Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Local elections 2012

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Local elections 2012
View Poll Results: Your voting intentions
Labour 14 26.42%
Conservative 8 15.09%
Liberal Democrat 6 11.32%
Nationalist 1 1.89%
UKIP 10 18.87%
Other 5 9.43%
None of the above! 9 16.98%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2012, 10:54   #31
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Local elections 2012

Well I had to choose which single councillor I wanted to represent my ward. I had three options: Labour, Conservative, or Liberal Democrat. In the last election I voted Liberal Democrat across the board and yesterday I voted Labour. I don't like Labour at the moment, I think Ed Miliband is a terrible leader of the party and I wanted Labour to do poorly at the polls in order for him to be kicked out.

However I also wanted the Liberal Democrats to see their vote collapse, to have a bloodbath and lose councils and councillors across the country. I wanted them to see that they will pay with their party for supporting the conservative policies that their voters were strongly against. I voted Liberal Democrat in 2010 because I was concerned about the gradual erosion of civil liberties under the last government, now the Liberal Democrats will likely support the Conservatives in bringing in a database of all our communications. The very same database they and the Tories claimed to be upset about when Labour tried to do it. Also, What happened to the 'freedom bill', designed to roll back Labour's policies? Meet the new government, same as the old government.

The Liberal Democrats are spineless, gutless, unprincipled cowards* and I hope they lose badly today.

Not that I get angry about these things.....

*and yes I am aware you could make a case that voting for policies that will seriously harm your party isn't cowardly but screw em
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2012, 11:22   #32
slowcoach
Inactive

Services: VM Phone 152 Meg.
slowcoach has reached the bronze age
slowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze ageslowcoach has reached the bronze age

For the first time in my life I didn't vote, my thinking now is that nothing will change until people stop voting then the politicians will have no mandate and will be forced to change the system to a system that is more for the people and less for the benefit of the politicians themselves.
slowcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:36   #33
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Now got two teenage Councillors in Gosport.Turnout as bad as ever.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/loc...ults-1-3806790

Quote:
GOSPORT has elected another teenager after Craig Hazel won a narrow victory.
The 19-year-old, who works part-time in Waitrose in Gosport and recently completed studies at Fareham College, joins Christopher Carter who was elected aged 19 two years ago.
Gosport Borough Council Council now stands at 24 Tories, five Labour and five Lib Dem.
Quote:
Overall the turnout was 29.49 per cent.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:52   #34
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Go Gosport!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:56   #35
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Let's hope they prove the doubters wrong.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 14:16   #36
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

This is what my brother posted on FB
Quote:
Political commentators do talk a load of rubbish at election time. The tragedy is that local elections are so politicised that "party" has become more important than "candidate". I suspect we could substitute party name for candidate name on the ballot papers, it would make no difference to the results. These are not local elections anymore. Political commentators should accept much of the responsibility for this sad change.
Sadly I think this is spot on.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 14:47   #37
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
For the first time in my life I didn't vote, my thinking now is that nothing will change until people stop voting then the politicians will have no mandate and will be forced to change the system to a system that is more for the people and less for the benefit of the politicians themselves.
Nice thinking, let's hope it comes to pass.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 15:49   #38
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

As long as I can remember they were often about parties, sometimes a independent wins on the back of a local campaign based on a big local issue. Sometimes a party candidate can buck the trend of their national party based on their reputation but most of the time voters and commentators focus on the parties.

I literally cannot remember the name of the candidate I voted for. I didn't know their name when I went in, I didn't know it when I came out.
Old 04-05-2012, 16:33   #39
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

A cracking result for the Lib Dems...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-17951118

Quote:
In Edinburgh, where the party may have lost as much as half its vote, the council's Lib Dem leader Jenny Dawe failed to be re-elected.

And, in the capital's Pentland Hills ward, an independent candidate dressed in a penguin suit, named Professor Pongoo, came ahead of the Lib Dems.
I had the choice of a Tory, a lib dem, a couple of Labour clones, some SNP peeps and a bunch of independents. No UKIP up this neck of the woods.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 17:52   #40
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

I don’t have many details about this right now but an extremely trusted source of mine has said there’s a story doing the rounds that one of the regional mayoral candidates stopped for a photo opportunity where he gave a homeless person £20 but as soon as the press left he and 2 of his heavies went back to him and demanded it back. Apparently this story may well officially break over the weekend.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 17:56   #41
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Mr Cameron and Cleggy got hammered today, the only good thing is that Boris could win London Mayor which is a total waste of time.

It might be local elections, but the people up and down this country are sick and tired of the coalitions promises, and the total let down of what of what he is doing to the country - l firmly believe that there should be a vote of no confidence put into the house of commons, for the way Cameron has run the country.

Cameron will be on his backside.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 17:57   #42
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Rant, grumble, throbbing forehead veins, mutter, ramble, repeat ad nauseum......
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:32   #43
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
l firmly believe that there should be a vote of no confidence put into the house of commons, for the way Cameron has run the country
Errr ok. So in this vote of no confidence who will win? The majority (coalition) or minority (not the coalition) ?

MPs might be lazy, possibly corrupt and self serving but mostly they aren't stupid. The Lib Dems especially won't be turkeys voting for Christmas by calling a mid term general election.

Labour lost over 1000 seats in 1999 during similar elections, remind me how they did at the next general election?
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:11   #44
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Delighted to see the coalition being appropriately punished for their incompetence.

Doubly delighted to see the Liberal Democrats suffer so much. They've shown themselves completely out of their depth in government.

Triply delighted that Boris, socially liberal but in pretty much every other way conservative, so outperformed his party while 'liberal conservative' Dave saw a poor result. My only real regret is that it wasn't much worse for him.

Sadly I doubt much will change though. Dave is too arrogant to take the hint that rather than continuously lurching to the left he should be trying to move the electorate to the centre-right, and Nick will be in full-on panic mode trying to look for something, anything, to throw his supporters.

I think his resignation would be the best idea to be honest.

EDIT: I do love how differently two people see a situation, Arthur likely complains about the impact of the cuts as the source of coalition incompetence, for me it's the lack of cuts in many things, the cutting of the wrong things, and tax rises.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:17   #45
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Delighted to see the coalition being appropriately punished for their incompetence.

Doubly delighted to see the Liberal Democrats suffer so much. They've shown themselves completely out of their depth in government.

Triply delighted that Boris, socially liberal but in pretty much every other way conservative, so outperformed his party while 'liberal conservative' Dave saw a poor result. My only real regret is that it wasn't much worse for him.

Sadly I doubt much will change though. Dave is too arrogant to take the hint that rather than continuously lurching to the left he should be trying to move the electorate to the centre-right, and Nick will be in full-on panic mode trying to look for something, anything, to throw his supporters.

I think his resignation would be the best idea to be honest.

EDIT: I do love how differently two people see a situation, Arthur likely complains about the impact of the cuts as the source of coalition incompetence, for me it's the lack of cuts in many things, the cutting of the wrong things, and tax rises.
Agree with this. They have only looked at costs not the consequences. So have cut where things are very cost effective creating even more cost later.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote