Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 30-03-2012, 20:19   #16
gouldy
Inactive

gouldy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjf288 View Post
Might be time to get in contact with BT Infinity...

i cant get it yet, but tbh if i could get the 80/20 that will be rolled out soon, this new stm on 100mb might be enough to push me over to bt tbh, unless the stm is very high, say 40gb minimum

but i wouldn't be surprised it being 15-20gb tops

nothing short of a disgrace paying top, top dollar and having it restricted, going to 100mb and not worrying about stm was my main reason upgrading (and having the 10mb upload)

if im gonna have to start watching what im downloading, i will probably drop down to 30/3 and download in the night like i did before
gouldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2012, 20:47   #17
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepitretro View Post
OK just rang up and they said 100/120 mb will be 250gig before STM kicks in and then a 50% reduction in speed, and STM times will run from 10AM till 3PM, but he didn't know about the protocol shaping? And the upload will be 120gig before STM kicks in.....

Was going to leave but the changes seem fair enough to me, plus infinity has been put back 3 months in my area!!!!
250gig per day? that sounds very high actually, how long would it take to download 250gig with 100mbit speeds?

did he say upload STM limit?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 20:48   #18
keepitretro
Permanently Banned

keepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about them

120gb between 10am and 3pm.
keepitretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 20:54   #19
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

even thats very high.

they gone from one extreme to the other.

with limits that high they may as well keep it STM free and avoid the bad PR.

ok so a 100mbit line can do 32tb a month which I calculated at a per hour rate of 44gig an hour.

for an unlimited service of course there really shouldnt be any of these games going on but knowing how hard VM are pushing their capacity then for this to be effective I would expect it to allow 2 hours max of full speed constant usage. which would be about 90gig of usage. and on upload about an hour of usage as thats much more congested so maybe about 4.5gig usage on upload STM for top tier. In short with these limits I dont know why they bothering.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 22:00   #20
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Nor me. I doubt the numbers are correct.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 23:21   #21
philipp
Inactive

Services: vivid 200. 3 tivos with all main channels.
philipp is an unknown quantity at this point

If those numbers are correct, I bet its for a 28/monthly period. We shall soon see. If its correct, based on 28-day figure, it be a 170 gig reduction between those times.

I have a feeling its some confusion over the figures, however as isnt 250 gig a month figure the magical decremential use figure in peak times?
philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 00:54   #22
watzizname
Inactive

Services: XL 60/3
watzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to allwatzizname is a name known to all

Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's actually per month..
watzizname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 04:42   #23
knack
Inactive

knack is an unknown quantity at this point

Removing unlimited downloads would be an extreme change which I think is very unlikely.

I think (and hope) the person that keepitretro spoke to just didn't know what they were talking about.
knack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 05:03   #24
keepitretro
Permanently Banned

keepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about themkeepitretro has a spectacular aura about them

They sounded like they knew what they were talking about! For a change.
keepitretro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 06:57   #25
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I am not too bothered about the usage limits but if it is going to be between 1000 and 1500 it is a flipping joke and shows the network isnt up to scratch and they shouldnt be doing the speed increases. I can understand 1600-2100 for peak time in the evenings but if you are going to implement stm all day (when most people are at work) and only be un-stm'd at night, that means the network cant handle the speed at all unless everyone is asleep and there are a hand full of people using it in the country.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 07:48   #26
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

I'm on 50 meg, and i've recently noticed my connection being capped at 15 meg at peak times, it must be a recent thing because i've never noticed it before, have Virgin changed their policy without letting me know?
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 08:30   #27
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldy View Post
i cant get it yet, but tbh if i could get the 80/20 that will be rolled out soon, this new stm on 100mb might be enough to push me over to bt tbh, unless the stm is very high, say 40gb minimum

but i wouldn't be surprised it being 15-20gb tops

nothing short of a disgrace paying top, top dollar and having it restricted, going to 100mb and not worrying about stm was my main reason upgrading (and having the 10mb upload)

if im gonna have to start watching what im downloading, i will probably drop down to 30/3 and download in the night like i did before
The price of 100Mb is hardly top dollar take a look at leased lines now that top dollar, VM run a contented service so the bandwidth will be shared downloading anything I think 50Mb is more than enough and you seriously can't download that much everynight even streaming HD all night you wouldn't get STM'd as I am guessing the limits won't be that low.
Old 31-03-2012, 09:28   #28
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by knack View Post
Removing unlimited downloads would be an extreme change which I think is very unlikely.
Who said they're "removing unlimited downloads"?

All tiers have always had un-limited downloads, just not unlimited speed; and it looks like this is to continue.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 12:37   #29
data0002
cf.addict

Services: 120mg Broadband (Virgin) telephone (Virgin media) 2 x Tivo
data0002 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick question if they are removing the 50meg unlimited downloads and sort of capping haven't they got to give us 28 days notice as it will be a change of our t&c's
data0002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 16:42   #30
knack
Inactive

knack is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Who said they're "removing unlimited downloads"?

All tiers have always had un-limited downloads, just not unlimited speed; and it looks like this is to continue.
Hmm now I'm confused - I thought that's what the posts above mine were implying. Perhaps I'm wrong:

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipp View Post
If those numbers are correct, I bet its for a 28/monthly period. We shall soon see. If its correct, based on 28-day figure, it be a 170 gig reduction between those times.

I have a feeling its some confusion over the figures, however as isnt 250 gig a month figure the magical decremential use figure in peak times?
Quote:
Originally Posted by watzizname View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's actually per month..
knack is offline   Reply With Quote