Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Kellogs to takeover Pringles from Procter&Gamble

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Trees And Patios

Old 13-03-2012, 13:36   #1
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf
Red face Trees And Patios

My 2 Fruit Tree's Arrived Today. An Apple & Pear Tree. 7ft Tall

I want to plant these in my border, but i'm worried if the roots will push up the patio.

Would this be the case if I did plant them near the patio?

I have every intention of not letting them grow above 9-10ft, But I'm still wondering about the patio.

Ive attached an image of the patio and border.

[IMG][/IMG]
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2012, 13:47   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
re: Trees And Patios

Over time the trees will mature, even if their barnch size is controlled the roots will expand as the tree grows. Inevitably that will cause the roots to swell and that risks damaging any lightweght objects such as paving, fence posts, etc that are in the vicinity.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 13:48   #3
Barewolf
Inactive

Services: Talk Talk 1.5mb wishing it was Virgin 20mb
Barewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful oneBarewolf is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Barewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Over time the trees will mature, even if their barnch size is controlled the roots will expand as the tree grows. Inevitably that will cause the roots to swell and that risks damaging any lightweght objects such as paving, fence posts, etc that are in the vicinity.

What about growing them in large pots? Would I still get a Good Supply of fruit?
Barewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 14:57   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

There are many mini trees that love pots, but watering will become a chore (I speak from experience). They crop as well as many dwarf trees. Big heavy pots are best to stop them toppling. Or you can make planters with marine ply or pressure-treated gravel boards that will last for years. Don't try internally waterproofing with bitumen as this kills plants! I fibreglassed the interior of some of my large planters.

For example

http://www.jparkers.co.uk/plant-0001...e-golden-spur/

Trees will also suck the moisture out of the soil for metres all round, and can cause subsidence, not only of the patio, but of houses nearby! And your neighbours might get miffed about overhanging branches. They have the right to cut them to the boundary line.

If you grow in planters, pots, remember NOT to sit the pot directly onto the ground, but raised on feet or bricks. This will stop little roots getting out and becoming big underground roots!!

Think "Bonsai"
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 14:58   #5
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barewolf View Post
What about growing them in large pots? Would I still get a Good Supply of fruit?
Google says that only certain rootstocks are suitable for pot growing. That makes sense to me as the apple tree in my old house was about 2' wide at the base of the trunk. That would have needed a helluva pot !!

Also, you have to water them faithfully as they can't collect the water they need from the ground.

Oops, Taf got there first.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote