Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Stupid, greedy, moronic.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Stupid, greedy, moronic.

Old 16-04-2012, 08:30   #31
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Stupid, greedy, moronic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Oh dear. More complete nonsense No; you obviously have issues in your area.
All pure speculation, of course.
Some more speculation - those speeds look very much like a 10Mbps connection with both up and down STM applied.

I know my own STM is applied incorrectly - as mentioned elsewhere I can download half the internet before 4pm with no STM measures applied but if I do then just a few MB after 4pm will see me STM'd up and down for 5 hours.

I'd speculate that there are misconfigured STMs on plenty of connections as the number of complaints I've seen recently here is very high indeed.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2012, 08:33   #32
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Some more speculation - those speeds look very much like a 10Mbps connection with both up and down STM applied.
You know, you could be right I think your speculation is closer to the mark than the 'raffle' that the OP suggested

I just realised he even mentioned the STM in his post; though he wrongly calls it a cap.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 09:09   #33
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Nopanic is moaning about his evening STM being applied too soon too. I mentioned the errors with how mine has been set up in that thread but there was no response to the post.

I'm 100% certain that mine is wrong as I've seen the behaviour several times and can monitor usage and speeds reliably using the Tomato firmware in my router. I had put it down to being manually downgraded from 50 to 10 by retentions.
Old 16-04-2012, 16:38   #34
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

I've always wondered how good VM is at switching the STM over to DST (and back again).
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 16:41   #35
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
Nopanic is moaning about his evening STM being applied too soon too.
Fair enough, and I'm sorry they (he/she) is having problems, but hyperbolic (or just 'bolics' ) like "the whole network" doesn't help with the sympathy
Old 16-04-2012, 19:40   #36
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Fair enough, and I'm sorry they (he/she) is having problems, but hyperbolic (or just 'bolics' ) like "the whole network" doesn't help with the sympathy
But I think it more than excusable to sum up the frustration of a second rate service with, in the opinion of some, outlandish statements. To have a problem and then have other people belittle you over your choice of words just goes to show how insensitive and selfish some people are. I bet you're the sort of person who laughs at people who've broken down on the motorway, or finds it amusing when an OAP drops their shopping bags while getting on the bus. One day the boot will be on the other foot and I for one will be there telling you to suck it up.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 22:14   #37
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
But I think it more than excusable to sum up the frustration of a second rate service with, in the opinion of some, outlandish statements.
Oh well. That's your opinion and you're welcome to it

Quote:
To have a problem and then have other people belittle you over your choice of words just goes to show how insensitive and selfish some people are.
Again, your opinion and I would disagree. If the OP had said stated "I have a problem in my area" then I could not have said anything. (I might still have posted in sympathy though!) But to belittle Virgin Media's entire network is simply preposterous.

Quote:
I bet you're the sort of person who laughs at people who've broken down on the motorway, or finds it amusing when an OAP drops their shopping bags while getting on the bus.
Oh please I have shown every sympathy to the OP's problem so your comment is obviously complete nonsense. It might also be considered libellous.

Quote:
One day the boot will be on the other foot and I for one will be there telling you to suck it up.
That will never happen this instance because I would never be as inconsiderate to assume that VM's entire network is broken simply because I am having some problem with my connection
Old 16-04-2012, 22:59   #38
cliffster
Inactive

cliffster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I wasn't doing much more than standard surfing last night at that time, but I certainly didn't have any problems. I'll do some YTing, tonight if you like and report back. However, I don't expect there to be any problems so your statement will clearly be in error.

My point, once again, is that you should not rely on hyperbole and over-generalisation.

I am sorry you are having problems in your area but unless you can prove your statement to be true then you might want to re-think your thread title as it is possibly libellous.
For the pedantic amongst us, here's my edit.

10.30 pm saturday night, everyone is on youtube, lovefilm etc and once again the network in my area.grinds to a stuttering buffering mess. Here's an idea Virgin, before you sign people up in my area , why not make sure that you actually have the capacity in my area to supply demand?
Idiots.

