Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Line hum

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Jus got a call from virgin media

Old 04-01-2012, 12:56   #1
wazz
Inactive

wazz is infamous around these partswazz is infamous around these parts
Jus got a call from virgin media

I jus got a call from virgin media. They said they could reduce my telephone bills I think. I said no.

Any1 else got a call from virgin media about this
wazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2012, 13:06   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Jus got a call from virgin media

Yes - last month.

We were consistently spending £4-£7 per month on 084. numbers, and they pointed that for £2 per month, we could have those included in our XL phone package.

We took them up on their offer.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 13:36   #3
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazz View Post
I jus got a call from virgin media. They said they could reduce my telephone bills I think. I said no.

Any1 else got a call from virgin media about this
Am I not surprised.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 14:23   #4
wazz
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Yes - last month.

We were consistently spending £4-£7 per month on 084. numbers, and they pointed that for £2 per month, we could have those included in our XL phone package.

We took them up on their offer.
Did virgin media confirm and ask u the first 2 letters/number from ur password?
Old 04-01-2012, 14:24   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
The are many different ways to clear DPA and that is one of them.

You were given the option to save money and said no, ring back and ask about any deals on offer.
Old 04-01-2012, 14:31   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Not the first two, but two of the characters.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 14:38   #7
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
The are many different ways to clear DPA and that is one of them.

You were given the option to save money and said no, ring back and ask about any deals on offer.
I also have received these calls and have been asked to give passwords over the phone - an absolute nonsense especially considering i don't have a password on the account.

Really bad practice from VM if it was genuinely VM.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 14:53   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
I also have received these calls and have been asked to give passwords over the phone - an absolute nonsense especially considering i don't have a password on the account.

Usually when setting up your account over the phone you are asked for a Customer Verification Question which is listed on the first screen we see, many people forget about that question and I would love a pound for every person who says what you posted above as most remember it when asked or we clear DPA in other ways.

The are other ways to clear DPA, such as how do you pay for your services and which bank, your date of birth even what services do you have.

Your bank will ask for certain letters from your password as well if you ring them or they ring you, Santander and Nat West do every time I speak to them.
Old 04-01-2012, 15:43   #9
wazz
Inactive

Quote:

Yup. When virgin media asked me to confirm 2 characters from my password. I got a bit thingy then I said no
Old 04-01-2012, 16:23   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Yup. When virgin media asked me to confirm 2 characters from my password. I got a bit thingy then I said no
As you are only confirming information that you already know such as your password may be virgin and you say i and g and they say thank you sir ok we can offer you a cheaper deal how is that wrong, if you ring your bank you get asked similar questions and if anyone tries to say different then they are either lying or have never ever spoken to a bank over the phone.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:17   #11
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Usually when setting up your account over the phone you are asked for a Customer Verification Question which is listed on the first screen we see, many people forget about that question and I would love a pound for every person who says what you posted above as most remember it when asked or we clear DPA in other ways.

The are other ways to clear DPA, such as how do you pay for your services and which bank, your date of birth even what services do you have.

Your bank will ask for certain letters from your password as well if you ring them or they ring you, Santander and Nat West do every time I speak to them.
I've never done that so there is no password.

if its genuine they should know that looking at the screen.

if there is no password and they are asking for one they either are not genuine or don't know what they're doing.

When i phone Virgin i use the postcode/how do you pay etc. to verify who i am.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:08   #12
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:

if there is no password and they are asking for one they either are not genuine or don't know what they're doing.

To be fair in my experience, about 90% of the people who say they don't have a password on their account actually have one on the password screen. Some have them set up on install then don't call for a while and forget it.

Others, like yourself will have a "No Password" entry on the account.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:56   #13
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:

Which is the exact route they will go, why are you disputing what the other person was asked then, plus a Customer Verification Password can be put on your account at any time after you clear DPA, job done.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:17   #14
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

The OP had a call FROM Virgin. I am always dubious about giving out security information to unsolicited callers.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06   #15
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
The OP had a call FROM Virgin. I am always dubious about giving out security information to unsolicited callers.
So if your bank calls and asks you questions about a trasaction do you hang up?

This happens every single day and has done for as long as I can remember.