Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

Old 04-12-2016, 21:15   #16
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one
Re: All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefu View Post
It's Virgins fault because this latency showed up in the trials, but they went ahead and issued the faulty kit anyway.
The equipment isn't faulty, it's software that isn't correct. Read the article and you will see Intel are rolling out fix.
Old 05-12-2016, 00:03   #17
nallar
Inactive

nallar is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

Seeing inconsistent latencies with a Hub 3 here, on 12 down 2 up (16 QAM).

CMTS:

google.co.uk:

The big spikes to the CMTS every ~15 minutes may be a separate problem as they don't affect traffic to further away hosts. Not sure what would be causing that. If it matters the CMTS mac vendor is RiverDelta Networks.
nallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 22:49   #18
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

I have the Hitron from Virgin Media business, which reportedly uses the same Intel chipset as the Hub3, so suffers the same latency problem, yet the TBB graph appears cleaner:-

ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 17:08   #19
2pence
cf.member

Services: Gig1 Fibre Broadband
2pence is an unknown quantity at this point

So guys, is this why my pings from my PC <> cat5 cable <> Hub 3.0 are 4-5ms?
Old 08-12-2016, 18:17   #20
Bambamboyo
Inactive

Bambamboyo is on a distinguished roadBambamboyo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pence View Post
In a word, yes

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
I have the Hitron from Virgin Media business, which reportedly uses the same Intel chipset as the Hub3, so suffers the same latency problem, yet the TBB graph appears cleaner:-

I think possibly the more bonded channels your modem is locked on to, the worse it is. I am on 20 down / 4 up. My BQM looks much noisier than your chart. How many are you on?
Bambamboyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 20:22   #21
The PIT
Inactive

The PIT will become famous soon enoughThe PIT will become famous soon enoughThe PIT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
The equipment isn't faulty, it's software that isn't correct. Read the article and you will see Intel are rolling out fix.
I think you should. Yes it is faulty because if it's not working as the way it should. That's why Intel is rolling out a fix.
The PIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 16:49   #22
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIT View Post
I think you should. Yes it is faulty because if it's not working as the way it should. That's why Intel is rolling out a fix.
No its a software issue, not faulty equipment. Quite a difference if the equipment is FAULTY then it would need replacing. As most electrical goods that run off a CPU would need replacing every time a software upgrade is needed.
Old 09-12-2016, 20:19   #23
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pence View Post
I have to admit I never even thought to look at ping times on what is effectively my local network and yes, like you I have between 4ms and 7ms for 192.168.100.1 which is poor to say the least. Seems this issue causes issues on both sides of the network.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 23:36   #24
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambamboyo View Post
In a word, yes

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

I think possibly the more bonded channels your modem is locked on to, the worse it is. I am on 20 down / 4 up. My BQM looks much noisier than your chart. How many are you on?

You could be right - I am still on 12 downstream channels and 2 up
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 16:15   #25
Cromulent
Inactive

Services: VIVID 350, Sky Q
Cromulent is on a distinguished roadCromulent is on a distinguished road

I just signed up for VM Vivid 200 Gamer broadband and now I'm worried about the ping based on this article. I do a lot of streaming to Twitch TV and I specifically chose that package because it doesn't have any upload traffic management. So yeah online gaming and streaming are really important to me.

I actually cancelled VM about 3 months ago to switch to Sky Broadband and the experience has been dreadful. I never had any problems with VM broadband but as soon as I switched to Sky I had constant disconnects and I never got the speed I was advertised. So I signed back up with VM and I'm having it installed on Thursday. I just really need a stable internet connection. So fingers crossed this isn't going to cause me any problems.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 17:10   #26
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
I just signed up for VM Vivid 200 Gamer broadband and now I'm worried about the ping based on this article. I do a lot of streaming to Twitch TV and I specifically chose that package because it doesn't have any upload traffic management. So yeah online gaming and streaming are really important to me.

I actually cancelled VM about 3 months ago to switch to Sky Broadband and the experience has been dreadful. I never had any problems with VM broadband but as soon as I switched to Sky I had constant disconnects and I never got the speed I was advertised. So I signed back up with VM and I'm having it installed on Thursday. I just really need a stable internet connection. So fingers crossed this isn't going to cause me any problems.
Ping won't affect your upload speed to Twitch, it might however cause issues with games themselves if the ping is too high.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 18:14   #27
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

hardware wise, is there any difference between the black hub 3s and the white ones? aside from different coloured casing?
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 22:01   #28
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

They've just issued out a new superhub for me in preparation for increased speeds as im on superhub 1 at the moment.

Is superhub 3 the one with all the issues? Should i not install it for a few months then...?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 22:41   #29
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

No more issues than the SH1 has.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 23:07   #30
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
No more issues than the SH1 has.
ah i see! had mine for years so might be a nice change...
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote