Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Have you ever won the hourly prize?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Can't access SSl sites

Old 09-05-2004, 00:49   #1
Green Hornet
Inactive

Green Hornet can only hope to improve
Unhappy Can't access SSl sites

the bloke next door from me has asked for help

he can't access sites to buy stuff - SSL sites - Amazon basket and so on

he is on Tiscali adsl
was on freserve
we have checked out the proxy thing
restored internet advanced defaults etc

checked out the firewall situation and security levels
on settings and stuff - disabled popup blockers and the like
alll he gets is page not displayed

it has got me baffled as the bloke is not a muppett
Green Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2004, 00:55   #2
Steve H
Inactive

Services: Freeview, 512k Pipex.
Steve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of Quads
Send a message via ICQ to Steve H Send a message via MSN to Steve H Send a message via Yahoo to Steve H
Re: Can't access SSl sites

Has he checked the advanced settings? See the attached file, make sure all of those are ticked...

Mate had a similar problem though, a few weeks back, and what I've just said didn't solve it... I ended up installing mozzilla for him.

Has he just downloaded a Windows update? SP2? There is something in the Microsoft support about this
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 00:59   #3
Green Hornet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H
Has he checked the advanced settings? See the attached file, make sure all of those are ticked...

Mate had a similar problem though, a few weeks back, and what I've just said didn't solve it... I ended up installing mozzilla for him.

Has he just downloaded a Windows update? SP2? There is something in the Microsoft support about this
that's the wierd thing about it

I asked him to try and do a few workarounds - like using the realplayer browser - and mozilla ( as you say) but he still all got page not displayed

sugggseted he did a symantec virus scan etc - but all was clear
Old 09-05-2004, 01:01   #4
Steve H
Inactive

Services: Freeview, 512k Pipex.
Steve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of QuadsSteve H has a fine set of Quads
Send a message via ICQ to Steve H Send a message via MSN to Steve H Send a message via Yahoo to Steve H

What OS is he running?

Has he got SP2 installed? Check Add remove prog's...

Just searched microsofts knowledge base.. but can't for the life of me find the article that mentioned this, there was a fix.
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 01:03   #5
Green Hornet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve H
What OS is he running?

Has he got SP2 installed? Check Add remove prog's...

Just searched microsofts knowledge base.. but can't for the life of me find the article that mentioned this, there was a fix.
win xp home

I just don't understand it
Old 09-05-2004, 02:54   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Can he telnet on to port 443 on any sites (try it with www.microsoft.com).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 03:00   #7
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

if it is winXP... try the fix for secure sites... at a dos prompt or run dialogue:

regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

press return after each and it should confirm as succeeded. I have used this loads of times for people and it always works.

For the full m$ article see knowledge base number 813444

MB
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 00:04   #8
heyyo
Inactive

heyyo is an unknown quantity at this point

great stuff i was having the same problem mines fixed by following a few steps in the link 813444

cheers
heyyo is offline   Reply With Quote