Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What Router for media networking?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

What Router for media networking?

Old 13-04-2012, 23:48   #1
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough
What Router for media networking?

I asked this question here but I thought I would start another thread, please delete if this was the wrong thing to do.

I am having problems using the Superhub as a wireless router, I currently have it hooked up to d-link dir615 (supplied by Virgin) andit's no better. For this reason I would like a better router.

Above and beyond this I have just brought a media server and a couple of streamers so I can get my home networked so I need a better router more than ever. I plan on streaming HD (even 3DHD) over the network...

Anyway I have been researching and I have come up with a number of choices, unless you guys have alternatives, and was hoping you can help me choose.

Here they are...

Apple Airport Extreme
Cisco linksys e4200
Netgear WNDR3800
Netgear WNDR4500

Any advice welcome and very much needed.
gaz2810i is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2012, 09:38   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: What Router for media networking?

I vote for Linksys 4200 a million times. There is a guy on this forum who is god when it comes to networking and he has got a 4200 and swears buy it. I have got a 3000 and swear by it too.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 14:22   #3
gaz2810i
Inactive

Services: Panasonic 55VT30, Pioneer VSX-LX53, BDP-LX54, Virgin TiVo 1tb (VIP), Toshiba HD-EX1, VM 50gb BB, PS3
gaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enoughgaz2810i will become famous soon enough

Never ventured into the networking thread, DOH! Thanks to whoever moved it
Old 14-04-2012, 14:42   #4
Jayster
I am the one who knocks

Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold

Are the media streamers wireless? If your using a wired connection to them then I cant see any router making a real difference besides being gigabit or not.
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 15:56   #5
gaz2810i
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster View Post
Are the media streamers wireless? If your using a wired connection to them then I cant see any router making a real difference besides being gigabit or not.
A mixture of both Wireless and wired and powerline.

TBH my Super hub offers such poor wireless connectivity and the D-Link Dir615 I have just started using isn't much better.

---------- Post added at 14:56 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

Anybody used Broadbandbuyer.co.uk?

Also any opinions on the new N750 (EA3500) and N900 (EA4500) routers from Linksys?
Old 14-04-2012, 18:51   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz2810i View Post
Apple Airport Extreme
Cisco linksys e4200
Netgear WNDR3800
Netgear WNDR4500
The WNDR4500 has the most powerful wireless of the lot, with the joint second fastest processor with the WNDR3800 (though there's no reason to get it over the cheaper WNDR3700).

The E4200 is the slowest of the lot but still performs amicably out of the box despite it's hardware handicap.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 16:28   #7
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k

i would go for the apple extreme i am using the 5Ghz wireless and got this speed

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1899427133.png

So its all good
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote