Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | He's for the High Jump!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Winxdows ReadyBoost

Old 28-10-2014, 17:56   #1
007stuart
cf.addict

Services: TIVO V6 Meg Service TV XL Virgin Phone Home & Mobile My wife says I have too many SONOS units
007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute007stuart has a reputation beyond repute
Winxdows ReadyBoost

Today I picked up a freebie at an exhibition which looked like a credit card but was actually a 4gb usb drive. I tried it today and a pop up box appeared with an option to use the drive as additional RAM. So I thought nothing ventured nothing gained and now I must admit I was very sceptical however ReadyBoost has really helped my 5yr Acer laptop and now everything seems to run quicker.

Does anyone else use this?
007stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-10-2014, 18:04   #2
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Winxdows ReadyBoost

I tried it with standard USB sticks and found they slowed everything down. But then I tried a high speed type and things improved a lot. A lot faster than relying on Virtual Memory on the Hard Drive.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 20:02   #3
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

The less RAM you have, the more readyboost helps - once RAM is plentiful, then the overhead of managing readyboost may exceed the benefit.

I readyboosted a 1GB RAM netbook, but stopped using readyboost after upping the RAM to 2GB
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 02:42   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

This feature has been around for seven years, and yes it was useful last decade but has been removed now because it's mostly pointless on modern machines.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 09:45   #5
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Readyboost certainly had a use, for Netbooks and low end systems but for anything resembling a decent system it didn't do much.

I did play with for a while but as my system was certainly not low end it just made things slower. I currently have 16GB of RAM so barely need a pagefile, let alone this but keep the idea in my head if helping people with old systems.
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2014, 13:20   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Yeah it's also largely dependent on the USB drive's read and write speeds, if they're slower than your HDD it doesn't help. Hence Microsoft built-in to Windows a function to speedtest every USB stick you connect before allowing it to be used for ReadyBoost, but even then the standards were fairly low, only 2.5MB/sec.

Although high-end modern USB drives can reach hundreds of megabytes per second, they cost several times more than an equally sized and faster SSD anyway.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote