Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TIVO install 3rd November HELP

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Can V+ box be wall mounted?

Old 29-10-2011, 20:33   #1
ChrisEv
Inactive

Services: Tivo & V+
ChrisEv is an unknown quantity at this point
Can V+ box be wall mounted?

Hi ,

I've now refurbed my kitchen diner and don't want to fit a shelf or use a cabinet for my V+ box, is it possible to wall mount it vertically ?

I was thinking of fitting it with the underside against the wall and display facing down.

The two issues are does it damage the box- i.e will the hard drive be happy on it's side? and I'd need to work out how to fix to the wall in sensible way.

Any tips ? or can anyone confirm if I shouldn't be doing this ?

thanks,

Chris
ChrisEv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-10-2011, 21:12   #2
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack
Re: Can V+ box be wall mounted?

first thing i would imagine it would do is overheat..it has a fan in it that circulates air to stop the internal components from heating up too much.

the air would not circulate properly

just a thought..

edit: you can get wall mount brackets that have duel layer trays.

http://www.prlog.org/11652291-tv-mount-with-shelf.jpg

just another thought..

and another thought if you already have your tv attached to the wall..plasma/lcd ect then you could get :

http://dvdwallmount.net/wp-content/t...tor/Header.jpg

just put the v+ box on it...
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 21:47   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Some things to think about:

The airflow is designed for the box being horizontal, and there is a risk of overheating if vertical.
The hard drives are designed to run flat and the bearings may wear faster.
How it is going to receive commands from the remote?
How are you going to mount it? Whatever you do, don't poke screws or hooks into the holes in the bottom. There is live mains voltage inside, and unlike a PC, the power supply is not enclosed.
Will your mounting still fit if (when!) the box fails and VM swap it for a different model?

Go with dj's shelving suggestions instead.

ps. Welcome to the forum!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 21:50   #4
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Another issue to remember is the effect of energy saving bulbs on your unit..IF you have them.
Old 29-10-2011, 22:04   #5
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Another issue to remember is the effect of energy saving bulbs on your unit..IF you have them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010...s-virgin-media
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 22:45   #6
Jameseh

I've had my V+ on its side for about 6 months and it seems fine so no reason why yours shouldn't be.
Old 29-10-2011, 22:47   #7
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
I've had my V+ on its side for about 6 months and it seems fine so no reason why yours shouldn't be.
Spiderplant knows these boxes inside out as it is his job, so you could be shortening the life of your box.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 21:40   #8
ChrisEv
Inactive

Services: Tivo & V+
ChrisEv is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the tips, I kind of guessed about hard disk bearings but might take a gamble, I'm not too worried about heating as there are loads of ventilation holes around the case- but good point I hadn't considered.

How to mount it in a way that won't cause me grief if it is replaced with another model is a problem to tackle. I have been considering a bit of carpentry in MDF I can paint the same colour as the wall which just supports the sides & bottom corners, but holds it flat against the wall, allowing airflow and visibility for remote control and access to connections at the top.

Thanks for the links for the mounts, I may still consider those, but as I'm fitting it at high level the mount might be a bit unsightly.

Lots of other jobs to do before I tackle this though.

thanks again,

Chris
ChrisEv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 00:20   #9
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

Just a thought will you be able to see it to use the remote if it is on a different angle?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:14   #10
Jameseh

Yeah, it works for me.