Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 24-09-2015, 17:45   #421
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
In your humble opinion, Den!
In my unknowledgeable opinion sounds better.
Old 24-09-2015, 17:46   #422
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
R The linear channels are safe in the short to medium term, but the crunch will almost certainly come eventually.

You describe it as 'my world' and I admit that I am comfortable with it as I no longer watch broadcast TV live, but I am not wishing this on everyone. I'm simply stating what I believe is the way we are going.

In terms of your question, I have to say that it would take me ages to select a programme I would want to watch at a specific time from my EPG and I can find stuff from Netflix pretty quickly.

A set top box designed to carry different streaming services would have advanced search facilities that would assist you in finding the types of programme you were looking for. It would also keep track on where you were in any given series (as Netflix and Amazon do very efficiently already).
Which is already done most STB's now have advanced search , top picks , suggestions.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 20:05   #423
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
On the otherhand Amazon will be using Android 5.0 upwards on firetv which opens the new firetv up for endless possibilities.
Not sure if you're aware but the new Fire OS 5 with Alexa is coming to the first gen FireTV box, rumoured to be October.

http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-os-5-wi...ck-in-october/
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 21:19   #424
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
Not sure if you're aware but the new Fire OS 5 with Alexa is coming to the first gen FireTV box, rumoured to be October.

http://www.aftvnews.com/fire-os-5-wi...ck-in-october/

But so far, Echo hasn't been released in the UK (who's 'brain' is Alexa).

Hope Amazon do add Alexa as a UK launch, but UK tech. sites seem to have no mention of it when I checked after aftnews announced it on their site.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 21:46   #425
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
But so far, Echo hasn't been released in the UK (who's 'brain' is Alexa).

Hope Amazon do add Alexa as a UK launch, but UK tech. sites seem to have no mention of it when I checked after aftnews announced it on their site.
I guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 23:43   #426
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
I'll try not to be so tiresome!
You keep telling them OB, I think you'll end up being correct in what you've been saying for months on this subject.......
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 19:46   #427
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

This will warm the cockles of your hearts, Harry Hitch and denphone! All in the interests of balance!

http://advanced-television.com/2015/...ar-tv-viewers/
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 19:50   #428
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Well we did tell you so young man.
Old 02-12-2015, 19:52   #429
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well we did tell you so young man.
I'll let you get away with that one, Den!!
Old 02-12-2015, 20:13   #430
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
This will warm the cockles of your hearts, Harry Hitch and denphone! All in the interests of balance!

http://advanced-television.com/2015/...ar-tv-viewers/
Lol, cheers OB. Kudo's for sharing too. In fairness to some of the comments you recieve, we do not know who was polled, however the fact it polled online users is not a great sign for your views.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 22:49   #431
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Online TV episodes create live TV viewers who would otherwise never have existed: More than half of consumers (52 per cent) say they’ve first discovered a show from an online source, and then went on to watch the same show from traditional, non-online sources
Not surprising really and the reason why TV networks give Netflix previous seasons; to generate viewers for the currently airing season.

One US Cable network recently cited that as the reason for not increasing the time window for allowing Netflix access to previous seasons when other TV Networks were pressing them to do so. I posted the link to that source recently, but can't remember which thread (probably the Netflix streaming thread).
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 13:37   #432
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Lol, cheers OB. Kudo's for sharing too. In fairness to some of the comments you recieve, we do not know who was polled, however the fact it polled online users is not a great sign for your views.
Well, the poll was taken in the present. My belief is that existing viewing habits will change, so this doesn't really impact on my look to the future.

Just look at the huge change in how we communicate through social media in the last decade. This change was driven by the young growing up into adulthood. I am sure that their ways of viewing will eventually feed through to what the mainstream do, and that a point will come when commercial TV will be seen as old hat and an inefficient way of viewing.

However, we'll see.
Old 03-12-2015, 22:51   #433
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Well, the poll was taken in the present. My belief is that existing viewing habits will change, so this doesn't really impact on my look to the future.

Just look at the huge change in how we communicate through social media in the last decade. This change was driven by the young growing up into adulthood. I am sure that their ways of viewing will eventually feed through to what the mainstream do, and that a point will come when commercial TV will be seen as old hat and an inefficient way of viewing.

However, we'll see.
Lol, the very people who are already watching streaming/on demand (the people who you want to be the trend setters for your future) are already admitting to watching more live, linear TV.

I really have no idea how you think this will be different in 10 years time.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 13:31   #434
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
Lol, the very people who are already watching streaming/on demand (the people who you want to be the trend setters for your future) are already admitting to watching more live, linear TV.

I really have no idea how you think this will be different in 10 years time.
Trust you to come up with that angle!

I think that the proportion of respondents following up on live TV could be predominently slightly older BBC viewers!
Old 24-12-2015, 20:27   #435
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Pay-TV providers to hit direct-to-consumer route in 2016

With the core concept of the TV channel fragmenting, 2016 will see a growing number of broadcasters tapping into burgeoning online video spend by selling their content directly to viewers, says research by IHS.

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201512244...#axzz3vGccLVXr

This is very interesting, coming from the respected IHS, which 'provides information and analysis to support the decision-making process of businesses and governments in industries, such as aerospace, defense and security; automotive; chemical; energy; maritime and trade; and technology' (source: Wikipedia).

This professional 'think tank' organisation seem to be saying that we will soon have the choice between streaming services offered by all broadcasters, which we will be able to pick and choose as we please rather than simply have the limited bundles currently offered by Sky, Virgin Media, BT, etc, containing a plethora of channels nobody wants.

This may enable us to ditch all those wretched 'lifestyle' channels that come with the bundles in favour of what we really want to see, although whether our actual costs will come down.....I dare not even think that!

I expect that the linear channels offered by companies like VM will continue side by side for a while, but eventually, streaming will take over completely.

It's the way we're going, folks!