Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Have you ever won the hourly prize?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

MS encourages spam ?

Old 06-05-2004, 13:07   #1
kronas
Inactive

kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
MS encourages spam ?

microsoft is to let selected companies send email to its 170m hotmail customers, it would require a 'bond' payment to be made and set guidelines on how much 'advertising can be sent to users.

source: theregister

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05...bonded_sender/

great more spam
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2004, 13:08   #2
Defiant
Permanently Banned

Defiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to allDefiant is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to Defiant Send a message via AIM to Defiant Send a message via MSN to Defiant Send a message via Yahoo to Defiant
Re: MS encourages spam ?

Yea seen that its a bloody joke
Defiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 14:51   #3
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

so can you use the junk and 'report' function on them then?
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 14:53   #4
kronas
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybreath
so can you use the junk and 'report' function on them then?

but its legitimate spam!!
Old 06-05-2004, 15:21   #5
Plonking
Inactive

Services: BT Somethingorother
Plonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Plonking

lol whenever i get emails from the 'hotmail staff' offering me a bigger inbox and stuff like that, i always try and report it as spam anyway but it never seems to work
Plonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 15:45   #6
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plonking
lol whenever i get emails from the 'hotmail staff' offering me a bigger inbox and stuff like that, i always try and report it as spam anyway but it never seems to work
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 18:25   #7
kronas
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plonking
have you had the one where they state are using the butterfly logo on the emails in the inbox so they are authentic ? :pp
Old 06-05-2004, 20:05   #8
Plonking
Inactive

Plonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to beholdPlonking is a splendid one to behold

haha yeah i have one right now actually!

it's entitled 'how to stop pop-ups for free!'.. apparently, according to the header in the email, it's a 'member communication' .. its not spam! (yeah right....)

actually, quite ironically, later in the email, they have a little PR bit for hotmail about how the msn staff are 'committed' (what, are they working from a mental institute? ) to getting rid of... yep, you guessed it, SPAM!

what silly boys and girls they are!
P
Old 07-05-2004, 14:51   #9
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

What about using the 'white list' option that Hotmail provides for Spam filtering. My wife has a Hotmail account that she only uses to contact a few friends, so setting up a list of allowed senders would be no problem. However, am I being unduly cynical in suspecting that MS will probably allow their "legitimate" spammers to override this filter?
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 14:57   #10
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Would anyone care to refute the argument that Hotmail is provided free, so that if MS wish to do something that is not illegal, offensive or unduly annoying then they have every right to do so, and that anyone who does not like it should be prepared to pay for a service that does not do this.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 14:59   #11
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoric
Would anyone care to refute the argument that Hotmail is provided free, so that if MS wish to do something that is not illegal, offensive or unduly annoying then they have every right to do so, and that anyone who does not like it should be prepared to pay for a service that does not do this.
good point... i wonder if the people who have paid for msn's services will get the spam as well?
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 15:25   #12
Plonking
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybreath
good point... i wonder if the people who have paid for msn's services will get the spam as well?
haha isn't that like asking if the pope is catholic?