Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 16-10-2017, 23:57   #3286
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaveRa View Post
I've got the audio sync issue. The audio is behind the video everso slightly. Reboots fix it, but it comes back bit by bit, and gets progressively worse. It does seems to waiver in and out of sync over time. I tried various different options for video modes and audio settings, but nothing makes a difference.

I did have a call with Virgin for an engineer to come look at it but it got cancelled as it coincided with a region fault (fibre got cut) and they cancelled the call when that was resolved. Reminds me I need to re-log the issue.
Are you wanting your box swapped out?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2017, 20:17   #3287
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I have just noticed on two of my V6 boxes two red lights, one is a WiFi signal and the other are like two little arrows pointing in opposite directions, anyone know what this is? There was only ever the white light which is to the top right hand side of the V6 as you look at it.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 20:20   #3288
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

That means your V6 has lost its connection to your home network.
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 20:28   #3289
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
That means your V6 has lost its connection to your home network.
That just confirms to me what I posted in the internet forum mate, that the hub 3 is rubbish for WiFi.
Old 01-11-2017, 21:06   #3290
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
That just confirms to me what I posted in the internet forum mate, that the hub 3 is rubbish for WiFi.
If you haven't done so already, I would suggest altering the Hub 3.0 settings so the two wifi bands are separated and then ensuring you connect to the stronger band, usually the 2.4GHz one.
Old 01-11-2017, 21:24   #3291
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
If you haven't done so already, I would suggest altering the Hub 3.0 settings so the two wifi bands are separated and then ensuring you connect to the stronger band, usually the 2.4GHz one.
I phoned last week and got put through to someone abroad in technical dept, lol, anyway he said that he could see that the two available bands hadn't been separated, so he did some adjustments and asked me to select the strongest one which is obviously the 5 GHz signal, it worked ok but was still quite unstable, so I've had everything on the 5Ghz since then, so are you saying that the 2.4GHz is the one to use? I understand that the 2.4GHz can transmit further than the 5GHz signal, but one of my V6 boxes is in the same room as the Hub 3 and only approx. 10 feet away, so surely it should work better than it does!
Old 01-11-2017, 23:12   #3292
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

Go to the Network Status page on the V6 and see what the Signal strength is in % and what the Connection Speed is.
Old 01-11-2017, 23:47   #3293
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I phoned last week and got put through to someone abroad in technical dept, lol, anyway he said that he could see that the two available bands hadn't been separated, so he did some adjustments and asked me to select the strongest one which is obviously the 5 GHz signal, it worked ok but was still quite unstable, so I've had everything on the 5Ghz since then, so are you saying that the 2.4GHz is the one to use? I understand that the 2.4GHz can transmit further than the 5GHz signal, but one of my V6 boxes is in the same room as the Hub 3 and only approx. 10 feet away, so surely it should work better than it does!
My two boxes didn't work properly on 2.4 Ghz, but on 5 Ghz they work fine.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 00:32   #3294
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Go to the Network Status page on the V6 and see what the Signal strength is in % and what the Connection Speed is.

I'm in the Hub 3 settings but cant seem to find any % of the strength of the WiFi signal.

---------- Post added at 23:19 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

WiFi signal strength of iPhone is -60dBm.
WiFi signal strength of-iPad is -95dBm.
WiFi signal strength of iPhone is -86dBm.
WiFi signal strength of -iPhone is -85dBm.
WiFi signal strength of -iPad is -82dBm.
Wireless primary network is Enabled on 2.4GHz.
Wireless primary network is Enabled on 5GHz.
Internet connection is good.

To me those figures for WiFi are very poor!

---------- Post added at 23:32 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

And this is the settings in the advanced page of the WiFi....

Wireless frequency 2.4GHz

Enable 2.4 GHz

Disable 2.4 GHz
Wireless mode
802.11b/g/n mixed
Channel

Manual

Auto

Channel 11
Channel width
20 MHz
Wireless frequency 5GHz

Enable 5 GHz

Disable 5 GHz

Wireless mode
802.11a/n/ac mixed
Channel

Manual

Auto

Channel 40
Channel width
20/40 MHz
Old 02-11-2017, 11:32   #3295
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

Sorry, I was looking for the Network Status on the V6, not the Hub 3.0.

On V6, go to:

Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > View Network Status
Old 02-11-2017, 11:53   #3296
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

I have split mine out and anything I connect to always is stronger on the 2.4G than than the 5.0G.
I believe it is faster on 5 but just does not travel as far so if you have devices that are usually near I tend to use them on the 5G and others further or more roaming on the 2.4
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 14:23   #3297
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Sorry, I was looking for the Network Status on the V6, not the Hub 3.0.

On V6, go to:

Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network > View Network Status

Sorry Rob, I misread what you had asked for, I have changed the settings to the 2.4GHz setting and I am now getting an excellent signal strength of 100%!
So can you tell me why the 5GHz doesn't seem to perform as well as the 2.4GHz? Even though, as I said previously, that my Hub 3 is only approx 12 feet from the V6.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-11-2017, 15:39   #3298
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

It's not just the distance that's important but what's in the way.
The 2.4GHz band has a greater reach because it is less diminished by certain materials.
Personally my Hub 3.0 is around 20' away but only a ceiling intervenes.
My V6 is connected to the 5GHz band with 95-100% signal strength and a connection speed of 866Mbps.
Old 02-11-2017, 16:22   #3299
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
It's not just the distance that's important but what's in the way.
The 2.4GHz band has a greater reach because it is less diminished by certain materials.
Personally my Hub 3.0 is around 20' away but only a ceiling intervenes.
My V6 is connected to the 5GHz band with 95-100% signal strength and a connection speed of 866Mbps.
That's interesting. So there is not just one straight forward rule on which band to use when setting up the Tivo.

I think that this should be made clear in the instructions for setting up V6 boxes, and when technicians do the installation, they should check that everything is working satisfactorily before they leave. In particular, they should check that you can actually watch programmes on your first box from your second box, and vice versa.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 16:29   #3300
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

I agree with all you say but no-ones' wifi environment is static so what works today may not work tomorrow.
It just takes one of your neighbours to change the wifi channel they are using to adversely affect your wifi environment.
I live in a detached house but can see 8 of my neighbours wifi signals.
The effect actually gets worse the stronger suppliers wifi equipment gets.