Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Gift to VM employees/agency workers.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Gift to VM employees/agency workers.
Closed Thread

Old 25-01-2012, 07:46   #31
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Re: Gift to VM employees/agency workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Coulter View Post
Why were people offended at being offered a Christmas gift and why did that make you feel happy?
You seem to have an unhealthy attraction towards we VM employees, May i ask why you only ask us questions about our employment, our employer and our work conditions and not those of other members of this forum ?????.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2012, 10:38   #32
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I am a great believer that if you work all year for the company, and many people work through the tea breaks and lunch break to help the company flourish, at least they could do was offer something a bit better, such as a party on the firm.
Arthur, you don't know the last thing about Virgin Media.

All VM employees receive £25 per head to go towards a Christmas party.

There are that many employees in so many different teams and locations that company organised parties are just not feasible.

Therefore it is left to the individual teams to arrange their own parties.

Some teams also get costs of their parties supplemented/sponsored by suppliers that they deal with.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:10   #33
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Arthur, you don't know the last thing about Virgin Media.

All VM employees receive £25 per head to go towards a Christmas party.

There are that many employees in so many different teams and locations that company organised parties are just not feasible.

Therefore it is left to the individual teams to arrange their own parties.

Some teams also get costs of their parties supplemented/sponsored by suppliers that they deal with.
Liverpool had a company organised party at a local hotel they do no t do individual team parties.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:17   #34
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Liverpool had a company organised party at a local hotel they do no t do individual team parties.
Well that's what your team/division decided to do. That's not representative of the rest of the company.
Old 25-01-2012, 11:34   #35
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
To be totally honest, If Richard Branson had given me the book for Xmas, l would have sent it back and told him to stick it up his rear, its an insult, especially with the money he has.

I always remember when l worked for a company called Cleanmaster, many years ago, we were given a £5.00 voucher to take the wife out for a Xmas meal, l sent it back to there head office and told them, if they are that skint they could have it back.

I am a great believer that if you work all year for the company, and many people work through the tea breaks and lunch break to help the company flourish, at least they could do was offer something a bit better, such as a party on the firm.
I don't believe it was up to RB..It was VM who are independent of RB's handling who gave the book as a gift..
Old 25-01-2012, 17:48   #36
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Well that's what your team/division decided to do. That's not representative of the rest of the company.
Nothing to do with team or division rather what Adecco decided was best, if we were offered money then I expect the would have been many different parties.
Old 25-01-2012, 22:57   #37
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

I'm talking about directly employed VM personnel , not outsourced or 3rd party associates
Old 25-01-2012, 23:06   #38
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
I'm talking about directly employed VM personnel , not outsourced or 3rd party associates
I knew what you meant but your original post may have given the impression that we may have got that as well considering the post you replied to and general content on this thread, thank you for clarifying that for everyone.
Old 25-01-2012, 23:15   #39
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Last place i worked at the worker bee got sod all as Xmas bonus but the managers got close to 15% what does that tell you about that company but then at a different company i got a 10% and the company made their own monopoly set (any monopoly lovers amongst us that fancy a very limited edition drop me a pm )

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------

Oh another company i worked as a temp for in Holland gave its staff a Xmas hamper including temps which was a nice unexpected shock.
Old 21-02-2012, 20:47   #40
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

So, did the Albert Dock staff receive £25 towards a Christmas party as well as the book?

I still think that it's rather ungracious to refuse a gift that has been offered, a bit like handing someone a Christmas present straight back and saying that you don't want/like it! I suppose we all have different values and, it's a possibility, that the book was sent to Albert Dock to encourage people to start their own business after redundancy.

Of those that took offence to the book, what would you say was the main reason?

From the information I have gathered, the gift seems to be viewed as either:

- Insensitive and/or inappropriate. A bit like the bank repossessing ones house and then sending a Christmas card to say "all the best for 2012"!

OR

- An ego trip by Sir Branston, ie the assumption that staff want to read all about him.

From what I know about him, I doubt the second reason was anything intentional and he probably knows nothing about this.

Have I summed up the reasons accurately?

Are there any other issues regarding this that offended people that I have overlooked?
Old 21-02-2012, 20:56   #41
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

If someone has just been made redundant, one can understand peope not wanting a free book about the public face of the company that has just made you redundant.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-02-2012, 22:11   #42
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
So, did the Albert Dock staff receive £25 towards a Christmas party as well as the book?
No we did not get £25 each from the company only actual Virgin Media staff received that as per Pierre's post.

Quote:
I still think that it's rather ungracious to refuse a gift that has been offered, a bit like handing someone a Christmas present straight back and saying that you don't want/like it! I suppose we all have different values and, it's a possibility, that the book was sent to Albert Dock to encourage people to start their own business after redundancy.
If you are being made redundant the last thing you want is a book from Richard Branson stating how good he is and its pretty obvious why most books where left in their boxes or put in the recycling bins and the word "Insensitive" springs to mind and that is the least offensive word that could be posted about that little ego trip.

Quote:
Sir Branston
His name is Branson as he does not also have a sauce named after him.
Old 21-02-2012, 22:16   #43
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:

I still think that it's rather ungracious to refuse a gift that has been offered, a bit like handing someone a Christmas present straight back and saying that you don't want/like it!
Ungracious? Had it been myself I most probably would have taken my copy in to a toilet cubicle, used it instead of the Andrex and handed it straight back.

I bet a fair few people have neither the time, money or inclination to start a business and to suggest his book be the catalyst for soon-to-be-former VM people to go it alone is pure fantasy.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 21-02-2012, 22:59   #44
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
No we did not get £25 each from the company only actual Virgin Media staff received that as per Pierre's post.

If you are being made redundant the last thing you want is a book from Richard Branson stating how good he is and its pretty obvious why most books where left in their boxes or put in the recycling bins and the word "Insensitive" springs to mind and that is the least offensive word that could be posted about that little ego trip.

His name is Branson as he does not also have a sauce named after him.
Well spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Ungracious? Had it been myself I most probably would have taken my copy in to a toilet cubicle, used it instead of the Andrex and handed it straight back.

I bet a fair few people have neither the time, money or inclination to start a business and to suggest his book be the catalyst for soon-to-be-former VM people to go it alone is pure fantasy.
Welcome back Russ, I was getting a bit worried as I hadn't seen you post on the forum for a while

A more mature and constructive thing to do would be to take the book home and read it, Who knows, it might have been a source of inspiration to some staff to go it alone.

Most large businesses started small with little money eg Marks & Spencers started trading from a barrow!

If people have become unemployed, they would have the time, but I do accept that money may be a problem with some people and self employment is not right for everybody.
Old 21-02-2012, 23:06   #45
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:

A constructive thing to do would be to take the book home and read it, Who knows, it might have been a source of inspiration to some staff to go it alone.
Not really especially as only 10 weeks earlier we had been told that we were to lose our jobs and considering the amount of publicity he does for the company it was a step to far and it felt like you were getting your nose rubbed in it.

Someone somewhere thought that this was a bright idea and never stopped to think that maybe it is not a great idea to actually send these books to Liverpool.

I would have preferred a doughnut or a packet of crisps in preference to this book and I expect the majority would have thought likewise.
Closed Thread