Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Landline Phone Hacked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Moved house and told I can't have a local phone number!

Old 03-08-2011, 21:54   #1
mudlow
Inactive

mudlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Moved house and told I can't have a local phone number!

Hello all - long time reader and appreciator of the forums - apologies that my first post as a member is me looking for advice!

I have recently moved home, taking my VM services with me. I moved from Paisley to Johnstone, and in doing so have moved from an area with an 0141 STD code, to one with an 01505 STD code.

But when VM reconnected my services at my new address, my phone number remained the same as it was in my old property (0141 xxx xxxx). This would have been superb if I'd wanted to keep it for some reason; but I don't.

I call a lot of local numbers, and I'd love to be able to just dial six numbers for a taxi or a takeaway, or local friends and relatives. Speaking of takeaways, one nearly refused to deliver to me and wouldn't believe that I lived locally. Frustrating!

So - I thought, this should be simple to solve.

I call VM and they are very helpful, but tell me that the only options for a number change are all 0141 numbers, and that no 01505 numbers are available.

I find this tricky to believe, as I know of several other VM subscribers in my street who have the correct 01505 STD code.

It's a real annoyance - at the moment I'm looking into my options for dropping my 'phone package to 'M' and getting the BT line put back in so that I have a local number.

Does anyone else have experience of this? Did you manage to resolve it?
mudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2011, 22:16   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Moved house and told I can't have a local phone number!

If it should definately be 01505 where you live you need to get Customer Services to check with a department called 'Central House Files'. They should be able to verify which area code the address should be attached to and change if needs be

Customer Services just trying to change the number may not help as the system will only offer the area code it thinks it should be, not what it actually should be

It's better to do it during the day as that's when the House File team are open for Customer Services to talk to
Old 03-08-2011, 22:30   #3
mudlow
Inactive

mudlow is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Moved house and told I can't have a local phone number!

Thank you very much BenMcr, that's really helpful, I'll give them a call back tomorrow.

I should have mentioned that my house move required an install from scratch as there was no cable from the street to the property; perhaps this has confused things. Hopefully Central House Files can check with adjacent properties to confirm the correct STD code.

Cheers
mudlow is offline   Reply With Quote