Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My remote just stopped working - common issue?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Can i move my box between rooms?

Old 03-10-2008, 14:24   #1
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all
Can i move my box between rooms?

I posted this at another forum but with over 80 views, no one replied. I'm hoping to get better luck here

Hi all,
Scuse the slightly misleading title.

Years ago with ntl analogue i had a box in the living room and a box in one bedroom.
I went digital with one box in the living room.

I upgraded to V+ last year and moved the standard box, with a new cable fitted, into my bedroom.

I had to get the standard box changed today and the mrs asked the engineer to check the old cable that was put into the other bedroom years ago as it didn't work. He checked it and said it's probably disconnected at the box on the wall outside.

When i came in from work the VOD wasn't working.
After being on the phone for 25 mins the VOD eventually got sorted, the Indian guy asked if there was anything else.

I'd already checked the old cable at the box and when the engineer ran the new cable to my bedroom all he did was snip the plug off the old cable, so it's useless.

The Indian guy said i couldn't have a cable in another room and move the box around?? He said it's 1 box per tv?

I think he's wrong and also VM should come out and connect the cable the engineer snipped off so i can move the box into the other room when i want.

Who is right? Is there a 3 way splitter box available? He cut the old one so he could use the 2 way splitter for the cable into my bedroom.

Sorry this is a bit long winded but i wanted you to have the full story.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2008, 14:49   #2
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Can i move my box between rooms?

F plugs are not made to be pulled in/out constantly. By moving the box that's exactly what you'll be doing and over time the plugs will fail possibly shorting out the receiver.

As such I doubt if VM would condone or support the moving of thier boxes on a constant basis like this..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 14:58   #3
johnathome
cf.geek

johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

i guess the F plug is the main cable input? It would only be moved 1 or 2 times a week.
I guess the main question was should VM fix the cable that there engineer cut?
Old 03-10-2008, 17:12   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

You mean the cable that VM originally installed and due to the terms and conditions is still thier cable????
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:25   #5
johnathome
cf.geek

Yes thats the one, the cable i paid NTL to install.

Although i think by your answer you seem to think they are quite in their rights to cut it.

The Indian guy at the call centre said i could connect it back up myself, it's easy he said, although thats probably not VM policy.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:34   #6
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Yes thats the one, the cable i paid NTL to install.

Although i think by your answer you seem to think they are quite in their rights to cut it.

The Indian guy at the call centre said i could connect it back up myself, it's easy he said, although thats probably not VM policy.
he is dead right,policy has always been 1 tv 1 set top.further,VM's network suffers terribly from noise ingress which affects rtn path for B.B. users this can spoil their connection,the biggest culprit for this noise ingress is unterminated cables with no equipment on the end of it.
it is possible to move your box about with a couple of provisos,when the cable is not in use it should have a 75ohm terminator on the end to avoid noise ingress,2nd,the tech would need to meter both cables so as to set correct signal levels at each point to avoid loss of rtn path and freezing pics.
a 3way splitter has twice the loss through its output ports as a 2way does so compensation would be required from the street cabinet
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 13:15   #7
johnathome
cf.geek

Thanks for the detailed answer

The daughter would have to pay for a box herself if she wanted one in her room.

It was much more understandable when you explained it like that
Old 04-10-2008, 13:19   #8
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Thanks for the detailed answer

The daughter would have to pay for a box herself if she wanted one in her room.

It was much more understandable when you explained it like that
no worries john,a pleasure
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote