Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Use Superhub 2 as a access point

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Moving home, question about install

Old 03-01-2024, 12:32   #1
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one
Moving home, question about install

I will be moving soon and will arrange to have VM installed at my new home.

I have a question about installs, is it possible to have the Cable tv box and the modem installed in two different locations?

The reason I ask is I am having ethernet cables installed in a few rooms and having all the cables go back to the spare bedroom that will become my office. So I want the TV box in the living room and the modem in the bedroom where it will connect to a router, then a switch that will essentially feed the other outlets.

Is that a possibility or a no no for the installer?
Old 03-01-2024, 13:53   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Moving home, question about install

When I had VM TV I had separate cables for TV and Modem, as they were in different locations, all done by the installer.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 17:08   #3
zantarous

zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Thank you, sounds like it is possible then.
Old 05-01-2024, 15:18   #4
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I'll elaborate on that. Assuming that your installation will use coax cable (as distinct from fibre), there will be a wall box on the outside of your house. Inside that wall box will be the incoming coax cable and a splitter.

As Paul says, the installer will run coax to wherever you want.

That means all you need to do is choose what to locate where and ensure that your structured Ethernet cable covers it all.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 16:19   #5
demoulous
cf.member

demoulous is an unknown quantity at this point

We have our cable TV box in the living room and the cable modem upstairs in the spare bedroom, so yeah its not a problem for them.
demoulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2024, 13:37   #6
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

The newer V6 TV boxes do also need a way to connect to your broadband, so your TV location will need a lan connection available (or decent wifi).
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 09:46   #7
zantarous

The only reason I have TV is everytime I try to cancel it, they give me a price that includes it for like £5. I only ever use it for watching the World Cup or the Euros.

There will be LAN ports in the area by the TV, and if WIFI is iffy downstairs then I will add an access point.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 11:53   #8
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
The only reason I have TV is everytime I try to cancel it, they give me a price that includes it for like £5. I only ever use it for watching the World Cup or the Euros.

There will be LAN ports in the area by the TV, and if WIFI is iffy downstairs then I will add an access point.
You seem to know what you're doing.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 14:55   #9
zantarous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
You seem to know what you're doing.
Somedays I really wonder if I do

Another question, do virgin allow you to have services in two locations for a short time as I don't have a moving date as I am having work done at the house and once I get that date it will be a week, maybe two at the max. I am kind of worried that might not be enough notice for Virgin to do a new install as there is current no Virgin installation there.

How complicated is wiring up a property that has never had virgin before. The house itself is not a new build so I hope there is no issue to pulling a cable or capacity.

And how do I know if the area is FTTH or hybrid coaxial?
Old 08-01-2024, 15:27   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

It's hard to predict how much pre-installation work will be needed. Best to give as much advance notice as you can.

PM me the postcode and I'll check what type of network it is.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2024, 16:27   #11
zantarous

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It's hard to predict how much pre-installation work will be needed. Best to give as much advance notice as you can.

PM me the postcode and I'll check what type of network it is.
Thanks PM sent.
Old 09-01-2024, 11:21   #12
zantarous

On the off chance I contacted Virgin via chats and looks like they can do pre work prior to my move date. Now just need to be contacted by then to arrange a date.
Old 19-01-2024, 16:09   #13
zantarous

Does anyone know how robust the orders process is at VM? I booked my install for 5th Feb and they pay week arranged to move it to an earlier date

As the property doesn't have VM already there was going to be some preprep work the day before. I am really hoping that changing the date this gets flagged somewhere and the installer doesn't turn up on the day and sat sorry can't do the install.
Old 26-01-2024, 10:41   #14
zantarous

Just had a call from VM to say they had to put my install on hold due to blockage in the ducts and need permission from the local council to resolve the issue.

As there is bugger all mobile signal, or at least not a very good one I need to look at getting a 30 day rolling contract with an open reach provider. Googling seems to suggest this is a thing but when I go to the providers page it always seems to be a 12 month term.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Edit: looks like Now have a no contract option.

Has anyone had to deal with VM getting permission from the local council, sounds like this could be months?

Edit 2:

Ah just thought any open reach connection is going to require a phone line and that will probably be a 12 month contract.

Last edited by zantarous; 26-01-2024 at 11:03.
Old 17-02-2024, 20:06   #15
Edward27
cf.member

Edward27 is on a distinguished roadEdward27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
Just had a call from VM to say they had to put my install on hold due to blockage in the ducts and need permission from the local council to resolve the issue.

As there is bugger all mobile signal, or at least not a very good one I need to look at getting a 30 day rolling contract with an open reach provider. Googling seems to suggest this is a thing but when I go to the providers page it always seems to be a 12 month term.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists?

Edit: looks like Now have a no contract option.

Has anyone had to deal with VM getting permission from the local council, sounds like this could be months?

Edit 2:

Ah just thought any open reach connection is going to require a phone line and that will probably be a 12 month contract.

OMG yes, you got it right, when I was in the same situation it took FOREVER for them to get approved for that permit ught, still worth the wait I'd say
Edward27 is offline   Reply With Quote