Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Lag Compensation - MW3 PS3/Xbox Gamers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Traffic management

Old 29-04-2012, 16:00   #1
psyfur
Inactive

Services: VM 10Meg + Epic life skillz
psyfur is an unknown quantity at this point
Traffic management

Hey,

I have read the updated STM policy which is fine however in the last few weeks I am hitting the STM even after the times allocated, downloading between 3pm and 4pm and then after 9pm.

Could there be an issue with the detection method on the 30mb line? Also in the Cambridge area the connection in the last month has been really poor with loads of disconnects.
psyfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2012, 16:17   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Traffic management

theres no free period between 3pm and 4pm. management carries over at a different limit
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 16:23   #3
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

There is and always has been an unmeasured period downstream between 3pm and 4pm.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 16:24   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

has it? how come others have said it just carries over onto the next period of management and the gap is an error
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 16:32   #5
psyfur
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
There is and always has been an unmeasured period downstream between 3pm and 4pm.
Agreed, I have always used this period to download however in the last few weeks it has not been unmeasured and I have been capped.
Old 29-04-2012, 16:34   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Roll on Infinity with no hourly, daily, weekly or monthly limits.

In fact, sober and limit free for 12 months and counting.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 16:35   #7
psyfur
Inactive

Not in cambridge mate we dont even get adsl 2 here so VM is by far the best ISP for speed
Old 29-04-2012, 17:22   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Funny that, when I enter my old Cambridge address BT tells me that I can get:

Old 30-04-2012, 20:46   #9
psyfur
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Funny that, when I enter my old Cambridge address BT tells me that I can get:

That's odd as im near the exchange and it tells me up to 5mb and no infinity at all.
Old 30-04-2012, 20:47   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Which exchange? Both Cambridge city centre and Cherry Hinton have Infinity. Others outside the city probably don't.
Old 30-04-2012, 21:07   #11
psyfur
Inactive

Im central CB1 area
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BT.jpg (159.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 30-04-2012, 21:10   #12
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyfur View Post
That's odd as im near the exchange...
It's possible to be too near the exchange with Infinity. Some lines are served direct from the exchange rather than from a street cab and if that's you then Infinity is off the menu. ADSL2+ should be pretty good though.

If you PM me a postcode I can check against a spreadsheet I downloaded which was leaked from BT which may give a clue.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 21:15   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

What's your full postcode? Mine (CB1 8RA) gets ADSL2+ and Infinity, but is on Cherry Hinton.

As kwikbreaks said, exchange-only lines don't get Infinity, but even then both Cambridge exchanges have ADSL2+
Old 30-04-2012, 21:20   #14
psyfur
Inactive

Thanks for the feedback! I'm CB1 3EQ - just did some research and it's not an exchange it is / was a BT research centre or what not.
Old 30-04-2012, 21:27   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Ah shame. Samknows says you're 1.7km from exchange and have both FTTC and ADSL2+ available, though clearly BT thinks not.

Unfortunately only 5% of the lines in your postcode are getting FTTC enabled If you know anyone in CB1 3EB, 3ED, 3EF 3EG 3EP or 3ET willing to share you might have a chance :P

Sorry - sounds like other people have been having issues in and around Cambridge on VM recently too. One hopes they'll fix things (report it on their official forums and they might give you an estimate) but unfortunately my experience in dealing with VM is that the only solution is to leave, and then leave again.