Better?
Hopefully enough to fend off any impending lawsuits.
however I would have thought that anyone with any common sense would have realised that the whole network was just a turn of phrase and that my post related specifically to my area, (Nottingham) as broadband speeds in Liverpool, Newcastle, Norwich etc are of no particular relevance to me.
Perhaps not.

---------- Post added at 22:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

Quote:
You know, you could be right I think your speculation is closer to the mark than the 'raffle' that the OP suggested

I just realised he even mentioned the STM in his post; though he wrongly calls it a cap.
I believe that I am the OP of this thread and I haven't posted anything about a 'raffle'.
I think you will find that was posted by Jacsman.

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Not quite to say the least.

I'm delighted for you.

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

Originally posted by Carlwaring.

Oh please I have shown every sympathy to the OP's problem.

Really? must have missed those posts.

Trumpeting how fantastic a connection you have while I struggle to get a basic service doesn't seem very sympathetic to me.

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems - there does seem to be recurring problems reported by CF'ers in your area.

Was there anything on the status pages?
Thanks for your interest Hugh.
No, no details and the usual excuses from customer services.
Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for Virgin media employees, but I think the problem of oversubscription is one that is only going to get worse and is directly down to the corporate greed of the board.
That is the reason why in two months time when my contract ends I shall happily wave goodbye to this company.
cliffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 23:53   #39
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffster View Post
however I would have thought that anyone with any common sense would have realised that the whole network was just a turn of phrase....
If so it was a pointless and completely incorrect one. I tend to take posts on forums at face value and assume people mean what they type.
Quote:
I believe that I am the OP of this thread and I haven't posted anything about a 'raffle'. I think you will find that was posted by Jacsman.
My apologies for the mis-attribution.
Old 17-04-2012, 00:01   #40
Tazz
cf.member

Services: BT Infinity 2 80/20 Sipgate VOIP
Tazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
If so it was a pointless and completely incorrect one. I tend to take posts on forums at face value and assume people mean what they type.

My apologies for the mis-attribution.

No trawl the forum looking for posts that you can troll on with your VM fanboy postings!!!
Tazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 09:25   #41
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

It's easy to be pleased with the BB if you only have the L product. It has to be really abysmal if they can't deliver 10Mbps and 9/10 when they don't it's P2P shaping or STM both of which are published. If a 10Mbps user is only getting (say) 7Mbps then so will a 20Mbps user so the 20Mbps user is getting creamed while the 10Mbps user has mild degradation of service.

I'm on 10Mbps on DOCSIS3. If I only get 7Mbps then so will the punter on 100Mbps - would I care about only getting 7Mbps - not a lot. Would the 100Mbps user care? You tell me.
Old 17-04-2012, 10:39   #42
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Oh please I have shown every sympathy to the OP's problem so your comment is obviously complete nonsense. It might also be considered libellous.
OK Carl, contact the Cable Forum admins, get my contact details and try your luck in court. Stand up like a real man, stop spouting pretentious rubbish on a forum and test your self righteousness in a real forum before your peers .

Cheers

Grim
Old 17-04-2012, 12:31   #43
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

I am merely pointing out that the things you post on Forum can, potentially, have consequences if you happen to say the wrong thing about the wrong person/company who may well decide to take it further if they decide that what you have posted is libellous.

I personally couldn't give a damn as it's only words on a screen posted by anonymous people who I don't know and who obviously have something against me because I call them on their hyperbole.
Old 17-04-2012, 13:02   #44
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

I saw this thread & the last poster - put 2 & 2 together I wonder what is the correct total ?
Old 17-04-2012, 13:25   #45
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I tend to take posts on forums at face value and assume people mean what they type.
Quote:
Quote:
I am merely pointing out that the things you post on Forum can, potentially, have consequences if you happen to say the wrong thing about the wrong person/company who may well decide to take it further if they decide that what you have posted is libellous.

I personally couldn't give a damn as it's only words on a screen posted by anonymous people who I don't know and who obviously have something against me because I call them on their hyperbole.
Oh how inconsistent you can be . I'm not surprised that you're bravado evaporates when someone calls you on your pompousness.

Cheers

Grim