Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 13:59   #6091
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I guess the features will vary from person to person, but for me one of the great features will be whishlists.

I watch a lot of US programmes. When the new TV shows are announced at the Upfronts around May time, there are normally several new shows that look interesting. As it stands now, bearing in mind these shows don't start until September/October (in the US; who knows when in the UK?), it's a case of trying to find out if they've even been picked up by a UK channel, let alone which one and when they start. With wishlists, you let Tivo do all that monitoring for you; add the show as a whishlist item and it will pick it up and record it if and when a UK channel show it.

It's the same with actors, directors etc.; just add them to a whishlist and Tivo will record programmes with them in.

Tivo will also make suggestions as to shows that might appeal to you. I believe Sky does that but you need to buy an ipad to get that now (I read somewhere that Sky may be bringing that functionality into the EPG later this year?)

I also like season and episode information, actors, directors, producers etc. all will be available on my Tivo screen rather than having to switch the PC on to check digiguide and visit Epguides.com and IMDB

Then there are apps; VM are talking about far more apps than you get on your current connected TVs/BR players. Cindy Rose said there would be hundreds in a years time.
Can I also add the 24/7 buffering of up to an hour on all 3 tuners as quite a good feature too
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2011, 14:01   #6092
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Can I also add the 24/7 buffering of up to an hour on all 3 tuners as quite a good feature too
I'll add the iPlayer App to the mix.
Old 04-04-2011, 14:09   #6093
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Seems a strange comparison to make free TV with a pay TV platform , considering most set ship with freeview installed. A question what are these killer features , I will give you being able to record 3 programmes is superior to Sky but what others. It seems clear to me in the US that TIVO is just for the enthusiasts and not mass market , which was proven last quarter when over 200,000 subscribers left.
Tivo in the US and through VM are different products. Tivo on UK cable is part of an STB service that VM are providing. VM actually plan to add a lot of apps and features that have nothing to do with Tivo to the STB that they are marketing as Tivo.

It is no doubt a product for the enthusiast and is a premium product which is what VM market and price it as. It will only become mainstream cable when VM decide they want that to happen.
Old 04-04-2011, 14:09   #6094
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
I'll add the iPlayer App to the mix.
Will you trade for full sky sports red button LOL
Old 04-04-2011, 14:09   #6095
Perfect Choice
cf.geek

Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold

3 tuners is the killer app for me, I could not survive in our house without multiple recording capability at the same time (e.g. kids watch same recording several times and like to keep them for months after original recording, so even if it is on VOD/catch-up, still need it after long gone from VOD say). What Tivo does on top is excellent and wishlists is certainly a feature I am looking for.
Old 04-04-2011, 14:18   #6096
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

the 10MB BB dedicated connection another killer feature
Old 04-04-2011, 14:22   #6097
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I guess the features will vary from person to person, but for me one of the great features will be whishlists.

I watch a lot of US programmes. When the new TV shows are announced at the Upfronts around May time, there are normally several new shows that look interesting. As it stands now, bearing in mind these shows don't start until September/October (in the US; who knows when in the UK?), it's a case of trying to find out if they've even been picked up by a UK channel, let alone which one and when they start. With wishlists, you let Tivo do all that monitoring for you; add the show as a whishlist item and it will pick it up and record it if and when a UK channel show it.

It's the same with actors, directors etc.; just add them to a whishlist and Tivo will record programmes with them in.

Tivo will also make suggestions as to shows that might appeal to you. I believe Sky does that but you need to buy an ipad to get that now (I read somewhere that Sky may be bringing that functionality into the EPG later this year?)

I also like season and episode information, actors, directors, producers etc. all will be available on my Tivo screen rather than having to switch the PC on to check digiguide and visit Epguides.com and IMDB

Then there are apps; VM are talking about far more apps than you get on your current connected TVs/BR players. Cindy Rose said there would be hundreds in a years time.
Yeah that proper does your head in with US shows and wishlists should sort that for you , I find Skys remind me green button service and Online service Never Miss useful for this.

Yeah not 100% on suggestions its coming just not sure how
http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/News/Most...tform-AdSmart/

Still not won over with TV apps as these are available on TVs and blue-ray players granted not all ,we'll see here.
Old 04-04-2011, 14:34   #6098
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I find Skys remind me green button service and Online service Never Miss useful for this..
Can you add show titles to Sky's remind me that Sky have never heard of though, which is the case with the new US shows announced at the Upfronts? Or is it just shows that have already been shown or announced to air on UK TV channels?

How much functionality is there with the Sky system?
Old 04-04-2011, 14:36   #6099
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Seems a strange comparison to make free TV with a pay TV platform , considering most set ship with freeview installed. A question what are these killer features , I will give you being able to record 3 programmes is superior to Sky but what others. It seems clear to me in the US that TIVO is just for the enthusiasts and not mass market , which was proven last quarter when over 200,000 subscribers left.
Not really, Sky have apparently already identified Freeview as a competitor. Remember, when they want new subscribers, they haven't only got to try and convert any Cable TV viewers. They also have to try and persuade those who wouldn't normally pay the subscription (ie Freeview viewers).

Freeview is very much a competitor to both Sky and Virgin, especially when people's jobs are under threat.
Old 04-04-2011, 14:38   #6100
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
I suppose all Sky+HD 1TB offers over a standard box is extra storage, so take up over a "free" box would be lower.

More HD is certainly something VM are adding this year, I can't go in to specifics at this time due to confidentiality. VM did however provide this announcement in their price rise email

April is the normal price rise time for VM, they added a lot of content over the last 12 months, especially HD channels.

You can't really expect channels to be instantly added on the 1st of April... they are coming though.
Fair enough, let's all wait and see. Even though I don't have my main channels with VM now it's well in my interest for them to add more as all it would take for me to return to VM is a phonecall in a year's time.

You could be right about Sky's box, I still couldn't find the article but i'm sure he compared it to some other consumer hardware that is limited in reach but a necessary part of their offer. I accept that functionally (but not technically, not at all and not just the HDD) it is the same as the standard box I just cannot help but suspect 1TB is overkill. No bias there, I think both boxes are too big for an average punter like me. It goes back to something I have said many times, how many 1TB boxes do you see on the highstreet. And in VM's case they have that much streamed catch up and OD content do the masses really need it?

But I am on record as saying that when VM get that cheaper box out and widen it's availability I think they could have a pretty successful product on their hands.

But I suspect not at the current price though and only being available to XL customers even though I think the hardware cost is more than reasonable. The poll results are interesting particualrly when the respondents are members of a forum like this and have gone out of their way to register for the service. But maybe the figures are in line with VM's expectations though or even better, you will know better than me.

Time will tell.
Old 04-04-2011, 14:38   #6101
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Can you add show titles to Sky's remind me that Sky have never heard of though, which is the case with the new US shows announced at the Upfronts? Or is it just shows that have already been shown or announced to air on UK TV channels?

How much functionality is there with the Sky system?
The green remind me button is used when advertising a coming show , the Never Miss service is online and you can search series and movies , they then email you the week before with a link to set a remote record up. It's quite extensive a list with stuff way off.
Old 04-04-2011, 14:45   #6102
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Closing thread due to the size. Please continue to discuss all things TiVo in the new Part 2 thread located here

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...-part-2-a.html