Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | My remote just stopped working - common issue?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New Cable box???

Old 03-10-2008, 12:48   #1
edgedemon
Inactive

edgedemon is an unknown quantity at this point
New Cable box???

I have had an old Pace4000 STB for the last few yrs (5) and want to check with other people on a few things

I am about to take the plunge and buy my first LCD (1080p) and I am worried about my signal quality and what it will look like on my new screen.
Im worried because I have a slightly weird set up - I have a media center PC, it controls all my TV, Music DVD's etc. I connect the signal to it by using scart from the STB to composite (1 video, 2 audio L+R) which goes into the back of my TV card and the PC takes over from there.

I know composite is considered a poor quality signal, are there any other output options on the newer STB's? S-Video would be nice!!

I have heard V+ has hdmi out, but as I have a media center, it is a complete waste of cash, because apart from the recording multiple cable channels, I already have more functionality than V+ provides and I cant remember the last time I wanted to record two cable channels.

What are the options I have to get the best possible quality signal into my PC???

Is it worth getting a new STB
Can I buy a better one and use my card in the PACE with a different box?
edgedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2008, 12:51   #2
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Re: New Cable box???

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgedemon View Post
I have had an old Pace4000 STB for the last few yrs (5) and want to check with other people on a few things

I am about to take the plunge and buy my first LCD (1080p) and I am worried about my signal quality and what it will look like on my new screen.
Im worried because I have a slightly weird set up - I have a media center PC, it controls all my TV, Music DVD's etc. I connect the signal to it by using scart from the STB to composite (1 video, 2 audio L+R) which goes into the back of my TV card and the PC takes over from there.

I know composite is considered a poor quality signal, are there any other output options on the newer STB's? S-Video would be nice!!

I have heard V+ has hdmi out, but as I have a media center, it is a complete waste of cash, because apart from the recording multiple cable channels, I already have more functionality than V+ provides and I cant remember the last time I wanted to record two cable channels.

What are the options I have to get the best possible quality signal into my PC???

Is it worth getting a new STB
Can I buy a better one and use my card in the PACE with a different box?
not sure if the newer v box have it but the v+ does compent basically hd but if you are wanting to watch something in hd that needs hdcp you wont be able to without hdmi
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:53   #3
chickendippers
Inactive

Services: On-cable: TV-L, BB-L, Phone-M. Off-cable: Sky+ HD, Plusnet Unlimited.
chickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of lightchickendippers is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to chickendippers

You can only use VM supplied equipment on the network, any STB you buy yourself will not work (and my well be illegal if someone is selling one of VM's STBs).

As far as I know STBs are only replaced if they are faulty.
chickendippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 13:53   #4
edgedemon
Inactive

edgedemon is an unknown quantity at this point

I will give them a ring and see....
Does anyone have a make/model for the STB's they use now, so I can look up the specs on the internet, Im not talking about any of the V/V+ boxes, just a normal STB

Thanks for the replies
edgedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 14:37   #5
sprattgraham
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media VIP
sprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the roughsprattgraham is a jewel in the rough

The standard STB is a Samsung SMT-2110C but you can just call them and ask for a new one there needs to be something wrong with the old one.

http://www.samsungbusiness.com/samsu...product_key=35
sprattgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 21:22   #6
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

We STILL use Pace STB's aswell as SA's. The Samsungs are brilliant as a standard STB - Like gold dust when stores have them in stock!

Highly recommend V+
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 21:42   #7
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: New Cable box???

We have not seen pace for sometime now only samsung and SA .But they are still out there
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 21:55   #8
JayJay
Inactive

Services: TiVo, V+, XXL BB, XL TV, XL Telco 3x Cisco HD
JayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to beholdJayJay is a splendid one to behold

Oh yeah they are out there, in the bloody south west! haha
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote