View Post

Buying numberplates off one Goverment department (clearly sold as words which you need to mis-space to achieve)

And then getting pinched by another goverment dept - ie the Police.
You'd be wrong there - as someone who once worked in that 'government department' who sold personalised registration marks, I can tell you we were not permitted to sell them if you gave us any inclination that you were going to misrepresent your registration. If someone called up and said "I want to make a registration look like my name" we were to give them one chance to say they weren't going to do it or we'd have to end the call. Anything else and we could be prosecuted for assisting an offender. Sounds stupid I know but that's the government for you.

Oh and by the way there is no way to get someone's details from their number. The DPA is there for a reason.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-08-2010, 22:56   #17
toojohnny
Permanently Banned

toojohnny can only hope to improve

Thanks Russ, you've just confirmed how certain people can get away with certain things..

So the DVLA have never sold a plate on the suggestion it spells a name, or a word? They may not actually say it, but to pretend thats not what their doing - would be absolutely hilarious - if it wasn't so wrong.

And having to 'end the call' if there was any suggestion of mis-spacing is commonly known in the trade as 'covering your a$$'

I think you'll find.

I mean how come MR51 NGH sold for £500k? (by DVLA)

It doesn't actually spell anything does it?

Oh, unless you mis-space it....

Case closed.
toojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 23:08   #18
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by toojohnny View Post
Thanks Russ, you've just confirmed how certain people can get away with certain things..

So the DVLA have never sold a plate on the suggestion it spells a name, or a word? They may not actually say it, but to pretend thats not what their doing - would absolutely hilarious - if it wasn't so wrong.

And having to 'end the call' if there was any suggestion of mis-spacing is commonly know in the trade as 'covering your a$$'

I think you'll find.

I mean how come MR51 NGH sold for £500k? (by DVLA)

It doesn't actually spell anything does it?

Oh, unless you mis-space it....

Case closed.
OK you've clearly made up your mind with nothing other than anecdotal evidence whereas I have experience in the matter.

Firstly the department who sell registration marks over the phone are not the people who were involved in the auction of MR51 NGH. There is a £5000 price limit on the phone sales. When you call them up there is a verbal contract which is recorded. Part of that contract says you will not misrepresent your registration. Just because someone buys J1 MMY doesn't mean they are going to alter the spacing.

If any DVLA staff member sold a registration on the suggestion it be used illegally they would be subject to instant dismissal. Every call is recorded and monitored.

This of course is going way off topic so if you have any further questions about it, feel free to PM me.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 23:16   #19
toojohnny
Permanently Banned

toojohnny can only hope to improve

Hi Russ,

I don't really have much more to say about it. I would never imagine the govt - or any of it's related depts ever to do anything wrong.

Like where they want to nab back your own number plates from you, if your car doesn't have an MOT, because you don't actually 'own' the plate, you just have the rights to it. Funny how they make it sound as though you are buying the plates thought doesn't it. And besides, if they can pinch the plates back from you, the un-related auction arm can sell them off!

But of course, I don't know much about any of it.

I guess I imagined the £93 million claimed by the 600-odd mp's as well.

But you are right on 1 thing - this is way off subject, and I think that's dead in the water.
toojohnny is offline   Reply With Quote