Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unicast Maintenance Ranging..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Unicast Maintenance Ranging..

Old 02-06-2007, 01:58   #1
Rakhal
Inactive

Rakhal is on a distinguished roadRakhal is on a distinguished road
Unicast Maintenance Ranging..

I'm getting a LOT of these messages in my cable modemlog..

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received

I get 20-60 of those and then

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...

and finally

DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

The connection is generally dead while all this is going on (no browsing e.t.c) and this happens every few hours. Rebooting the modem generally sorts it out, for a few hours...Any ideas what might be causing this?

-Rakhal
Rakhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2007, 02:30   #2
Gypo

Services: XL VIP Package 10mb BB
Re: Unicast Maintenance Ranging..

same here
Old 02-06-2007, 11:40   #3
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhal View Post
I'm getting a LOT of these messages in my cable modemlog..

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received

I get 20-60 of those and then

Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...

and finally

DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

The connection is generally dead while all this is going on (no browsing e.t.c) and this happens every few hours. Rebooting the modem generally sorts it out, for a few hours...Any ideas what might be causing this?

-Rakhal
What modem do you have and what tier are you on.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:55   #4
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

I dont think those messages are anything to do with your problem, ive had those type of messages for years and my connection has always been fine.
Ignore them.
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:00   #5
Incomplete
Permanently Banned

Incomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud of

Umm don't ignore them. Your modem is unable to reach the equipment at the cable company's end, or is unable to complete the standard periodic keepalive that cable modems do.

The odd one of these isn't a major problem but too many in a row and the connection is down.

The tier you are using is irrelevant, as is the modem. This is an issue you need to speak to VM tech support about as it points to an issue with the local VM network or your cable modem.

Thanks.
Incomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:16   #6
Rakhal
Inactive

Rakhal is on a distinguished roadRakhal is on a distinguished road

Modem is an NTL 250, tier is XL. No idea why I'm on that tier, I never get >7MB/s! (tried connecting directly to the modem)

But I shall attempt to do battle with CS. Wish me luck! :-)

--Rakhal
Rakhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:34   #7
GPR
Inactive

GPR is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same , please see screenshot.
I am on XL 20meg but never get anywhere nere that. Just completed a speed
test from this site and I was getting 1.3meg.

Going back to my screenshot can anyone see some problems.
[IMG][/IMG]
GPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 13:10   #8
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

I also have a few in my log, and have no problems whatsoever, full 20MB when downloading.

Do a search and theres many many threads regarding this, and the general jist is that is nothing to worry about.
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 14:20   #9
Incomplete
Permanently Banned

Incomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud ofIncomplete has much to be proud of

As I said a very occasional one of either T3 or T4 timeouts are fine. A number of them consecutively indicates a loss of communication to the cable operator and will cause the modem to go offline.

Please note your one occurance and the 19 occurances in one go in the screenshot above yours, which is sufficient to disconnect a modem.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/powerl...Questions#8560 is a nice, quick and accurate bit of information on timeouts, the links it provides are good for the hardcore cable geeks

DHCP warnings are nothing to write home about.
Old 02-06-2007, 17:57   #10
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhal View Post
Modem is an NTL 250, tier is XL. No idea why I'm on that tier, I never get >7MB/s! (tried connecting directly to the modem)

But I shall attempt to do battle with CS. Wish me luck! :-)

--Rakhal
Some other models of modem were prone to disconnections at some speeds. The 250 however should be good for whatever is currently available.
It would appear that you have some problem with your connection so the first step is to report the fault and get an engineer to call.

I wish you luck!
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:51   #11
Steve-o||[^]
Inactive

Location: The unserviceable side of an otherwise serviceable street; Greenock, Scotland
Services: Uber-limited HSDPA/HSUPA @ just-about-1Mbit/s-downstream.
Steve-o||[^] is on a distinguished roadSteve-o||[^] is on a distinguished road

ditto, with this;

Quote:
Init RANGING Critical Ranging Request Retries exhausted
Steve-o||[^] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:36   #12
Incomplete
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o||[^] View Post
ditto, with this;
Translation: Stuff this I'm trying to get online but the uBR doesn't want to talk to me to help me with my power levels. I'm going to pack this in and start the whole ranging process all over again.

It's what happens when there's lots of T3 timeouts consecutively (16 I think).
Old 14-07-2008, 23:30   #13
GrahamP
Inactive

GrahamP is an unknown quantity at this point

Your CMTS is trying to constantly upgrade your modem

Your AMBIT modem doesn't require the firmware upgrade, it fails, and resets. You lose your internet connection?

The minute in which your connection goes coincides with the precise minute in which your event log shows a UNICAST Maintenance attempt.

There's a setting on your modem:
max_dload_tries = related to firmware upgrades -> maximum is 255.

Try and get an engineer to set the maximum to 1 or even better 0!!

I'm positive this is the reason for your constantly dropping connectioN!!
GrahamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 00:43   #14
sstainer
Inactive

Services: VIP package
sstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nicesstainer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to sstainer

i had similar errors at the weekend was told it was down to a FEC connection error with the UBR got the answer from the newsgroup as all tech support wanted to do was send out an engineer and that was'nt needed
sstainer is offline   Reply With Quote