Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 19-10-2013, 10:07   #4171
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

I have had no humping recently; time to have an affair perhaps.
Ignoring the massive blips, entirely due to me running uTorrent and Livedrive without reins, my graph has been looking pretty good.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

I appear to live in a low contention and updated area so I only usually get problems when there is a regional or national issue.

Here's the graph for Monday 13th.

roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-10-2013, 10:25   #4172
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
I have had no humping recently; time to have an affair perhaps.
Ignoring the massive blips, entirely due to me running uTorrent and Livedrive without reins, my graph has been looking pretty good.

I appear to live in a low contention and updated area so I only usually get problems when there is a regional or national issue.

Here's the graph for Monday 13th.

That is 1 of the best VM graphs i have seen in modem mode.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 11:47   #4173
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
That is 1 of the best VM graphs i have seen in modem mode.
That surprises me. Surely other areas that have been re-segmented and re-carded will be getting similar profiles.

Here are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from last week. Any blips or reboot lines are due to my activity.

Old 19-10-2013, 12:07   #4174
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I think you have alot less yellow, although i think my connection is great apart from the 5 day issue last week.
Old 19-10-2013, 12:53   #4175
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

I also must be in a low utilisation area, last nights big jump was me getting some stuff via torrent.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 13:01   #4176
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping View Post
I also must be in a low utilisation area, last nights big jump was me getting some stuff via torrent.

Is that with a SH2 in modem mode?
Old 19-10-2013, 14:13   #4177
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
No thats the SH1 in modem mode and Asus RT-N56U router running Padawan firmware.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 14:28   #4178
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
To be honest I don't think there's a lot of difference between SH1 and SH2 in modem only mode. It is the WiFi that is the problem with the SH1.
Old 19-10-2013, 14:30   #4179
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Yes that is true which is why i am glad i was on the trial for a SH2 so got 1 free as i have no use for a separate router.
Old 19-10-2013, 19:42   #4180
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes that is true which is why i am glad i was on the trial for a SH2 so got 1 free as i have no use for a separate router.
Depends what you want to do with a router. SH2 will do they basics very well.
Old 19-10-2013, 20:54   #4181
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

But only the basics.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 22:26   #4182
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Well heres my fine piece of modern art for today...

craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 22:51   #4183
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Well heres my fine piece of modern art for today...
Obviously not standard congestion. I take it a reboot of the shub starts the hill at a lower latency again? Is this a shub or UBR/Chasis bug? Or something to do with signals/frequencies being multiplied/collided/anything else i'm clueless with. Almost reminds me of a memory leak, but with network packets...
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 23:31   #4184
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Obviously not standard congestion. I take it a reboot of the shub starts the hill at a lower latency again? Is this a shub or UBR/Chasis bug? Or something to do with signals/frequencies being multiplied/collided/anything else i'm clueless with. Almost reminds me of a memory leak, but with network packets...
Seems all I can get from it after consultation from Seph is that it is congestion on the upstream causing the upstream buffer to fill up at the modem (causing the router resources to be consumed while BPI is working overtime) - of course just a theory but in my eyes seems the most likely, i've been at my office all day and no-one has been in, so that's all with zero usage at my end. ill do a power cycle now and see what happens.

Ultimately, if my theory is correct, its technically a firmware bug, but if VM were to keep utilisation at acceptable levels it would be a non-issue, but this is VM we are talking about!
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 00:45   #4185
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Craig,

As I mentioned earlier an exhaustive set of controlled tests were performed and reported here.

Although there was much postulation, and this ramping was shown to occur irrespective of user load, there was no conclusion as to cause. Turning firewall off, turning wireless off all reduced latency. But the matter was not resolved.

Ravenstar's SH2 did not display this ramping, and my SH1 never did either.

So now to further speculation taking into account what QTX has just said. In the SH2 trial, Ravenstar's SH2 suffered from the BSR incompatibility issue associated with BPI/TEK. I don't know if TH at Crawley is on a Motorola BSR and what Craig#s CMTS is. But if it is a BSR and we can chase all the other users who have reported the ramping and get the question reopened.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote