Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 25-03-2017, 19:46   #1156
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
HBO Nordic is a perfect example of this that one includes other networks too such as Showtime, Amc etc.
Not impossible...but not easy.
Trouble is, they're all licensed to Sky or BT and have different renewal dates.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-03-2017, 19:58   #1157
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
HBO Nordic is a perfect example of this that one includes other networks too such as Showtime, Amc etc.
Hopefully, something like this will show up in the UK before long. Ultimately, I hope that we will have much better availability of services that is the norm in the US so that there is rather less of a divide between us.

As we become more global in our outlook, this may ultimately wrong foot Sky with their obsession in respect to exclusivity of content. I don't have any problem with exclusivity of first run rights, but the contract they have currently with HBO is just plain wrong. How long has Game of Thrones been locked into Sky satellite subscribers only? It's just not right.

No wonder there is a piracy problem!

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Not impossible...but not easy.
Trouble is, they're all licensed to Sky or BT and have different renewal dates.
It is very easy. HBO enter into a contract for first run rights only. Even first and second is acceptable. As long as there are good time constaints. I wouldn't mind at all if I had to wait for 12 months, but after that, it starts to become unreasonable, in my view.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 20:13   #1158
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Game of Thrones isn't locked into Sky satellite subscribers it's available to anyone with a 2mb or greater internet connection on Now TV.

Last edited by muppetman11; 25-03-2017 at 20:38.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 20:42   #1159
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Game of Thrones isn't locked into Sky satellite subscribers it's available to anyone with a 2mb or greater internet connection on Now TV.
H'mm, yes, owned by Sky, of course.

It still means that other subscribers to digital platforms have to pay more for this content.
Old 25-03-2017, 21:14   #1160
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
H'mm, yes, owned by Sky, of course.

It still means that other subscribers to digital platforms have to pay more for this content.
If I want AMC I have to subscribe to a BT package what's the difference.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 22:16   #1161
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Quote:
Hopefully, something like this will show up in the UK before long..

No chance in my view. The closest is Now TV which has HBO and Showtime content.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 00:26   #1162
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
If I want AMC I have to subscribe to a BT package what's the difference.
You are talking about a channel. I'm talking about content.

The first series of Fear the Walking Dead was exclusive to the AMC channel, but after it had been shown, this was made available on Amazon Prime free of charge.

In my view, that is acceptable practice. All I'm saying is that exclusivity should not apply beyond a period of 1 or 2 years.
Old 13-04-2017, 12:37   #1163
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Live TV still the future according to Freeview boss. (Yes, I know, he would say that. etc)

Quote:
“We should be less willing as an industry to adopt the Silicon Valley view of the world based on flimsy evidence and half-truths. We should be wary of big claims when coupled with a lack of transparency over audience figures and instead focus on real world evidence of what viewers are actually doing.”

Thompson suggested that even the much talked about millennials, who have fully embraced the on demand world were still watching more live TV than anything else.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...n-valley-view/
Old 13-04-2017, 14:34   #1164
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Live TV still the future according to Freeview boss. (Yes, I know, he would say that. etc)

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...n-valley-view/
Given that many of our digital channels attract less than 2% of the viewing audience at the best of times, many must be uncomfortably close to the edge of viability. I think that the number of these channels still broadcasting in 10 years' time will have diminished substantially due to their audiences reducing still further at the hands of on line viewing.

What happens thereafter is the big question. You know my views on this, but it is probably fair to say that the big five digital terrestrial channels will survive longest, and maybe the Sky and BT sports channels.

I do not know what they might pull out of the hat to keep people viewing conventially, but it will have to be good.

I don't doubt for one minute that there are plenty of people out there who don't want change, but the question is whether there are enough of them to make it worthwhile to continue broadcasting our linear TV channels as streaming becomes more mainstream and the diehards become increasingly outnumbered by the millenials.
Old 18-04-2017, 09:36   #1165
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Here is proof, if it's needed, that sport can be delivered via streaming and not just through conventional linear channels.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017/...gium-ott-only/
Old 18-04-2017, 10:09   #1166
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Here is proof, if it's needed, that sport can be delivered via streaming and not just through conventional linear channels.

Now TV have been offering a streamed sports package for quite while; over a year probably.
Old 18-04-2017, 10:13   #1167
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Now TV have been offering a streamed sports package for quite while; over a year probably.
Agreed. Time flies - Now TV has offered sport for four years launching it in March 2013.
I guess Old Boy might mean "exclusively through OTT channels" though.
Old 18-04-2017, 10:26   #1168
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Agreed. Time flies - Now TV has offered sport for four years launching it in March 2013.
Yes, I did; sorry for not making that clear, I was multi-tasking at the time I wrote that!
Old 18-04-2017, 13:12   #1169
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, I did; sorry for not making that clear, I was multi-tasking at the time I wrote that!

Not sure "exclusively through OTT channels" is relevant; the issue is whether it is streamable without a pay TV subscription via monthly subscription on a variety of devices. If the same service is also available via pay TV service, who cares?
Old 18-04-2017, 13:15   #1170
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Nowtv, btsports, nbcsports, foxsports, Eurosport have been delivering sports via streaming for ages.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote