Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phoneline echo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Phoneline echo

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14   #1
Virginuser
Inactive

Virginuser is an unknown quantity at this point
Phoneline echo

hi everyone i wonder if anyone can help me.

i have a problem with my telephone line when in use it sounds like i am in a tunnel and so does the other person at the end of the line. I have tried another phone itself and this didnt solve the problem and i telephoned through to faults who said that they cant find a fault. Whats my next step please?
Virginuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2010, 21:00   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Phoneline echo

It does sound like a phone fault, unscrew the faceplate from the master socket and try the phone directly in there. If not only thing I can think of is a faulty E side on VM behalf
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 10:13   #3
nigelmclelland
Inactive

Services: Internet VIVID 150Mb Tv M, Phone - Talk weekends.
nigelmclelland is on a distinguished roadnigelmclelland is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginuser View Post

i have a problem with my telephone line when in use it sounds like i am in a tunnel and so does the other person at the end of the line. I have tried another phone itself and this didnt solve the problem and i telephoned through to faults who said that they cant find a fault. Whats my next step please?
Sounds to me as if your line is being tapped, ie a 3rd party listening in ?
nigelmclelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 10:17   #4
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelmclelland View Post
Sounds to me as if your line is being tapped, ie a 3rd party listening in ?
Sounds to me like you might need this

http://eclectech.co.uk/mindcontrol.php
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 10:30   #5
nigelmclelland
Inactive

nigelmclelland is on a distinguished roadnigelmclelland is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Sounds to me like you might need this

http://eclectech.co.uk/mindcontrol.php
Thanks! I take it you have tried it yourself?
Old 29-04-2010, 10:35   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Nah, I just own a tin foil production plant
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 10:37   #7
nigelmclelland
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Nah, I just own a tin foil production plant
Lol xx
Old 29-04-2010, 19:14   #8
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginuser View Post

If you've tried another 'phone in your socket and it is the same, then you need a tech to attend... just call 151 again and advise that you have tried another handset.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 22:51   #9
calmpitbull
Inactive

calmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to all

Agreed, try 2 phones in the master socket test point which is accessed by unscrewing the front part of the socket. If you still get the problem on both phones calling more than one person then report it. An echo'y line could be a number of things.
calmpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 23:24   #10
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmpitbull View Post
Agreed, try 2 phones in the master socket test point which is accessed by unscrewing the front part of the socket. If you still get the problem on both phones calling more than one person then report it. An echo'y line could be a number of things.
Like what?
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 23:33   #11
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Smile Re: Phoneline echo

Faulty ext faulty master socket are just some of the causes .
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 15:16   #12
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

Just to make sure that both phones are ok, try them on a different line. Ask one of your neighbours to try them and see if they get an echo while using the phones.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 22:18   #13
calmpitbull
Inactive

calmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to allcalmpitbull is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Like what?
Most likely would be the phone.

However possible causes include:

-Crossed line
-Faulty extension wiring in the house
-Another phone off the hook or faulty on the line
-Certain fault conditions on the line such as a battery contact
-Virgin Media equipment e-side or beyond

What the customer perceives to be an echo could easily be the sound of another phone off the hook or a fault condition creating those circumstances.

Either way my previous advice needs to be followed for the customer to rule out:

-Their phone
-The person they are calling
-Extension wiring

Everything else is VM's problem so at that point they should report it.
calmpitbull is offline   Reply With Quote